Astronaut Neil Armstrong has died at age 82

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

RIP Commander! You will be missed. :(

JD

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I remember clearly that day and the era. It was a great and exciting time to be a kid when the role models like Armstrong were a truly positive influence on our lives and the lives of Americans on the whole. Such a stark contrast to today.

Rest in Peace Commander!

5. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Sad day :(

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCt1BwWE2gA[/ame]

6. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

...and one giant leap for Neil.....it's his turn. RIP, Neil.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Godspeed Commander Armstrong and thank you :)

8. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Little known to most. Buzz Aldrin gave communion to Armstrong in the module before exiting for the moon. Nasa knew about it but cut transmission to the public at last minute.

Recreation of the event in link.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zEZvPg1itw[/ame]

9. bkt

bkt New Member

It's a shame he didn't live to see us make going to the moon a frequent event. Thanks for your service, sir, and rest in peace.

10. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Lots of people admired him. Just because you don't talk about someone 24/7 doesn't mean you don't appreciate them being alive :rolleyes:

Neil Armstrong (1930-2012) was not entirely human. He was the spiritual repository of our spacefaring dreams & ambitions. In death, a little bit of us all dies with him. Farewell my friend. And now, perhaps more than ever, I bid you godspeed. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

11. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

interesting observation

His name, spelled backwards, is "Gnorts, Mr. Alien!"

12. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I laughed.

When I die not that anyone will give a **** but you can all make jokes or whatever....that's just how some people do.

13. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

To be honest, if you have read up on teh guy - he would have hated all of this glitz and glamour =)

Don't get me wrong, he absolutely deserves it, but after reading about him, I honestly believe he'd take a light hearted joke of a History Channel documentary =D

14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Farewell to an American hero, a man of honor and achievement.

If anyone is ever in northwest Ohio take time to stop in the museum dedicated to him.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Careful. Shihan is a former Marine and has served during war time.

And that killer redhead thread was mostly supplied by his wife. ROFL

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I don't think that respect and humor are mutually exclusive by any means. Armstrong was a genuinely humble man with a good sense of humor and I find that to be very admirable. To be sure, I would be very surprised if there is not a good deal of laughter at his service which I believe is a healthy way to mourn one's passing.

But I would doubt very much that he would have approved of disrespectful humor.

17. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

To call Whitney Houston a singer is selling her a bit short. Yes, she had a great voice and all, but she was also a role model for many people who wanted to be singers. She modeled a life that many people in today's world admire and strive to achieve themselves. A life of endless parties, drug use, alcoholism, abuse and on and on. She was a hero to probably every wannabe celebrity who has appeared on American Idol.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am not only absolutely stunned that Obama has not ordered flags to half mast for Armstrong, I am outraged that he did so for Houston. Did not know that before now.:mad:

19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Newsflash: obama buys large dumptruck to hold all his a$$hat awards.