Assault Rifle?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by G8ter01, Feb 2, 2012.

1. G8ter01

G8ter01 New Member

I am currently stationed in California in the military, California gun laws are an *** pain by the way, and I've been looking at buying a new toy. I am buying it back in Oregon to avoid the stupidity. I want an assault rifle and have been looking at the Bushmaster ACR, but I haven't had a chance to shoot or field test any of them. Any body heard any good things or experienced how the Bushmaster handles? I just want it to link around with and do some coyote shooting, no competitions er anything. I was looking at the 6.8 for just a little extra knock down power while maintaining a manageable muzzle velocity. So any advice would be awesome!

2. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

What's an assault rifle?

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The process to obtain an assault rifle will be long and fairly expensive. You cannot purchase the select fire version of the ACR unless you are an LE Agency or a Dealer going to demo it for an LE Agency.

Now if you are actually talking about the Sport Utility Rifle, semi auto (non assault rifle) version of the ACR, then you may be in luck. The ACR was much anticipated, but very dissapointing. Reliability problems plagued them froml the get go. Add to that a price that is out of must people's range made for a dog on the market. A good AR will do anything the ACR will at 1/3 the price.

ps: The term "assault rifle" means a selective fire, shoulder mounted, man portable, air cooled, magazine fed weapon that fires an intermediate rifle cartridge. The M-16 is an assault rifle. The AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle.

4. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

ROBO, you said it so nicely.

5. G8ter01

G8ter01 New Member

That's why I'm going through the start of Oregon, its my home of residence so you can pretty easily obtain one that isn't a California compliant weapon, meaning I can have a push button magazine release and i can own high cap mags, no length restrictions and the silencer will not be a hassle what so ever. As far as the reliability issue, could you go into more details? Mis-feeds? Mis-fires? Er what? And the price isn't an issue for me, I'm single and just got back from over seas, but at the same time I realize that I could make an impressive build for just the base price of the ACR but I'm looking for something pretty high end. I want it to last me a while and I like the ergonomics of the ARC. Any comments on 6.8 cartridge its self? Is it even worth it? I know its cost more to do hand loads for then the standard 5.56 and not as fast, but I like the knock down power of the bigger round.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I would start reading anything you can find about the ACR, it's led a painful existence since Bushmaster acquired it and at least one recall. Also Bushmaster quality seems to have deteriorated even further since they closed up their factories in Windham, ME and Lake Havasu City, AZ last year which doesn't bode well for recent units. I'd look elsewhere, maybe a quality AR-15 from Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense and a few others.

robocop10mm pretty much summed it up with "A good AR will do anything the ACR will at 1/3 the price."

As far as the 6.8 it's a good cartridge if you really need it but honestly what you're talking about the 5.56 will excel at and be much cheaper.

Here are a few quick Google hits of ACR problems/lackluster reviews, you can find a lot more - positive and negative

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/01/27/thoughts-on-the-magpulbushmaster-acr/
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/10/16/bushmaster-acr-recall/
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/giao-nguyen/gun-review-bushmaster-acr/

7. G8ter01

G8ter01 New Member

Awesome, thanks for all the info guys. I really do appreciate it, its hard to have time to research this time of year so thanks for the advice and links.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If I were spending that much cheddar, I'd look at the LaRue Tactical Stealth OBR 7.62mm.

[​IMG]

7.62 OBR

9. shootitout

shootitout New Member

What about the scar 16 in 5.56 or17in .308 little bit cheaper and I have seen and heard some good stuff but have not shoot one yet might be worth a look.

