As if choosing a gun wasnt enough...ammo

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Grog, May 18, 2010.

1. Grog

Grog New Member

OK...been to the range and narrowed my gun choices down from 150 different models to about 30:rolleyes:

How do I determine what is expensive ammo and what isn't? Please no ...by how much it costs comments.

the reason I ask is 1 box of 50 10mm rounds cost $28.99 and a box of 38 special cost $19.99. The range will only let you use their ammo in their guns. Completely understandable but at least give me the options of good or really good.

What is a reasonable price for a box of 50 in

38 special
    9mm
    40 cal s&w
    10mm

thanks, Grog.

2 hours at the range, rented 3 guns, 2 sets of targets, 3 boxes of ammo, $105 dollars total (my share...we actually had 2 lanes and 6 guns/6 boxes ammo)

Priceless because I found my wife and I both do not like the S&W 38 and the LCR. Both of which I almost bought before hand.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Well Grog prices vary on this ammo alot. I buy 50 rounds of Federal ammo at Wal-mart for 13.97 a box, this is for the .40. Its full metal jacket and a great product. Other stores are charging twice as much.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is for FMJ range ammo from stores like Walmart. If your range requires you use their ammo then that's what you'll have to pay. I pick up ammo whenever I see a good deal and I also get a lot from folks changing calibers and selling it privately...

4. Missileman

Missileman New Member

In General, 9mm will be the cheapest centerfire to shoot, followed by 38 special and/or 40 S&W, then 45 ACP/367, then 10mm. HOWEVER, I'm talking about FMJ or lead round nose rounds--if you get into hollow points then all bets are off, as prices vary greatly depending on brand, bullet, etc.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The cheapest of those calibers is 9mm by a couple bucks. I've found walmart to stock the cheapest range ammo.

What 30 have you narrowed it down to? We can probably give our experience in them. NGIB has probably owned and shot all of those in each caliber,for about a minute. :D

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The last time I bought 10mm, I paid about $25 for a box of 50. Now I have paid $28 for a box of 20, also.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What's the gun going to be used for?

Because if you are selecting your gun on the cost of ammo, get a 22.

8. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Besides the actual price on the box, you need to consider how much time and effort it will take to get to your preferred vendor. Going ten or twenty miles out of your way to save a dollar or two on a box of ammo may make it less economical for you.

When you're looking to buy the high quality self defense ammo, don't worry as much about the price per box because you're not going to buy as much as you would for practice ammo. Hitting the gun shows is good for bulk buying, but you also need to factor in the ticket and possible parking fee. Large ammo buys are economical, but just to pick up a box or two of something you can find on the shelf at WalMart isn't worth the time and money.

9. Grog

Grog New Member

It was just an attempt at humor. So many choices/ brands/ options/etc. My wife likes the S&W 357 model 60 or S&W M&P 40. She shot both well. Glock 26/27 or the S&W 40 for me. I plan to carry concealed. A friend I trust says to go 40 cal. I may try other .40's but really want to keep it on the small side...as long as I can shoot well enough.

10. Grog

Grog New Member

My wife and I both want something we can protect the home with and I would like to carry...occasionally.

I have no problem buying quality and paying for it...just dont want to pay extra when practicing.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

May I humbly suggest you take a look at some basic reloading? You can buy a USED press, dies, and a cheap scale for under $50 if you shop carefully. My reloads run me about $6 per 50 rounds- more for jacketed bullets, but still a LOT less.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Don't get the 40S&W as a first gun. It is not a "fun" gun to shoot.

Stay with the 9mm. Your initial experience will be much greater. You can (and probably will) step up down the road. Your first shooting impression will set your outlook for the rest of your experiences.

And if you can, find someone with a Browning High Power and see if they will let you try it. I'm confident you will look no further!

[​IMG]

Browning High Power Belgium made Portugal 9mm : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

That is a great Matching M&P's. His and Hers.:D

SW_MP.jpg

220073_01_md.jpg
    Would fit what you want, Ammo Inexpensive and serve as a good SD pistol.

14. Grog

Grog New Member

Why do you say it would not be fun? I posted another thread about our range experience and my wife really like it. It did have crimson trace grips so she shot it better but she liked it because of the bigger grip (and the laser, i'm sure)
    See ... "Should I give revolvers a 2nd chance?"

I originally wanted an LCR for size but really disliked it at the range. Size is important for me. As small as it can be yet reliable, accurate, and of course I need to be able to hit what I am aiming at.

Grog

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You could go for the M&P9 Compact.
    mpcomp.jpg

Cane, what is the going price for a Hi-Power?

16. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I'm going to have to disagree with Cane. I grew up shooting almost nothing but .40s, and I've always had fun :D.

17. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I don't see the payoff in the .40 when you can carry a 9mm, but that's just me. I practice a good bit, so there's a savings in the 9mm, but don't feel I'm giving up much in SD mode because I carry +p and am reasonably confident that I can put rounds on target. That's just my ricebowl, however. Buy what feels good, but don't forget to read Cane's siggy.
    Gork

18. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

personally for the money I think a ruger gp100 6inch 357 magnum is a great handgun for the beginner shooter,but thats just my personal opinion. not much recoil in a 38 special round and they are easy to reload.

19. m72law

m72law New Member

I know there are die-hard fans of .40 over 9mm and those who far prefer 9mm over .40, and much of that is probably just due to "pride of ownership" and support of one's choice of caliber.

Taking ownership emotions out of it and aside from differences in round capacity or cost of ammo, is there true, sound reasoning to support the choice of .40 cal over 9mm, or is .40 a weaker choice compared to 9mm, or is it basically a toss up?

The gun in question is NOT Glock,S&W,XD,ect. but rather Browning Hi-Power. Browning rebuilt the HP specifically for .40 cal and also offers the slightly trimmer 9mm version.

what I'm saying is that if you can get the hits with your forty and feel more confident in it than a 9mm, go for it. If you feel like you hit better with the 9mm and "trust" it to do the job, go for it. Where and what you hit will likely make the difference assuming that the bad guy doesn't "stop" because he wants to, but because he has to.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  20. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

I like the availability of 9mm and .40. No problem here with .40 but I really enjoy the 9mm. I carry a few inside my kahr n don't feel undergunned. :) I do shoot a lot and for the most part, all my rounds go where they should.

Recently started carrying .357 ma Horndady 140 FTX in my SP101 and they run hot but are controllable.

Really craving a BHP to satisfy my full-size 9mm slot.

If you only have access to one range and no other venues I guess you can go with what they deem the least expensive there.

I think I have only bought one piece due to ammo prices and that was a Tokerev because you could pick up so much ammo for so little.

Maybe go with what you feel works for you and save up for a .22? Not down talk by any means but I have been through lots of guns and now stick with what feels right - not the price of ammo.