At what distance do you mainly practice at

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by purehavoc, Oct 19, 2011.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Just asking because I normally shoot from around 30-60 ft depending on the handgun . Whats the usual standard procedure out there ?

2. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

2 to 4 yards at the advice of many on this site

3. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Depends on what you're practicing for. Competition, you want longer ranges. Self defense, you want shorter ranges. Fun, it's up to you.

4. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

I start at 2 yards for 3 magazines (51 rounds) then a couple mags at 4 yards. Take it out to 7 yards for a few more magazines. A magazine at 10 yards or so, a couple at 17 yards (the max at the indoor range I frequent) and then I'll finish with 2-3 magazines back at 2-4 yards

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

what kind of shooting are we talking about? If you are talking about defensive shooting then most of my practice takes place at 7 yards. I do vary it from 5 to 20 but most is at 7.

If you are talking about pistol hunting then the sky is the limit. I'll practice from 7 yards out to 50 when those ranges are available. If I'm confined to an indoor range then most takes place at 20-25yards.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

While most practice with the handgun is between 15 and 25 yards, I vary it to include some 2 yards out to 100 yards.

I use USPSA/IPSC practice targets for all ranges.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  7. Kevin1047

Kevin1047 New Member

I practiced to begin with at 30 yards with my Glock 27,just to check accuracy,does very well so I know they will die when they come in my house uninvited!!!!! (Night sights) always help.

8. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Anywhere from 1 yard out to 100 yards for fun. Amazing how accurate a pistol can be when you try and extend the range out.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I always start at 3ft and fire 3 rounds from the hip,then i move to 5yds and fire 2 chest 1 head. From there its 5 rounds at 10yds, then i finish with 5 rounds at 20yds. I still stay close to the way CLEET Trains, i just add a few more rounds and dont go further than 20yds. If im just plinking around for trainings sake i will venture out at 30 and 40yds but i keep my main focus from 20yds and in.. Happy shooting fellas

10. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I mainly shoot at 5-7 yards because that is what was recommended at the range for handgun/self defense type practice. I know some people on here have been shooting for years and shoot well a lot farther out, but I am not one of them and I want to become very accurate and more experienced with distances that are more practical for self defense for now.

Does anyone participate in a practical pistol league? The woman at the gun range keeps inviting me and my dad to try it out sometime. One of the customers heard her and said, "Yeah, we need someone new to show us old guys up." They seem like a friendly group; I just don't know a whole lot about it or what to expect. And I would have to get some more magazines first.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

For self defense practice, I shoot at 7 yards. For fun and skill practice, I shoot at 25 or 50 yards.

12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I shoot at mainly 20 yards with my revolver but for self defense I shoot at 10-15ft depending on the setup or my mood.

13. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

That's funny, but I was in the lane next to an idiot actually doing that. He had brought his girlfriend and that was as far away as she could hit the target. After the third time I took a hit in the face from target blowback I told him to move the effing target.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Try it, you'll like it. I miss my days of competing.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Any where from 5 to 25 yds.

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Range practice/shooting is .5-25 yds (1.5-75 ft) with any handgun. Any thing over that distance becomes rifle territory for me.

17. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

7-15 yards for me. I'm a "newb" pistol shooter.

18. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

One Inch -to- One Hundred Yards......that's where all the bad stuff happens.

I do all my OH S*** drills from muzzle distance to about 5 yards, then move out from there.

I usually begin and finish a range session with pure back to basics bullseye (with a .22 pistol and my carry gun), just to keep the fundamentals in line and to "warm up, then cool down".

Then I move my targets around, do El Prez drills, retention drills, shoot and scoot, you name it.

I shoot steel (USPSA) every Tuesday and Thursday, and IDPA at least two Sundays per month.

Keeps the Dillon a hummin'

19. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Not much of a pistol guy but do practice alot with rifle between 100 and 1000 yards. Most of the last 20 years I've shot at 100 yards with rifle.

20. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

Across the country, havoc, I would be surprised if there was a "usual standard procedure", but I think your 10-20 yards is in the ball park from those who have already posted.

As already pointed out, it depends a lot on what type of shooting you are doing. If you are working on your marksmanship skills it is probably more important what size and shape your target is, than the distance to target. If you are working on your defensive skills, there is another element in the marksmanship skill you need in addition to the type/size of target and distance to target, and that is time on target/time on hit.

Many of the shooters I observe shooting at 3 yards at a full size silhouette target are happy with 3-5" groups somewhere around COM with no time limits. This is actually a good start, but certainly nothing to remain satisfied with if they are practicing or training to improve.

Although schools and instructors can run almost any qualification for the Arizona CCW course, it must include the minimum of 5 rounds at 5 yards, and 5 rounds at 10 yards. In the past the AZ-POST minimum handgun daylight qualification included 3, 7, 15, and 25 yards (with 50 yards being used by the AGFD). Although I think recently AZ-POST may have made minor changes.

During our Level-II Handgun (somewhere around 15 hours of training), we offer an opportunity for students to try out 100 yards. All of them are amazed at the accuracy of their handguns at what to most would appear an extreme distance. During advance training we often will stretch that distance another 100 yards and sometimes even farther. However, that is balanced with muzzle to target (zero distance) and a whole lot of 2-15 yard distances.

Shooting and hitting at longer distances (50-200 yards) is no doubt a confidence builder, but it does bring up the practicality issue. Myself, I work on getting time on target/time on hit, face target (about 2" size target area) out to 15 yards, during 25% of my training, with the other 75% spent attempting to get a hit in any vital area of the face/upper chest, while moving, at multiple silhouette treats of varying exposure, and from various positions, with and without both feet, both hands, both eyes. I will use maybe 5% every other sessions, to work on long distance and maximum short distance accuracy.