Firearms Talk banner

At What Range do you sight in

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  tuck2 
#1 ·
I don't know if this has been discussed here before. I am just curious, at what range do you sight in your .22 Long rifles?? I sight mine in at 50 yards, then figure the drop at 100 yards( and practice this a lot). I do this because where I live, there are not too many shots that you will get at over 50 yards. I'm just kinda curious how everyone else sights in thiers.

#2 ·
I start at 25yds. to get a feel for it, then move to 50.

#3 ·
I sight in at 50 and then figure the drop at 100. Man, that sounds familiar...

My Anschutz Sporter is sighted in at 100, though.

#6 ·
I generally sight mine in at 75 lately. I used to sight mine in at 200 when I was at an actual range. I love seeing the faces of the guys when I'd set up at the 200 yard bench and then proceed to bust the 4" clays at pieces, then bust up the pieces. When I'm on my place, I sight in at 75 yards. Then I can guesstimate other distances.

#7 ·
I generally sight mine in at 75 lately. I used to sight mine in at 200 when I was at an actual range. I love seeing the faces of the guys when I'd set up at the 200 yard bench and then proceed to bust the 4" clays at pieces, then bust up the pieces. When I'm on my place, I sight in at 75 yards. Then I can guesstimate other distances.
I love your term of " guesstimate " I to have always done that. Cant afford a laser rangefinder, and I'd probably forget that I even had the stupid thing.

#11 ·
According to Wikipedia, (I got really bored and looked up some of the calibers I use.) IF your using it for small game, 75 yds is the best becuz the rise of a .22LR at 50yds if the gun is zeroed for 100yds is roughly 2.5 Inches. With the drop at 150 being somewhere around 6 or 7 inches.

I was actually just going to ask something similar to this becuz I just ordered a scope for my Marlin M60.

#12 ·
I shoot irons on plinkers I killed a rabbit with at two hundred with a marlin 39m. My competition gun 50 the than a 100.

#13 ·
#16 · (Edited)
I site in Winchester PP HP 22 ammo in at 60 yards in my Ruger 10-22 T and Anschultz 1710 rifle. The Kimber 82 22 WMR is sited in with Winchester 40 Gr bullets at 90 yards. Before getting 17 RF rifles I shot a bunch of prairie dogs with the three rifles. I dont know that it would make much difference if they where sited in at 50 and or 100 yards. IF you do a lot of shooting you get to know when to hold under, right on and over at various ranges. One time I set out targets starting at 10 yards and increased them in 10 yard ranges out to 110 yards . Shot five rounds each at the eleven targets with a Ruger 10-22 T rifle with Burris 6 X Target AO scope sited in at 60 yards. The only way you can know what your 22 will do with any brand ammo is set up targets at various ranges and shoot your rifle off a bench rest..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.