AR's sold like hotcakes

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mark F, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I was at a small privately owned local gunshop yesterday, and I was ASTONISHED. It was standing room only as the place was packed with people. The gunshop received in a pallet load of AR-15's and they were selling as fast as the guns were checked in. It was amazing. These AR's ranged from 800.00 to 1600.00 dollars. Most were .223 but a few 7.62 and even a few 308's were in there.

The entire pallet was enpty by 6:00pm. Interestingly, there isn't a single box of ammo to be found here. Normally, there is 1000 round cases lining the walls. Not any more...

I told the owner (A. B.) he needs to write obama a thank you letter...

2. opaww

opaww New Member

Been a lot of this going around in the last few months

3. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

I was in a local gunshop yesterday (11/11) and expressed surprise that there were still 7 or 8 ARs in his floor rack. He told me that those were the last ones he had and that he had sold 7 guns today to people who were standing outside waiting for him to open up. He said that had never happened before in all the years his family (multi-generation ownership) had owned the store.

He usually has about 30 to 50 AR's on hand. He figures they will be gone by Friday or the weekend at the latest.

4. supergus

supergus New Member

My local gun shop has called about a dozen suppliers and no AR's. One manufacturer,( DPMS I think) has stopped production on all but their three most popular AR's just to try to catch up to the demand. The gun shop ownwer said the last time he saw "panic" like this was 9-11. His wife and son were working at the shop and they had to call him in to help. When he got there he had to park on the shoulder of the road 'cause the parking lot was completely full. When they opened their ammo shelves were full. When they closed there was not one single round left in the building.

5. junho806

junho806 New Member

same with my local gun shop
    they had walls and racks of AR-15's
    i went last weekend they had one left...

6. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

Obviously this reflects a high level of trust by the gunowners of America in the integrity of Obama's stated intentions of "respecting the 2A".

7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Same here. Even the oddball ammo is gone.:(

8. fin24000

fin24000 New Member

well the last time i was at my local shop (last Monday before elation day) all the stripped lowers and most of the Ar's where gone.... haven't been there since but I know one of the other shops (champions) in CS) is always packed now selling pistols and the such.... Its amazing how much trust the people have in Obama.

9. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You guys know what supply and demand is?

Methinks the market may be taking advantage of paranoia, founded as it may be, to make a few extra dollars.

If I were of the foil hat wearing crowd, I would bet that the gun industry backed Obama's campaign.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  10. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I'm not even trying to buy now. I've expressed it before but I don't think the AWB if implemented will be done quickly. So come March/April your going to have a ton of people with AR's and a sagging economy so I expect to see a huge influx of cheap AR/AK for sale.

11. matt g

That's what I'm hoping for myself.

12. Musket

Musket New Member

Well, I am not sure sure folks will be getting rid of their stock too soon, as we have 4 years of O and potentially 8 (oh the horror).

That being said, my opinion is that there are also other drivers of this surge in purchasing various firearms & ammo--in particular the aforementioned sagging economy.

Crime is bound to go up. I have two girlfriends who this week asked me to help them get CCWs (they are shotgunners, and just have not yet bothered to get pistol permit). They are concerned about the spike in crime and would like to get pistols.

That being said, you are correct about the timeline. I know legislation--having been politically involved for more than a decade. First, O needs to be inaugerated, which will not happen until Jan 20. Then he needs all his appointments and transition stuff to take place (its a huge amount of work). so at a bare minimum we are looking at Feb 1st. Then session needs to get up and running and the bill needs to go through committees etc.

So, in my mind, it IS coming eventually, but I dont think we will start to see antigun movement until after Feb 1.

That said however, we are dealing with a whole new era here, and we have a single party holding 95% of the cards, so anything is possible. O might try and flex executive orders, or have an emergency session or who knows...

Pelosi is already calling for a special "lame duck" session to happen next week to pass legislation to bail out the auto industry (dont even get me started on that).

So theoritically something could happen soon, but logistically, its probably more lik 3 to 6 months (not that THAT is any better either).

Just my purely unscientific hypothetical out of the loop thought process, so make of it what you want. :rolleyes:

I already have my guns & ammo hoarded downstairs next to the tinfoil and bottled water hahah. :D

13. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

God, I hope and pray you are right..............

14. matt g

Wait, you have 2 girlfriends?

Nice!

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Not quite what you think Brother - that's Lady Musket that you are talking too.... and I assume she means female accomplices, er, friends. :p

16. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I won't ever get rid of my AR, cause if the economy sags to much and I can't afford food, then those hunting seasons won't matter crap to me. I'm sorry but I will drop a deer in July to eat if I have to. Plus, with my first kid on the way, no-one in my house goes hungry.

17. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The only connection I'm not making is that a huge fear is confiscation. Why are so many investing in firearms that could potentially be taken?

18. bkt

bkt New Member

It's more a concern of a new gun ban rather than door-to-door confiscation. With previous bans, new firearms sales were banned but owners of banned firearms were permitted to keep them. If there is a new ban in the near future, people expect the stuff they buy today will be grandfathered and left alone.

As for any attempts at confiscation, that's a different story which would not play out well.

19. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

As expected, demand is out srtipping supply for AR's thus driving prices to "PROFITEERING" levels for sellers. However, there is a SILVER LINING... for us that are looking for "other" weapons.

I was hanging out in the parking lot at my local gun dealer shootin' the breeze with fellow gun owners, and watching people going into the shop. Once in a while someone would bring a trade-in hoping to save a buck or two. Some guy pulls up and gets a Mossberg 500A Tactical Conversion out of his car. I said "nice shotgun" you selling it? He replies that he hopes he can use it for trade-in on an AR. I said yes you can, but you won't get much for it. Maybe 75 dollars tops. He said OK, SO I WHIPPED OUT $75.00 and bought me a really nice Mossberg 500A.

And here is is... I even got 5 boxes of Winchester high-brass #4 shells with it.

Attached Files:

20. Musket

Musket New Member

Ah, Dillinger outed me :rolleyes: I don't pack heat the same way as you gents do :eek: :D

Yes Matt, I am female, Dillinger correctly noted that those would be my accomplises.. ha.

There is definitely a good buy market out there for shotguns. My husband is awfully lucky, as our collection of sxs has increased significantly in the last 6 months.

The downside: now I need to buy yet another safe...sigh.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.