AR's to avoid

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by brewna01, Jun 22, 2012.

1. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

I'm new to the AR world and am thinking about getting one. My question is that is it worth buying the $1200 colt or saving some dough and getting the ones priced around $500-700?

2. MrPEZO

MrPEZO New Member

I say plan on spending 1,000-1,200
    Colt, Spikes Tactical, BCM, LMT, LWRC a few to name some!

3. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

Unfortunately it's not as cut and dry as 1200 colt or cheaper 500. There are guns out there that are in between that price range that IMO are just as good if not better than colt such as Bravo company (BCM) or Daniel defense. It just takes some time looking and thinking about what you want if it were me I would go with a BCM, which is actually what I am in the process of doing. You can have one in your lap for under 1k and it will stick with that colt any day. Go look at the new thread colt vs BCM if your curious.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your only shooting it 100-200 rounds a month and its just a range toy you can live with i dont see anything wrong with a cheap solution. long as you understand the quality is going to be poor at best.

cant count how many folks i see at the local rifle range with junk rifles claiming the ar platform is crap bevause they bought super cheap piece of junk.

if your going to use it a lot, run it hard, expect it perform no matter what, might have to take it to a life or death situation i would recomend getting something like a colt or bcm

if your looking for a tack driving wonder i would recomend something a in the upper end as well.

just depends on your use. if you DO buy cheap just dont complain about that decision later by blaming the gun :D

5. connectegr

connectegr New Member

There are a lot of options between $700 and $1000, that are reliable well made rifles. There are dozens of posts on this forum about the options.

6. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

are there any companies/makers/importers that i should stay away from at any price?

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats very subjective. all companies let stinkers out the door now and again. some do it more than others. i dont think your going to find a list of suck here as the folks that tend to congregate on FTF are largerly conservative and prefer to focus on the positive things a product provides rather than focus on the negative.

i dont think your going to get a negative list we tend to prefer giving a positive list

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

One important question is, what are you planning on doing with it? Are there companies that some of us will avoid like a day at a leper colony? Sure. But, for someone who, as JonM explained, is plinking at the range on the weekend, would be fine for.
    But a competitive shooter would require one type, a run and gun type we'd recommend something different, the all around, does it all decent but none to win a trophy type a third, and so on.
    There are some that will be qualified as safe queens, as well.
    But your intentions are a key part of the corner. I'd recommend reading the stickies at the top of the page to get a basic idea.

9. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

let me clarify...are there any particular models that are not worth the price? i'm not against spending the money it takes to receive quality, but a $600 rifle that shoots as well as a $1200 one is $600 that I can use for something else, like another gun...IDK what do you think?

10. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

11. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I suggest you stay away from Vulcan armament.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Stay away from:
    Vulcan
    Hesse
    Blackthorne

I don't recommend polymer receivers. Seen a few varieties break in thin areas where they don't make the polymer thicker and aluminum would hold up better.

I had some bad experience with an Olympic many years ago.

Those are about all I think I can comment on from laying my eyes or hands on.

13. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

can't tell you what to avoid, i don't have enough knowledge or experience i'm afraid.

but, i recently bought a S&W M&P sport. i haven't had it very long, but i have really enjoyed it. it cost me $679....but can be had from anywhere form about $620-720 ($649 at acadmy if you can find it in stock). about 300-400 rounds without a hiccup so far, and it is shaping up to be very accurate as well.

so far, i would strongly recommend it. i picked it up as a suggestion from posters here. good calll, guys!

as good as prices are getting, i think that (finally) you don't have to drop a grand to get a good AR.

14. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

I researched this subject, on this site, several months ago and went with a used Colt lower and new Stag upper. Almost finished with the build and can't with to throw some lead down range.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on what your doing. if you say your going to be competing in cmp service rifle competition i would say avoid guns from bcm colt daniel defense and go with a service rifle from rock river arms as a starter. if your going to be on the swat team in your police dept i would say stay away from smith and wesson and dpms and bushmaster and go with bcm or colt or daniel defense.

its hard to say "get this it rocks the socks!!" when we have no idea your intended use.

as a weekend plinker sw mp15-22 works just fine if your going to carbine classes you want something sturdier, if your going varminting you want a different type of AR15

thats why there isnt really a truly bad brand just depends.

im not going to put up a list of this or that is crap junk schlock stuff.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Also some avatars I've had the misfortune to see. :( This is a thread to avoid

17. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Which is absolutely why I refuse to name companies.

18. cvia

cvia New Member

Hey man, I don't own an AR yet but my buddy got a Smith&Wesson M&P AR sporter. We have put no less then 2K threw it with no problems. Run it wet.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Oops, I meant to put an :eek: at the end of my post... :D

I just hope the broccoli gang doesn't start mooning us next! :p

20. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

HA! Sorry, I'll change it.