"Assault Rifle" Ban

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ZeusEcho, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

If there is an "Assault Rifle" ban, what exactly would that be?

Would the limits/changes be restricted to FFL items like full rifles or lowers, or would it also include uppers/barrels and other parts that are not actually considered to be the "the firearm" (no FFL required)?

I know no one knows exactly but do we have any idea what it would look like? :confused:

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It could take on many forms, and before someone says it "What is an assault rifle"? :p

They could ban components like they did last time (collapsible stocks come to mind immediately because I could not get one).

They could also go after the sales of full rifles that meet a certain criteria to be sold after a certain date.

Things like uppers for an AR would be harder because you don't have to have any FFL involved, so no paperwork unless the seller hands it over.

With components they can simply see it on your rifle when you go to shoot. There are limited ways to look at an upper and say "That is a post ban upper, get over here".

If you have a receiver, of any type, on the books prior to an AWB going into place, I would say you can probably assume that there must be a grandfather clause. If there is no grand father clause, then I suspect there will be one final showdown from all those that don't want to give up what they paid good money for and have a legal right to under those ones called "Inalienable". ;)

JD

3. ZeusEcho

LOL that's exactly why I put "assault rifle" in quotes :D

Thanks for the feedback, kinda what I thought, just didn't know if anyone had some more solid leads on what it could be.

4. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

In the town two minutes away, you cannot own one because of the high crime rate. No exceptions.....

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If the ban were to follow the Clinton model it would most likely ban specific firearms as well as parts or features of other types of firearms. A rough example would be the NJ gun laws, Lautenberg was the architect of the Clinton ban and he and Menendez are leading the charge once again.

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

6. ZeusEcho

That sucks! What town is that? I'm sure the criminals are aware of and follow the "no assault rifles law" as well. :rolleyes:

7. ZeusEcho

Thanks Jpyle...That's current NJ law? Good bit of reading there! :eek:

8. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Come on, all criminals follow rules.... Gary, IN is the town.

9. ZeusEcho

Inorite. Hey cool birdhouse!

10. ZeusEcho

Mods- why was this thread moved from Legal/Activism to General Rifle Discussion? Isn't the thread directly related to legal and 2nd amendment rights?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  11. whitelightning

whitelightning New Member

In ct unless it's pre ban You cannot possess the following. Same thing in Mass. Where Romney helped make that happen

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescopic stock;

ii. a pistol grip;

iii. a bayonet mount;

iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

v. a grenade launcher.

12. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Live in NJ and you'll have somewhat of an idea.

13. ZeusEcho

Looks just like part of the New Jersey law above.

14. ZeusEcho

Lol I'll pass thanks! Not a huge fan of living in Florida but for now it's not looking so bad. :)

15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I'm in FL often for work. I even took the family down there a few years ago to try and find a place to work DOWN there, but no luck. At least for the next few years we're in NJ.

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Here is a handy guide:

Attached Files:

17. ZeusEcho

LMAO too true! :D

18. ZeusEcho

Sorry you had no luck trying to move down here. I hope you can in the future if you still want to. I've been here for about 35 years so I'm just kinda tired of the scenery and miss the change of seasons I had during my time in New York. I'm more of a Utah/Colorado spirit but I've been stuck in Florida because of family and steady work...grateful for both, don't get me wrong.

19. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Assault Weapon is a BS term. It means whatever they want whenever they want it to mean something. Its starts with the presumption that the weapon will be used in an unconstitutional manner then describes modifications that cannot be rightfully qualified as bad.

Roe V Wade is an assault weapon, An AR 15 with a folding stock isnt anything except what it is used for, if it doesnt shoot innocent people, its just a brick; if it does, its owned by an Assault Weapon called a Human, one is a brick, the other is the tosser!

If they define it, we will follow! Maybe not the crooks but the Sheeple sure will...

20. ZeusEcho

I know man and totally agree. I was kidding around that's why I put "assault rifle" in quotes. Probably shouldn't have started a serious topic thread with a little humor. :)