Attack on Pearl Harbour

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by hairbear1, Dec 6, 2014.

1. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

7th of December here in Australia and it's also the day the USA entered WW2 courtesy of Japan.

Lest We Forget to those who lost their lives.

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

It's tomorrow here, hairybear. All of us "war babies" will remember.
    Thanks for the early reminder.

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I'm in Pearl as we speak.

My grandmom grew up here and vividly remembers being a kid when the Japanese Zeroes flew right over her.

Looking at Aloha tower right now... I cant even imagine what that must've looked like.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

For the last few years, I have been telling young folks the story.

I guess many of the schools don't teach it anymore.:eek:

5. TLuker

TLuker New Member

They quit teaching it along time ago. :(

I was taking a college class when 9/11 happened and the professor compared it to Pearl Harbor. One girl raised her hand and asked the professor what Pearl Harbor was. I was expecting to hear a bunch of laughing but it was silent. The professor paused for a minute in disbelief and then told every that didn't know what Pearl Harbor was to raise their hand. Almost every hand in the class went up. :(:(:(

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The younger kids do not get much history. Today schools focus more on sociology, social studies. Schools cannot let history get in the way of the liberal agenda.

7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a girl in my history class last year ask if America was a country. ....

8. TLuker

TLuker New Member

That happened in a sociology class! :rolleyes:

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Main reason I will NOT buy a Japanese Automobile !...................

10. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

But you will buy an American car full of Japanese parts.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The Japanese owe us as much for Pearl Harbor as we owe the blacks for slavery. ;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

My dad, who is 101 years old now, says every red blooded American, after the Japs bombed Pearl, commenced pissing red, white, and blue and enlisted. My dad was 28 years old when he enlisted in the Army Air Corps. (a little old even then) and served till 1945.

13. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

My father in law, to my first wife, was already in the Air Corps and ended up flying B-17's over Germany not that long after they attacked Pearl.

14. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Sad and shameful. What have we become?

15. Balota

My mom's family had 5 boys and 2 girls. All 5 boys, plus my dad and my uncle, went to war. Most went to the Pacific theater, two to Europe. They were luckier than most, only one died during the war. Mom and Aunt worked in factories making parachutes, bandages, any kind of cloth stuff. I grew up hearing a lot of politically incorrect invective whenever Japan was mentioned in any context. Pissing red, white and blue is an apt description.

16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

My biological grand dad was on the USS Wyoming (BB32) in WWI and WWII. My grandmothers 9th husband had fought the Japs through several islands in the Pacific Theater and was the only one in the family, extended or otherwise, with any real hatred for them up until he passed away in 1982.

My father in law to my first wife spoke of those "damn Messerschmitt's", fear of flak, and how the god damn Air Corp. lied to him about rotation. He did this mostly after he had a bit too much to drink and never spoke of it when he was sober.

17. Balota

They mostly didn't talk about the war, probably like most soldiers who have seen combat. I know one was an MP (my dad), one was a mechanic working on LSTs in the Pacific (my uncle), one was a bomber pilot, not sure about the others.

18. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

A mate's father was at Milne Bay when the Japs hit the beaches there. Mate said his Dad never said much about it but he did say that he once mentioned that when the landing craft doors opened the Diggers layed into the Japs with everything they had and basically slaughtered them to the last man even to the extent of shooting the wounded because they hated the Japs that much.

This was one of the 1st big defeats the Japs copped during the Coral Sea/ Pacific campaign.

The Diggers gave as good as they got and there is/was still a lot of hate amongst the old Diggers against the Japs especially those who were on the Burma Rail Line as prisoners.

19. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Wow, Nine Husbands, thats a heck of a run for sure. God bless her, she sounds like she had her hands full!

Its really interesting to note just how many of our man relatives fought In WW1 and WW2 (most of them). Just as interesting to note that most of their women picked up on the war effort the day they left. The Germans and Japanese actually changed our entire society with those wars. Neither of them realized Rosie the Riveter and her friends would be our #1 Supply and logistics officers on the homefront. Without them manning the torpedo assembly lines, we would have never won either war.

Im not sure what inspired Japan to attack us at Pearl, they made a huge mistake when they did. Thats the only comparison I give 9/11 with Pearl. They picked the biggest bees nest in the free world to whack and only hit it hard enough to piss off the entire hive. Atta and his buddies had lots of friends following them to Alla Ville soon after their short lived success poking the sleeping giant. For what? Like the Japanese, their follow through after had teeth far smaller than Us in the US, our fangs were ready to chomp and chomp we did!

The Japanese really needed to capture those islands immediately following the attack to have any chance at the mainland, they lost any momentum they gained in the surprise attack due to the fact they only destroyed ships and damaged ground and didnt gain any stronghold to operate danger close to the USA.

The wonder of us in The USA is that even injured, were more prepared to end a fight we didnt start than the provocateurs are to win a fight they started.

20. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member