ATI GSG-5 (1st generation) value/reliability?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Garandman1945, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

Hi all, I've been looking for a good relatively reliable/accurate .22 semi for plinking and to round out my SHTF collection.
    A buddy of mine is trying to sell me his ATI GSG-5, the rifle, two stocks, one folding, one straight. two handguards, one with rails one without, and a foregrip. as well as 2 25 round mags, and a piece to connect them.
    Anyone familiar with these? Are they good shooters? What would you value this at?

Pics below...

BEFORE ANYONE SAYS IT I AM NOT LOOKING TO GET A 10/22! I'm asking about the aforementioned gun only.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1397601359.516365.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1397601501.453227.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1397601511.221367.jpg
    Thanks!
    Garandman

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

We're all gonna ask, how much does he want for it? Palmetto stare armory has the new gsg 522 for 350. I read the older ones were more similar to the mp5 than the new ones but due to a lawsuit they had to change a few things. I want one and the people I've asked about them said they were nice. If its in really good shape I would offer no more than 400 if it was me.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Depends on which one you get. The Walther/Umarex one might be better reliability wise, butI have not heard much on the GSG, except for a lemon here or there. My Wife still wants one,..but there are other Guns she wants ahead of that...If i can Get a Folding stock that would fit, we'd both rather have the AK-22 From GSG/Rock Island....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

He wants $300 for everything and it is the pre-lawsuit model.

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Is it functioning well? Since he's a Friend(i'm assuming,.I could be wrong) ask Him to let you shoot(with him present-you provide the ammo) 50 rounds through it, checking out each Mag he's providing, and run a full loadout through at least one if you still have concerns. someone wanted to sell me a 10/22 in 22Wmr. He agreed to let me shoot 100 Rounds of the ammo he was going to give me(300 total). 2 of his 3 Rotary Magazines would not run a full load(jammed on either the 8th or 9th round),,, and his Pro Mag 25 Rounder would only hold 24, and cycle through 22 rounds. I had to pass considering he would not com e down on the price, since i'd have to find and buy new Mags just to shoot it reliably...
    Edit: this was at the Highest Point of the silliness we have been enduring. 3 months ago he finally sold it to another friend of ours for considerably less then orig. price

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014