Arsenal M1F 7.62 x 39

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Jagermeister, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

From my last AK post, I was suppose to get a Saiga 762 MK ordered from Izhmash (now called Kaleshnikov) factory.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/izhmash-saiga-762-mk-101658/

The order never arrived at the weapons dealer in route to my LGS. I called the dealer to find out that they have not received an order from the factory for the last three years!:eek: They are not sure if the rifle is going to come at all.:(

So, the manager went through the warehouse and found a replacement rifle. An Arsenal M1F-:eek::D A milled lower receiver AK (a Bulgarian AK-47)!!!! Of course I totally forgot about the Russian AKM in a hurry. I immediately called the LGS, and they changed the order for the new rifle. I will get it less then two weeks, since it is in country. I had to order an extra upper receiver cover with a picatinny rail, because the Arsenal does not have a side scope mount like the Saiga. I am buying an Aimpoint 9000sc for optics. I also ordered an extra 30 round magazine.

The dealer felt bad that I did not get the first rifle, so he sent me two pics of my actual rifle for verification.

Attached Files:

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The Bulgarian rifles are very nice. I would caution against a simple sheet metal receiver cover mounted sight like the one pictured . They must come off for field stripping and cleaning and rarely return to zero. A red dot on a forward rail would be an option or there are rails that replace the standard rear sight and extend over the receiver cover which have a better rep for returning to zero. They also sub a rear sight that us closer to the eye and improves your sight radius. Let me check around and see if I can post some links.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

3. SSGN_Doc

4. SSGN_Doc

5. SSGN_Doc

No problem. I've seen a lot of guys frustrated with the cheaper sheet metal ones. Or they just choose not to clean very often.

6. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Why would you take a rifle with ergonomics like that?

Have you ever used an underfolder? Sure it looks cool, but your cheek won't thank you later. Better get some paracord.

Oh well, almost any AK is better than no AK.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The only problem I ever had with an underfolding stock is a cold cheek in the winter. :eek: I wrap a cloth around the metal. My shooting never suffered from the ergonomics though.:)

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Doc, the gun store will not let me back out of any of the items I ordered. They have already been mailed and I signed the paperwork. I will have to go with what I have. I called the weapon's dealer, and they assure me that the picatinny mounted dust cover comes from Arsenal and is made for their rifles. The product did cost me 100 euros (130 dollars), so hopefully it is high quality.:confused: If not, there is a two year warranty. I just have to show it does not work. I do like the see-through rail though, so I can still use iron sights. I will ordered the other dust cover you listed if things do not work out with this product. Thanks for your help. I now have a plan B.:D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A friend has a calico with a sight mounted on the receiver. It is Ok for home defense. The sight does move when he cleans it. But I sure wouldn't want to run into that thing at close range. In about 2 seconds you will look like swiss cheese.

10. kyboy

kyboy New Member

I love saigas....unfortunate that didnt come through for you. Looks like you got a good gun though. Does this gun not have the typical ak side mount ??? Like doc said that scope set up pictured above will give you fits. I looovvee the ak side mounts

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The gun does not have the side mount due to the under folding stock. This rifle is actually more expensive then the Saiga and considered better quality. This one cost me about 1200 euros. Due to quality and having a milled lower receiver, the gun is good for at least 15000 rounds.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Attached Files:

13. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Never heard of them. Sucks abt the side mount. Ill take a Saiga please in .556

14. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Are those made in Izhmash factory ?

15. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Arsenal is from Bulgaria. I only know about the Bulgarian factory. Very high reputation. They also make military weaponry. I understand that they import to their American distributor. Do not know about them at all. I lived most my life in Germany.

16. kyboy

kyboy New Member

I see. Interesting...i learned something new today. I usually stick to the Ruskies when dealing with AKs but ill have to look into those too I guess.

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Izhmash makes AKMs (stamped lower receiver which is lighter) and Arsenal makes AK-47s (milled lower receiver that lasts longer).

18. SSGN_Doc

Arsenal also has a factory in Nevada. They opened it so that they could get around the foreign parts limitations. This way enough parts, are built in the US and the guns are built in the US to call them US made guns. they are very high quality, and they are more expensive that some of the guns like Saiga's here because the Saigas, need to be imported in funky sperter fashion, with jacked up sporter stocks, and trigger parts in the wrong locations, no flash hiders/threaded barrels, no bayonet lugs, etc. so they can call them a sporter. Then there are companies here that take the Saiga and move parts around and replace parts so that you can get it back into a AK configurations. Then the price goes up, because of all the retrofit work.

Compared to a WASR, the Arsenal guns fetch 2-3 times the price. But they use parts from teh same factory instead of a receiver from one, a US made barrel from another, Tapco trigger parts, and pistons, furniture etc.

Aresenal's approach is a bit better, because it can all be done in one place right from the beginning in one factory.

19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Thank you Doc. I do not know much about the US offered AKs. I here Century Arms is kick-ass in the US. I have shot Polish, East German and Russian AKM/47s. I continue to practice at the Rod and Gun club with a semi-auto converted AK-47 that originated from former East Germany. The Romanian AKs have the worst reputation over here. Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian and Polish have the best reputation. CZ does not make an AKM or AK47. Theirs is a striker fire, short piston design. The advantage of the CZ versions is the top of the dust cover also opens for better ejection of casings. Also, they shoot 800 rounds per minute in full auto compared to 600 from the newer AK 12s.