Audie Murphy's 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by JoshH, May 6, 2012.

1. JoshH

JoshH New Member

I am just winding down my trip to Nashville and while walking around I came across something way to cool to not share with the forum. At the Willie Nelson Hall of Fame I came across a display of Audie Murphy's personal effects. Here's the pics.

Attached Files:

2. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Yes that is THE 1911 the most decorated war hero in American history carried during WWII!!

3. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Here's a pic of the whole display.

Attached Files:

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great post Josh! Thanks

5. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Sorry about the quality of the pics, I had to use my phone. I was kind of amazed that a little hole in the wall place like that would have his stuff. I guess Willie Nelson bought the stuff at auction. It should probably be in the Smithsonian or something.

6. kycol

kycol New Member

That is exactly where it should be the smithsonian. Thanks for the pictures.

7. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

Thank you for taking the pictures and sharing them with us.

8. Matewan

Matewan New Member

There's the Audie Murphy Museum near me in Greenville, Texas that I haven't taken the time to visit yet. Have to wonder why these artifacts aren't kept there.

9. JoshH

JoshH New Member

So I've done a little more research and apparently these items belonged to and were donated by Murphy's long time friend, songwriter Scotty Turner. His ties to Murphy are well documented but I'm not quite sure how Turner acquired the items. Will dig a little deeper and post my findings.

10. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Very nice display. I doubt very much that civilian 1911A1 Colt was ever used in WWII. This pistol was most likely owned by him after the war. That appears to by a Series 70 Colt. The gun has been damaged and the hammer is missing. There must be an interesting story hidden in all this. Thx:)

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  11. JoshH

JoshH New Member

You could be right Durango, it was displayed next to the luger pictured and was listed as his service pistol. The info could be wrong though. Wish I could've gotten the serial number off it took look into it further. It defiantly has the right amount of wear and tear on it as does the Luger. I may give a call to the museum and see if they can give me some more info perhaps even a serial number. I'll post what I find out.

12. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Thanks for sharing. Audie was a huge hero in my house growing up my Dad and his 2 brothers (all Texans) all in WW2 ran across one of the Audie's US saving bond tours he did, they all spoke very highly of that great event in their lives and of course we watched all his movies growing up,(and heard the story of how they all met him back in ww2) I must have seen "To Hell & Back" a dozen times, hell I'll still watch it when it comes on AMC.:cool:

13. JoshH

JoshH New Member

I just got off the phone with the museum and the owner is supposed to call me back this afternoon to discuss the 1911. Cross your fingers that they will give up the info on it:)

14. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Okay, pardon me for asking this but who is he? I'm not into ww2 history much so I'm curious.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Read To Hell and Back
    He is the most decorated American soldier ever. This guy had guts in places most people don't even have places. A little scrawny runt that got so sick on his way across the pond that they wanted to give him a REMF job because they didn't think he could take combat. He flatly refused.

I guess he showed them

16. cuba

cuba New Member

google google google

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Josh it would be stamped "U S Government Property". The chances of him owning a 1911 he may have carried during the war is slim. The gun pictured has Series 70 Colt grips. The finish does not look like a Parkerized military weapon. These guns were issued with plastic brown grips no medaillons after they were worked over from the orginal 1911 pistols. Note the damage and the hammer is missing. They have retracted the slide to cover the lost hammer.:)

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Cool but I'd rather have Alvin York's 1911

19. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Chainfire...I love when I see someone else use the term REMF!

20. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

I got to see the display awhile back, it was great. It was nice having a look into an american hero. Im glad that people get a chance to see it. I will be getting the book to read soon .

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk