Firearms Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that brought me his Astra Model A-70 and he said it wasn't ejecting the rounds,I took it completely apart cleaned it well and it ejects fine now but when firing it half way thru 7 rd mag it locks open,,releasing the slide it fires the rest fine and ejects fine.My thinking it might be a magazine problem??? What do you think fellows.No parts available as far as I could find either.Can't believe he didn't buy a decent pistol.My best regards to everyone,Larry

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Sounds like a weak mag spring issue...
or weak ammo issue, Astra's were made for hot loads.

Also, do not use the finger groove on the bottom of the mag
(if it has them) to place fingers on...
all that does is put pressure on the mag during firing & cause issues.

Got some pics??

·
Retired
13,590 Posts
This may or may not be the problem, but...

If the magazine lips are getting weak, the magazine follower could be hitting the slide stop before the magazine is empty. Check for minute cracks in the magazine. Especially the aft top part of the magazine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Speaking of Astra pistols....I have an Astra A100 pistol. Can never find a spare mag for it listed anywhere. Do you know if any other designated ( IE A70/A80/A90) mags will fit the A100? Or where I can get a spare A100 mag? Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Responding to original issue if A-70 stoppage midway thru mag...This phenomenon was mentioned in GREAT COMBAT HANDGUNS by Leroy Thompson and Rene Smeets., page 72.
The cause is improper assembly of slide stop lever. Looking at the 2 slide stop ports in the frame on left side. The forward one for the shaft. And the rear square one for the lock up. The book says if the slide lock is installed ABOVE THE VISIBLE SPRING, this malfunction will occur. SLIDE STOP LOCK UP END MUST BE INSTALLED BELOW THE VISIBLE SPRING, to operate properly.
A shame that this capable handgun should be maligned by this design eccentricity.
Other models like A 75 and 80/90/100 may or may not be vulnerable to this.

Good shooting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts