At the Range with RRA LAR .308

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BB98338, Sep 9, 2012.

1. BB98338

BB98338 New Member

Today I was trying to sight in the rifle. Shooting American Eagle 150 gr Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail. Scope is Nikon 4.5-14X with BDC. This is the best group I could get at 100 yds. I am at a loss. I was shooting off a Led Sled rest and am quite disappointed with the accuracy. Any suggestions on trouble shooting would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

RRA guarantees 1MOA accuracy at 100yds

start off at 25yds and get zeroed. once you can achieve a good group there move on out to 50yds and repeat then move on out to 100yds and repeat.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

RRA guarantees 1 MOA with MATCH ammo. The eagle stuff may not be the best benchmark for accuracy. See if you can find a box of Gold Medal Match. If that won't shoot then you have a problem. Also make sure every thing is tight. Scope mount bases. Scope ring tops. Mounts in the sled. Muzzle device. Any other variable. To include designating to the exact point for each shot and having you head in the exact position each time you sight it. Same magnification and parallax adjustment etc.

Not trying to insult you if any of the above seem really obvious but ther are still a lot of variables even with the use of a sled.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Buy a box of Hornady Custom 150 grain SST's, they will group for you and are good balance of cost vs performance. Oh, great deer round also.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

The rra barrels are designed to shoot 168grn boat tail hollow points. 150grn ball ammo boat tail or not is just basic machine gun ammo. Better results from that by loading em into a slingshot.

Your only going to get superior results from only a few hard to find factory brands or handloading.

6. heavyliftn

heavyliftn New Member

I have had the same issue but have not started at 50 yds i juat started at 100 yds and was in the target but grouping was crap. I nees to start shorter and see if that helps. Also I was using winchester fml 165 gr.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want match grade accuracy, you're going to need match grade ammo.

8. BB98338

BB98338 New Member

I just bought 5 boxes of the 165 grain Hornady custom match ammo. I will see how that works our and report back.

9. heavyliftn

heavyliftn New Member

I won't lie I have been buying cheap ammo and have beeb all over the place. I just didn't think it wld be that bad. Also is it better to just buy the gear and do my own loads cause i wld love to get at some longer distances.

10. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Reloading will give you the best results, but you really have to want to reload and enjoy doing it or there is no point in starting. There's a steep learning curve and it requires dedication.

You can still get good results with factory ammo. Before reloading I would buy 5 or 6 boxes of different quality ammo whenever I got a new rifle. I would then try each box to find what the gun liked. Every gun is different and has different preferences.

11. Buckeyeborn

Buckeyeborn New Member

Be sure the scope is rock solid just a little flex will cause those results I have seen it too

12. BB98338

BB98338 New Member

I got an email from Rock River Arms that recommended Sierra Match King 175 grain. Seems like everyone is out of that right now (Midway, Bass Pro, Sportmans Warehouse). Will get on the waiting list. My dad has a bunch of reloading stuff and I may give that a try too.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hmm yeah thats not really that grand is it . hell even with cheap ammo I would have guessed it could shoot 3moa but I guess I was wrong. Let us know how it goes with better ammo will ya

14. heavyliftn

heavyliftn New Member

This is something else I have worried about. I have a Sight Optics scope. I mean its not top of the line but its not a flea market scope either. I did research before buying and reciews were good. I know to really get oit there im gonna have to drop some more money. I have been looking at some Trijicon scopes I just not in a place to drop 3 or 4Gs.

15. Buckeyeborn

Buckeyeborn New Member

The best scope in a poor mount is recipe for misery

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Please don't take this personally but, have you ever shot for groups before? What's the best you've even done?

In my personal opinion, shooting is limited by the shooter's ability, then the gun, lastly the ammo.

Also when I'm referring to gun, that includes all hardware, like optics....ever think your optic and mount may not hold zero with a 308's recoil?

17. heavyliftn

heavyliftn New Member

I don't take anything personal unless directed right at me. I have shot good groups with my AR and 30-30. Thats why this 308 has got me baffled. It was so bad I left the range went back home got my AR came back to the range just to make sure it wasn't me. I checked mounts to make sure they weren't coming loose, chked bipod to make sure it wasn't loose, made sure chk plates and eye relief with scope are good.

18. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

1. regardless of ammo, there shoulda been some kind of
    grouping, whether 2 or 3 rounds or more;
    2. how long is the barrel?;
    3. how far didju start your shootin from? (start @ 25 yds);
    4. 50mm scope? make damn sure the bell is not touchin
    rifle;
    5. are your scope rings adequate size for that scope?;
    6. make sure the scope ring screws are tight;
    7. make sure the scope ring, base screws are tight;
    8. make sure forearm DOES NOT have any undue play;