10. G8ter01

G8ter01 New Member

Canebrake: I have looked at the 7.62 cartridge alot believe me, I have an older brother that consistently shoots a 1000 yards with his Remington 700 action (at about a 45 degree elevation) and I'm just not a fan of the "rainbow rock chucker" as my brother so rightfully puts its. Granted I prolly wouldn't ever shoot a 1000 yards of an AR platform anyway but the reason I was looking at the 6.8 is because I figured it was a good compromise between velocity and energy. I like my rounds to have a nice little snap to em. I am an avid hand loader (when I'm home) and me and my brothers have spent the past 8 years at least working up loads for his 7.62 and have spent about 3 years working up loads for 5.56. So the excitement of a new cartridge to play with also played a factor in the 6.8.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I've said it before. Get the ACR and the chances of getting a select fire are there.

The future Larue Costa backed AR seems to have a lot of nice features.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Before you push the button on the 6.8SPC take a look at the 6.5 Grendel.

[​IMG]

6.5 Grendel Ballistics

From the Alexander Arms link below:
    Shooting a 123-grain Lapua Scenar with a ballistic coefficient of .547 and a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps delivers outstanding accuracy out to 1200 yards. At 600 yards, tennis ball size targets are no match for this flat shooting round.​

Alexander Arms - 6.5 Grendel

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  13. G8ter01

G8ter01 New Member

I have heard nothing but good things about the Grendel and my brothers have some pretty extensive research on it as well but it comes down the cost of reloading, and its more expensive to reload that then the 6.8 and in my small *** home town I would have to be hitting up midway for all of my reloading supplies (dyes, plates, and brass) and it just becomes more of a hassle when dealing with unique cartridges like the Grendel. I have better access to the 6.8, but I will definitely dig a little deeper and do some research myself on the round. Thanks for the tip! That would be a fun load to work too, especially after looking at that ballistics chart.

14. nfafan

nfafan Member

True that.

To the OP on the lecture of the "assault rifle"... We don't care for that term much.

During the ban-hype of the pre-internet 80's that we were trying to fight, "Assault Guns/Assault Rifles" were the wicked terms the anti-gun media and politicians used to paint ALL OF US semi-auto owners as Patrick Purdey types ready to explode. It wasn't true then or now.

Sadly, too many "gun capialist whores" delighted in their full-page spreads in SGN touting their selection of assault rifles, so we had no ally even among our own ranks. The 89 ban hit and the rest is history.

Now any shooting of any kind anywhere in the USA is by an "AK" or a "semi-auto assault weapon", regardless.
    Example; there were two shootings here in PGH this past week; in one the media made sure to state it was an AK, and in the other shooting the reporter explicitly stated it was an "M4, an AR-15 like the US troops carry" in Affcrackassitan.

WTF.

15. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

6.8 looks like a really nice round. Have recently been looking at the .300 blackout and if you were looking for suppressed like I believe I read above it is definitely something to look into. Can go from subsonic to supersonic with just a mag change. For an AR platform....Idk just something to think about

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Huh? What chances are there of getting select fire in the ACR? As a civilian, one has ZERO chances of getting a select fire ACR. NONE were made pre 86 so NONE are transferrable.

If there is some sort of black market available for select fire ACR components DO NOT POST THEM HERE!!!

17. m72law

m72law New Member

cant one own any type of full auto;(pre or post 86') if they are a classIII dealer & give up thier license?

18. G8ter01

G8ter01 New Member

I wouldn't want anything like that anyways, I would get too trigger happy and burn through ammo likes it cool. Lol and I'm not familiar with ffl classes so I wouldn't know anyways.

And I've never even heard of the .300 blackout before I'm gunna have to look into it. Only question I have on that is, is it suppressable?

19. m72law

m72law New Member

i dont know either,thats why im asking? if its true...looks like it would be a cheaper way to own 1 full atuo even if the lic. is 5K:D

as for the .300 blackout,i've heard its one bada$$ round

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You must have missed the waives of civilian ACRs that went F/A on their owners.

Have I ever?

The F/A comment was a joke referring to the bad quality of the ACR and how there were some semi only that went F/A on their unsuspecting owners.

The .300 BLK is a good round. All you need it a barrel change to go from 5.56 to .300 BLK. You also get to choose from the numerous rounds already developed for the .308. It's very smooth.