ATF Visits

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by clr8ter, Apr 17, 2013.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

NOT including the people who hold FFLs: Have you ever been visited by the ATF? Or gotten a letter about a gun you own? Or anything like that? I work with a guy who says he has. They sent his son a letter about an AR he had, which he says is legal, but the way he explained it sounds like there is something "different" about it. He also mentioned yesterday that the ATF will visit you if you buy 4 or more guns in a 12 month period. He says the ATF came to his house one time and checked out all the guns in the house, and took one, because "papers" couldn't be produced for it. And w/o a search warrant, BTW.

All this sounds odd to me.........how easy/hard is it to prompt a visit? (When you are legal, anyway)

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And as Paul Harvey says- "The REST of the story...."

is what you need here- and I will throw the BS flag, and call a 5 yard penalty.

CAN you get a visit from the ATF? Sure- in the investigation of a criminal matter- and yes, I have been contacted- when they were doing a trace of a gun found at a murder scene.

And they obviously have the right to inspect the licensed premises of a license holder.

Beyond that, they are like any other law enforcement officer. They cannot enter premises of a non-licensee unless invited, or on the basis of a search warrant. And there is no magic number of guns a year that triggers a visit. However, if you buying could indicate a pattern of "engaging in the business" of buying/selling, and you have no license, that can trigger a visit.

Can they walk in, demand you open a safe, take guns without your consent, and without a warrant? No.

You are not getting an accurate or complete story there.

3. opaww

opaww New Member

I and my son have been contacted once each about a weapon that was used in a crime that we had owned and sold

4. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

An auctioneer who does weekly consignment auctions sold some long guns; about 2 weeks later ATF shows up at the auction house during the day, wearing all black, vests, etc. Scared the heck out of the office girls. They spent 15 minutes intimidating the owner and another hour "visiting". His license allows him to auction firearms as long as they are transferred thru a dealer, who is present at all gun sales. They insinuated that he may or may not be following the law in his transactions, but they would stop by from time to time to make sure he was. He wasn't happy and made sure they knew it.

5. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Nope never. I had the FBI and the Texas Rangers show up before.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Story time??

7. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Never because of a gun purchase/sale since the ATF was organized and I have a CWFL and a C&R lic., and bought multiple guns at a time. I was checked several years ago for a very large group of six people ammo purchase. The agent was very nice, dressed in normal street cloths, presented his ID and requested my permission to see the shipping order. After reviewing the shipping order and my explanation of the purchase he thanked me and departed. I no longer use my credit card to make large ammo purchases:D

8. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

If that was true then I should have been visited several times in 1998 when I bought 5-6 guns in a 12 month period.

9. yoteseeker

yoteseeker New Member

If you want a visit from them,purchase a dillon 1050 reloader.

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Nice machine, but impratical for a single reloader.

Jim

11. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Nothing to tell. A long time buddy of mine was in some serious trouble with the law and they wanted to know if I was involved. He got 75 years and I am still a free man.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Had an ATF agent show up one Sunday morning. Taking his son fishing and hadn't bought any beer on Saturday. Wanted to borrow a six pack!:D

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Agreed. After hearing these stories, (from this particular guy, and he has more than one), I am always left scratching my head.

14. mymaro

mymaro New Member

I highly doubt that they will show up if you purchase more then 5 in one year because I have bought more then three in a month. This year I have purchased over 5 and no visits. Im pretty sure if you purchase more then 2 pistols in one week from the same dealer, the dealer is required to inform the atf

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Man there's been a few times where I've bought more than one at a time and done that a few times in as year. Never seen any men in black. Hell, I've seen a case of SKS rifles get traded for a few pallets of dog chow and it wasn't flagged. Back in the day if you hung around Buds Gun Shop you could see all kinds of crazy going on.:D

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

LOL, now that's an interesting trade. I'm surprised the govt. didn't want to know what that guy was doing with so many dogs.....