attempted break in

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sagenodland, Aug 26, 2011.

1. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

There was an attempt to break in my home last week and my dad nor I was home and only my sister was home she knows how to shoot but when I got home my I looked at the pistol she loaded to defend herself,and found she only loaded it with one round :facepalm: so now I just keep a youth pump 20 gauge with 7 rounds of 000 buck for her to use but I would rather have her use a more manageable pistol that she knows how to use than a forin (sorry for the misspellings) pump action just I am afraid she will make the same mistake in the heat of the moment

2. xingu

xingu New Member

Dogs

Dogs can scare evil doers away and alert you prior to you having any knowledge of criminal activity. It is no replacement for training with guns, but it will help the lesser armed family members feel comfortable.

3. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

The best thing I've done in some time was to adopt
    two German Shepherds from the kill center in Orlando.
    They are the greatest burglar alarms one can invest in,
    plus a great joy and addition to the family. My buddies
    go barking mad before anyone approaches the driveway,
    let alone the front door to our home. The mailman, UPS,
    and others are usually two houses away when the dogs
    spring into action. Think about it for your sister's edge
    in getting prepared for any attempted break-in next time.

4. powg

powg New Member

east tx burgler alarm

a sign stateing ''Warning Pit bull has full blown ''aids'' and bleeding gums !:D

5. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

But alas where we live we are not aloud to have animals I believe that would be the best way to defend the home as well

6. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Why not just keep it loaded? And then tell her to just pull the slide? (im unaware of laws so maybe thats the problem)

7. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

It is a revolver and I don't like the thought of the hammer resting on a live round

8. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Keep the cassette with a blank tube. If it's a double action, all she has to do is start squeezing the trigger.

9. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

A modern Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, and many others cannot fire with fully loaded if the weapon is dropped.

Older Tauruses, Rossi revolvers, and S&Ws have a hammer block saftey, which is a latch, block or other obstruction built into the action and normally positioned to prevent the hammer contacting the cartridge primer or firing pin when at rest. Similar to the firing pin block, the obstruction to the hammer's travel is removed as a consequence of pulling the trigger. This allows the hammer to contact the primer or firing pin only when the trigger is pulled.

Newer Tauruses and Rugers have a Transfer bar safety. The hammer itself cannot contact a loaded cartridge; it must instead strike the transfer bar, which then contacts the cartridge primer with the spur or pin. The transfer bar is normally positioned out of line with the hammer's travel, but is moved into place by the normal action of the trigger, providing similar "drop safety". The bar is not raised until the trigger is pulled so there is no chance the hammer can contact the firing pin; therefore the pin cannot contact the primer and fire the weapon.

If its a Ruger and it doesn't have a transfer bar, its is a old model Blackhawk or Vaquero?
    If so then just leave the chamber in front of the firing pin empty and your GTG.

If its a double action Ruger, what model? IIRC, all ruger DA revolvers have a transfer bar safety. I am a collector of old Ruger DAs and I have never seen one without a drop safety.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  10. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Its a ruger but doesn't have to transfer bar safety I know what it looks like on the post 64 winchester 94 had them

11. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

If it doesn't have a transfer bar, its is a old model Blackhawk or Vaquero?
    If so then just leave the chamber in front of the firing pin empty and your GTG.

If its a double action, what model? IIRC, all ruger DA revolvers have a transfer bar safety. I am a collector of old Ruger DAs and I have never seen one without a drop safety.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  12. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

It is indeed a vaquero in 45 LC we also have a single six with 22 mag but that is hardly a defence round

13. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Cool, I love the old model vaqueros, I have one myself. Nice gun!

Just load 5 chambers and leave the one in front of the firing pin empty. Like that you could run it over and it wouldn't go off. All she will have to do is cock the hammer and its GTG.

14. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Load five leave one isn't that an old cowboy saying?

15. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Yup, they had to load 5 because the firing pin would contact the primer of the round in front of the hammer.

16. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I actually like the half cock safety more than the transfer bar safety

17. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Maybe you just aren't that kind of person (you prefer revolvers) or might prefer to spend the money on something else, but maybe a 1911 or a 'plastic gun' or something along those lines might be a good option? It would mean that instead of six shots (or five) an inexperienced shooter who is caught in the moment can have maybe double that, just in case aim is off, or there are more than one? (just my 2 cents :p)