Assault weapons ban and parts values

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TankTop, Sep 29, 2012.

1. TankTop

TankTop Active Member Supporter

I know nobody has a crystal ball, but if the assault weapons ban is reinstated which parts would go up in value the most? I live in Colorado and private sales are legal, I'm assuming you would still be able to do private sales. I have been thinking of purchasing stripped lowers as I "think" they could double, triple or even more in value. Does that sound like a sound investment?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Lower receivers could be harder to get, thus more valuable but maybe 30rd preban magazines would be the thing to stock up on. Really it depends on how such a law is written.

3. TankTop

I was a bit too young to pay attention, but if you had an assault weapon during the last ban could you still go out and shoot it?

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The AWB was just some political BS that meant you could no longer manufacture an "assault weapon":rolleyes:.

Anything you have previously will be grandfathered in... My suggestion? 2-3 stripped lowers, a few collapsible stocks and a keister-load of hi-cap mags.

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I have yet to see one of these fear invoking "Assault weapons". From the hype, I'm sure I would tremble uncontrollably just being in its presence.

Mags, lowers, fire control parts.... these might be a fair investment.

Those 30rd brownells magazines that I bought for $2 each might exponentially increase in value overnight.

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I would think the 100 drum would be profitable considering Aurora and if that ban sets in then more profit

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd skip drum mags, for the same money you can get more capacity in standard 30 rounders that actually are reliable and much more managable.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You could not mix PreBan and PostBan uppers and lowers. The price on PreBan anything went up. You could still add parts if they were not imported but made in the U.S. As stated it was just PC BS did nothing.:rolleyes:

9. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Don't count on anything being grandfathered in. In NYC where they've had rifle and shotgun registration since around 1976 at first allowed aw's. In Sept 1994 NY Gov George Pataki (R), while pathetically pandering to the libs, banned aw's that contained certain features, but grandfathered in those previously owned. NYC, which makes it's own rules, forced it's residents to sell, or surrender all their aw's to a gun dealer and have a receipt as proof. There was no such thing as just giving it to a friend, or relative who lived outside the city limits. If none was produced then the individual's license was revoked and all legitimately owned guns were confiscated.

In 1989 when the federal ban went into effect a Chinese 75rd drum loaded up was selling everywhere for $30-$35. The price then jumped to $100-$150 without ammo. A Mitchell Arms Yugo scope mount that was selling for $50 and a $200 Yugo scope jumped up in price in a local gun shop to an $1100 package and the store refused to sell the two separately.

This all goes to show you that when there's a ban and even when there isn't one, you could still be in for a big time shafting and nothing's written in stone. You have to depend on history to teach you how to prepare for such events. Living in a gun friendly location is no guarantee that your rights will be protected.

10. TankTop

In Colorado it is a violation of the State constitution to require people to register their firearms. I think it would be nearly impossible to enforce people turning in their firearms. There is no database other than hand written receipts kept with the dealers. I just don't see it being logistically possible here or many other states.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

We are looking at Federal Firearms laws not state in this case. Back in 1935 when machine guns and Sawed Off shotguns and SBRs had to be registered and turned in there were no records. These weapons were declared illegal etc. it was a violation of Federal law to not follow the law. In 1968 citizens who had not reported such weapons were allowed an amnesty period to report these items without punishment. Anyone not doing so was then subject to arrest by the new BATF. The exception, under the 1968 law any fire arm without a seral number had to be reported. The BATF would issue a number to be stamped on these firearms. The citizens did not report all these arms and we still see them for sale. :confused:

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you told me the AWB would be reinstated next month, and I wanted to throw some "investment" opportunity money at that situation...I'd buy high/full capacity mags. Period.

Forget the Betas and such (they're already inflated, not to mention impractical). For an AR I'd buy the affordable and highly functional 30rd mags from Magpul and C-products. Maybe some 20 or 40rd mags if I found the right deal. Same for AK, M1A, AR-10, 10/22, and pistol platforms. The 31rd G18 mags would be a good investment, considering how many 9mm Glocks are out there.

It's looking like Obama will be re-elected. Regardless, there will be future attempts to resume the AWB. That one will be a constant struggle, as it seems to get brought up every few months following a spree shooting of some sort.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  13. TankTop

I also don't see the Republicans passing another AWB at this time in our current political environment. I guess Obama could attempt a presidential order but that would end up in court immediately.

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

What about the 60 round ar mags

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The Surefires? Read the reviews, I've heard good and bad. Myself, quality 30 round mags are what I go for.

16. Seven

Seven New Member

Agreed.

But if your sole purpose is to price gouge and turn a profit, I wouldn't worry about quality. In a "scare" people won't care, they'll just want "high capacity" mags. Just buy the lowest price 30 round mags you can find. It's not like the OP is planning on keeping them for personal use.

17. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I'm picking up 200 pmags this week :D jic

18. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Gunbuyingclub.com has the window pmags for $13, thats thr best deal ive seen

19. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I get them cheaper than that :D thanks though.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I really think Obama will have Holder rule these arms as Class 3. That will make them contriband. Obama makes the rules as he goes. Yes congress would most likely take 2 years to rule it out. But after 2 years it will do some damage.:(