Assault

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by coyote_killer3, Apr 24, 2012.

1. coyote_killer3

coyote_killer3 New Member

A few hours ago I caught a burglar in my house trying to get out with a laptop and my 22 250. He shattered my gun cabinet and knocked me out giving me a black eye and a couple of broken ribs. Lucky I am still alive and he dropped the gun. Needless to say I am thinking about getting a glock just in case. Any cal suggestions?

Thanks,
    Riley

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

WOW!!! I'm really glad you are okay. You must be pretty shaken up. I hope you heal alright and the police are able to find this guy.

Are you saying you don't have a handgun? I guess there is something to be said about carrying all the time.

You asked the age-old question. It seems to me that 9mm or .45acp would be the two primary choices. The Glock 17 has 17 rounds of 9mm protective power. The Glock 21 has 13 rounds of awesomeness. I think you'd be fine with either.

Definitely choose caliber first, and then go on a safari to find the right sidearm for you! Maybe Glock and maybe not...

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

9, 40, or 45... quite helpful, don't you think.

Ok... here's something helpful. DON'T GET A GLOCK!

Oh... and very sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope they give you a bat and 60 seconds when they catch the dirtbag.

4. coyote_killer3

Yeah I'm fine it just scared the family. My dad has a glock 40 and swears by it. But I'm liking on the 1911 Rugers. But that's a pretty good chunk of change.

Thanks,
    Riley

5. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I know u want a 1911or a glock but check out the kel tec pf9 its a great lil gun and a lot easier on the wallet then a good 1911and a glock plus in the future u can always sale it or trade it to get a 1911 or glock just throwing it on the table.

And im sorry to here about what happen man I hope u heal up soon so u can get that 250 back in the woods and lay a smack down on a coyote;)

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. coyote_killer3

I'll check into it. Thanks guys. I hope to get it back soon

Thanks,
    Riley

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah what he said. Handle or shoot different guns and see what is more comfortable. I prefer smith m&p.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Since your new to handguns i would suggest a xdm in 9mm 19+1 capacity hardcase 2 mags holster mag holder. The trigger is waaaaay better than glock and easier to shoot.

20 rounds is very hard to beat.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a carry weapon? Or just a night stand gun? When you are talking about a home defense hand gun a revolver may be something to consider. When you first wake up, simplicity is a nice thing. Most revolvers do not have any safeties to worry about.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I know its not really the suggestion you're looking for but..may I suggest a gun safe.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Sorry, but I was at a shoot over the weekend and pick up a couple Glocks. Ugh. It reminded how they have to be the most uncomfortable guns being made out there right now.

I know... I know... To each his own.

12. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

id say get the glock 19 easy to shoot accurate and reliable cheap ammo to practice with and mags are cheap enough to get a couple extra.they are very reliable and only cot about $600 or so new.

13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Once a house is burglarized chances are it will be again. You want a firearm you are asking? My suggestion is get a CCW permit, a firearm,
    and get yourself to a shooting range to perfect aim under pressure, stress, and memory. You will emerge more confident than you are now.
    And, by the way, good luck to you!

14. primer1

I second that.

15. primer1

That too, or at least a cabinet, the kind without a glass front.

16. Secondhand_Hero

Secondhand_Hero New Member

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident! But to answer your question, the problem with "home defense" is that it's just that, defending your home. This being said, your home environment MUST be taken into account. i'm not a huge fan of the term "overkill" but in this case i take it into account. If there are others in your house, valuables in the open, neighbors, etc., you DO NOT want a high velocity caliber/round. i'm not a big fan of .45 acp, but if you NEED a pistol for home defense this would be one of your better choices. It had GREAT stopping power, doesn't jar when you unload a clip, is easily customized, and most of all, it has very low penetration. This is good if you have thick walls as you have a chance of these babies taking a nap in you walls as the burglar takes a dirt nap on your floor. The only problem with the .45 ACP is that since it has a low rate of penetration, if this burglar happened to wear body armor there's a chance it won't pierce. Assuming this isn't the case, throw some hollowpoints into that .45acp and you'll get enough punch to take good sized man right off his feet. And since these hollowpoints get their kick by ultra-fast expansions, there's an even bigger chance of them stopping in your wall instead of sailing through and harming others. If you are worried that the intruders were to wear some sort of armor, why not alternate ammo? You could try double taps using a hollow in the chamber and one in the clip, alternating with piercing ammo for backup in case they keep moving.
    Just my two cents, hope it helps.

-your friendly neighborhood hero

17. forever27

forever27 New Member

I got a Glock 23 for my bedside protection, I personally love the Glock and the .40 cal has the power to get the job done.

18. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

First, get rid of the gun cabinet and buy a gun safe. Cabinets are great for showing off your guns, but as you are so painfully now aware, they offer minimum security. Buy an expensive, quality gun safe that will protect your guns (and other valuables) from fire and theft. Sometimes great gun safe deals can be found at Costco.

Glock makes fine pistols with proven reliability, but so do other gun makers. Not all guns will "fit" all shooters. Shop around and find something that fits you, regardless of what others like or dislike. I once owned a Glock but got rid of it because if did not fit my hand well. But, that's just me. If you want a 1911, get one. They are available in various price ranges and manufacturers.

I'm someone who prefers larger calibers, .40 & .45, but not everyone agrees. As long as you select a "service caliber," 9mm and bigger which is designed for self defense, you should be ok. With modern expanding bullets they are all effective as long as you are able to place the shots on target where they will do the most damage.

19. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I have to agree with this. I love my semi autos. I'm definitely not a big revolver fan. But my .357 sits right next to my bed when I sleep. Just point and aim, and if it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again.

20. M0L0NLAB3

M0L0NLAB3 New Member

Try a sig 226 or 229. You wont be disappointed.