Assault weapon

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by locutus, Aug 3, 2012.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Went to the range today with one of my ARs.

A young lady shooting a bolt gun asked me why I had an "assault rifle."

I replied, laughing softly: "Well... just in case someone assaults me!:D

I then explained to her very politely what an "Assault Weapon" really is.

Her husband, an Air Force security policeman, joined the discussion on my side!:p

IME, something funny, but polite is a good way to start the discussion, then when the person is comfortable talking to you, you can gradually get more serious.

Whatever you do, don't show anger at the misue of the term, or you lose them before you have the chance to educate them.:)

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Kudos locutus.

Sage advice we should all follow! [​IMG]

3. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I apologize for my ignorance but what is an "assault weapon"?

4. Rarity

Rarity New Member

In the distant past, the offending term was created by the gun grabbers to categorize a class of firearms based on their looks. "Assault Weapon" is only understood in gun grabbing terminology... :p.

5. locutus

Since they are used by military forces, the military definition is appropriate.

A short, lightweight rifle or carbine designed for selective fire, and utilizing a medium power cartridge.

(Medium power: in between a pistol cartridge and a rifle cartridge.)

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Ok guys thanks im always trying to learn so sorry for the dumb question

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Locutus, very well done. your approach and the way you handled that was true class. big thumbs up from me on that one.:)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I prefer to say "Personal Protection Device" vs "Assault".

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

It's not an assault rilfe ... it's a sport utility rifle ;)

10. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

How true it is that most people don't now what an "Assault Weapon" really is. I didn't until joining a couple forums. 95% of my gun experience is handguns as I grew up in LA, lived in Manhattan, Miami, Hoboken and Key West. We didn't have much of a need for rifles in those areas. What America needs is more gun education and less gun control.

I could assault a person with an ink pen which would make it a weapon. Is my pen now an "Assault Weapon"?

11. locutus

We all know that, but we need to educate the public.

Just let them know politety, what a true "assault rifle" really is, and they will figure out fairly quickly that your AR-15 isn't one.:p

12. Axxe55

by the definition of assault, yes i would definately consider it an assault weapon!

some people are just uninformed about the proper terminology of firearms and do need to be enlightened. politeness and humor are probably the best route to begin with. many people think that if it looks like something the military would have, makes it an assault rifle. personally i hate that term and refuse to use it myself. my AR looks very similar to what the military uses, but it's not an assault rifle. it's a semi auto rifle built on the AR platform.

13. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

There is no "Assault Rifle" type weapon. You have semi-auto...pump...bolt action, etc, but there is no real term that means assault rifle...it *really is* a pejorative.

Only when politicians get involved does it gain meaning as they write it into legal definition

But even then, their descriptions only ever describe how a gun LOOKS! not how it OPERATES. Example from the latest "assault weapon ban" proposal here in Illinois:

(I've tried my best to explain it here and here) im still redesigning the page...so please excuse it if the colors and design seems "off"

So in other words, you can make a bolt action rifle that LOOKS LIKE an AR15 and it is BANNED by these definitions.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  14. Axxe55

PrimePorkChop, a couple of my Remington M700's look very similar to the ones the military uses for sniper rifles, so are they now assault rifles?

the media, certain politicians and the anti gun liberals want to make them appear evil and that those who own and shoot them by virtue are evil. they are preying on the uninformed and trying influence their opinions about certain types of firearms.

15. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

I could assault a person with an ink pen which would make it a weapon. Is my pen now an "Assault Weapon"?[/QUOTE]

I used the same analogy when I wrote my senator and representative but I called it a "Assault Pen".:eek: Background checks will now be required at Office Max for pens! Plus a three day waiting period

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Dammit all to hell ... I can't wait three days to stab someone, I need that Bic fluidball with flex grip pen now! :mad:

:p

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  17. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Depends on how they want to word their definitions ... With it being screwed and open ended like in Illinois, any air rifle that fires a projectile that is "reasonably considered" to "cause bodily harm" is said to be an assault weapon and is banned

They define that as 700fps or greater ... For an air rifle ... You will go to prison for 2 to 5 years and they call it, in legal definition, am assault rifle

18. Rarity

Rarity New Member

It was thought up by those who struggle to categorize firearms by their looks instead of their function, with the purpose of misleading the public, and terrifying them into endorsing this attack on the 2nd Amendment....:rolleyes:

19. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

You need an "assault rifle" because the government arms its agents with the same.
    In order to deprive the government of the ability to have a monopoly on the use of force as was the intent of our Founders when they ratified the 2A,your supposed to have unfettered access to modern military grade small arms.

But try explaining this concept to the brainwashed moron majority.

I can't for the life of me fathom why it such a radical idea that We The People have a balance of physical power in private hands up to and perhaps even greater then that of the government.

Perhaps its as radical an idea as a government that is the servant and not the master?

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. the supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States."
    -Noah Webster

20. Axxe55

Josh, i like how you think! you are much more capable with words than i am, but your viewpoint mirror mine a lot. :D