At the range today I noticed something

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JD1969, Nov 7, 2011.

1. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Please don't take this as a post about how I think I shoot better than anyone else, I don't think that and that's not the point of my post.
    So, at the range today there were a few other shooters. Most were shooting .45's, 9mm's a couple .22's and a .40 or two and a DE .44 Supermag. All these shooters were sending the targets out to about 15-20 feet. I was really surprised at poorly these people were shooting. Granted they could be new shooters or maybe they had new guns or maybe they were working out some kind of issue, but most of them were there with at least two, if not three or more handguns and they were shooting them all. I would never say anything critical to anyone about their shooting at the range, but I do wonder if they are trying to get better or are they just ingraining old, bad habits further into their muscle memory, I am a subscriber to the old saying that "practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes does". I generally only worry about myself at the range, but I have a bit of a competitive streak in me and I can't help but compare myself to others, if only to gauge my own progress. Anyone else notice this at you local range?

2. fmj

fmj New Member

When at the range i generally try to strike up conversation and if someone is shooting poorly try to give friendly advice. I know i have learned a LOT from others when they were nice enough to offer advice in a friendly manner.

But i have also met those that pull the "me and my (insert type/brand/cal. gun) are the best."

Met a guy one day "teaching" his daughters boyfriend about guns. He had a 000001 serial # Kimber that he was just full of himself about. Now my springer is a VERY well used machine and is need of a rebuild. (Barrel and bushing) and he looked down his nose and talked it down. (ina friendly way :rolleyes:)

Well he steps up and cuts loose with his Kimber. Puts 7 rounds all over a 12" paper plate and says "now THATS how you shoot a .45". My youngest looks at him and started to say something. I all but had to gag the kid! (he often wags his tongue before thinking) I then load up the Springer, and cut loose (before i had just been doing rapid fire drill and my patterns were decidedly large...hitting all on a standard sheet of notebook paper) with an eye towards hitting the bull....i dropped 6 of 7 in one ragged hole.

The kimber shooters daughter then pipes off and says "I want HIM (meaning me) to teach us, daddy!! :eek::D

:::Disclaimer::

I am by no means a perfect shot,nor professional caliber shooter. i just like to shoot and shoot a lot.

3. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I really don't feel that I am at a point to give advice yet. I have been shooting since I was 8 years old, but mostly shotgun and rifle, I have only been into handguns for about 5 years and only recently have I been putting in any real time at the range. I do study a lot, read and research and observe. I am a pretty good visual learner, I can pretty much watch someone and copy them after a few minutes. This comes from decades of intense ski coaching (I used to be a ski racer) I think being aware of your body and your balance is a huge thing in any sport. I am the new guy at my local range and I don't want to step on any toes. I do want to get some real training soon but that might have to wait until summer.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

This is why I have one handgun right now (hoping to change that with a 1911 purchase in a few months). Someone give me the source of one of my favorite quotes, as I can't remember, "Beware the man with only one gun. Chances are, he knows how to use it."

5. fmj

fmj New Member

Same here friend.

But ANYONE can learn from ANYONE of ANY skill level. That is one irrefutible truth i have learned in my days. One never knows where the next lesson will come from. Only those that think they know it all, are not capable of learning...and vice versa when it comes to teaching. Learning is in the ability of the student to accept the knowledge...no matter the source.

6. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

This is not that uncommon at the many ranges I have visited over the years. The more public the range, the more common. The less public, less common. If someone asks, I will help, if not I stay to myself, unless there is a safety issue.

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I used to think that being able to stand still, and blow the ten ring out of a piece of paper was an accomplishment.

Its not, because with practice, anyone can do it.

Being one of the top IDPA shooters in my area, I now realize what an accomplishment is.

8. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Well, although I do like to mingle at the range I usually just leave people to their own devices. I personally like to shoot bullseye so at the pistol range all of my targets are set at a minimum of 25 yards. I find it pointless to shoot pistols at 21 feet, but, to each his own. No sport in my opinion. What I find even more interesting is the guy who has a .223 rifle and sets his targets 10 yards away. Now that IS POINTLESS.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not having seen what you describe I have no idea how badly the others were shooting but from my personal experience I know that I do not always shoot for groups at the range. Often times I am working on trigger pull, follow up shots, double taps, etc. I am happy when all shots hit center mass, afterall there are no multiple levels of dead bad guy. :)

Perhaps this is what you are seeing as well.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I usually go to the range alone. I would hope that if someone saw me doing something wrong, they would politely come and correct me. I don't know how else I'll learn. And I like meeting new people. :D

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually dont say anything unless asked or if I see something dangerous. I recently stopped an English tourist that had never shot a pistol before. He had his left thumb over his hand behind the slide.

12. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I usually don't offer much help unless I'm asked. I'm not a bad pistol shooter, but I know I'm definitely not the best and have some bad habits that I try to work out of when I go to the range. I usually get the questions about shooting when I'm on the rifle range. I'm a much better shot with a rifle than a pistol and of course that's because pistols aren't designed with lefties in mind, well at least that's what I like to tell myself. :D

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Charter arms makes left handed revolvers.

14. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I'm actually a better pistol shot with my weak hand and honestly I think that would actually be weird. It's just like anything else us lefties have to adapt and overcome. I use scissors in my right hand cause I can't cut with my left hand.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Owning handguns, and shooting handguns doesn't mean you know what you are doing. A couple of hours instruction with any shooter that isn't scared of his/her pistol should have them hitting a 9" target consistantly at 21 feet.

It is far easier to take a student who has never shot and get him/her on target than to take a life-long shooter who never learned the basics and try to un-learn their bad habits.

16. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Most SD situations happen at less than 10 feet, I don't see how it is pointless to practice in that range. I like to send the paper out far at the range too, it's fun to shoot but I try to mix it up.

That's what I was thinking might be going on. If they are hitting center mass I suppose that is what really matters.

17. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I usually don't spend my time critiquing other shooters. Maybe that's because I do not have an unlimited amount of money and can only justify going o the range a handful of times each year. Regardless though when I am there I have no attention focused on what others are shooing let alone there grouping.
    Do you look at other peoples clothing? Apparently you have the tendency to judge others based on, well no solid facts. May e you should focus on your shooting and not that of others, thats what I do at least.

18. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Did you read my first post? I don't think I am a better shooter than anyone else, as I stated. I am an observant person and tend to notice things. I notice what guns other people have, I do tend to notice how people are dressed IMO it is part of being aware of your surroundings. I pay attention to the world around me, but I am not passing judgment on anyone, just wondering if other people see the same things I do, or if I am maybe missing something that the other shooters are working on and that maybe I should too. I think you are the one passing judgement on me without knowing me or the facts.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Good reply. It was a solid observation. And your right, situational awareness means being aware. Some time you may have to be a witness, and it's good practice to notice things others wouldn't, like a worn out pair of reeboks.

20. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Its sad how often I see it. joe shmo drops $1500 on a handgun and becomes an expert marksman overnight. Look at me and my..."brand" ..... This is the only gun that matters in the world. You have a what!? Ewww, you bought that? Its annoying, I just keep to myself at the public ranges.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.