Article - 5 Gun Myths from the Movies

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Marthor, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

2. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Interesting.
    Thanks.

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Nice list but he forgot the biggest myth of the last Century...

GLOCKS fire more accurately when canted to the port side!

Tack

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Hell yeah they do!!!!;). I like when they are shooting without looking and hit everything they intended to hit.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Tru Dat :D

[​IMG]

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

It irritates the heck outa me when I see these myths in any form of media.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Entertains me :)

8. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Ah man you burst my bubble. I thought everything that came out of Hollywood was truth.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My favorites are that a shotgun pattern automatically opens up into a widespread cone of death as soon as the shot leaves the muzzle.

Then hearing a hammer cocking sound or a safety being clicked off when the actor is holding a Glock.

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Now thats awesome

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I always liked the sparks produced when a lead and copper bullet hits a steel car body.

12. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I always like when they take cover behind drywall. LOL

13. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

What about when they flip over a table to hide behind it!!!!;)

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

What about bending bullet paths? Thats my fave! Just curve it around one object to hit another. Anybody watch that garbage movie... the end when hot chick throws shot in a perfect circle and it not only goes around a while room but thru several heads on its way. Worst movie ever!

15. Marthor

Marthor New Member

You're right, that's even better!

16. Colby

Colby New Member

I remember an episode of "Cade's County" - old modern day western with Glenn Ford as the sheriff driving the Jeep in the southwest. He steps out of his Jeep - sees the bad guy climbing up a distant hill - pulls his snubnose 38 from his holster and in one unaimed shot - shoots the guy at the top of the hill!
    It was truly amazing shooting!

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

In "The Phantom", I saw a lot of bullets producing Sparks when hitting trees. I thought that was cool as hell.

Actually possible, in a fashion. It's much the same concept as what happens when a fast moving vehicle, such as a fighter jet, leads another fast moving vehicle, such as another fighter jet. Not EXACTLY the same thing, but very close. But that last scene with Jolie? Yeah... God bless Hollywood, because the teachers of America seriously neglected screenwriters ;) but a person can reproduce this "bullet bending" effect in a way if they can move near the speed of sound. In a circle, not a chance.

Not to mention the natural arc of a projectile. For instance, a .30-06 has a drop of anywhere between 20 and 35 feet at 1000 yards, depending on load and rifle specs. Which means, you can stand dead in front of someone shooting at a 1000 yard target, at half that range or so, and theoretically be perfectly safe, because they would actually be shooting OVER you to let the bullet "fall" onto it's beaten zone (which hopefully includes the x-ring). But if you try it and get your melon popped, don't go telling folks I told you it was okay. (That means stay behind the firing line, regardless).

18. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

One thing they never do in Hollywood is go into a known danger prepared, they always wait until the very last moment to "rack" their guns. Who in their right minds is gonna wait until the last second to have the gun locked and loaded. Another thing is they call cartridges "bullets" and magazines are "clips". :rolleyes:

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Plus they rack it again before firing---
    BTW- I call'em boolits too :p

20. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

I always like hearing then rack the slide on a shotgun but then when they show them they are holding a double barrel.