Arrested Over A "Smart Meter"

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

It is a hot issue here in California for sure. I have opted out (which is an option we have) of the program but it is due to my concern that the Smart Meter is unable to go backwards, something that is essential for me because I have a solar PV system that produces more energy than I use, and the meter must run backwards. If it doesn't run backwards I won't get full credit for the energy my system produces. The RF exposure is a drop in the bucket considering all of the exposure we have from all of the devices we use and live around daily (like the laptop with the wireless connection that I am typing on right now.)

3. txcasey86

txcasey86 New Member

I want to pose one question to anyone concerned about bills going up after getting these meters.

How old was the analog meter that was there previously?

I know for a fact that a lot of analog meters are upwards of 50 years old. I worked for the electric company here for 6 years, 2.5 of which were actually installing these meters. The old meters never get tested during their lifespan for accuracy. They are completely mechanical. What happens to mechanical devices that are 50 years old? Do they run like they did when they were brand new?

Just my $0.02 for what it worth. I no longer work for the company, due to the installation project of 3.4 million meters being finished. They let all of the installers go, as well as the few meter readers that were left. Too many people to place into positions that weren't there.

4. txcasey86

txcasey86 New Member

Hey Viking, do you know who your meter was made by? Is it a Landis&Gyr meter? They do actually make meters that measure what gets put back into the grid from those like yourself with solar systems.

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

From what I read in the Bakersfield area they did temporarily install some meters in series, both analog and Smart Meter, and found that they did not read the same usage over the same time but the utility blew it off. I will see if I can find the story as it is a couple of years old. There was also a case where a guy in one house was being charged for the usage in another house in the vicinity. Apparently the meter installer had swapped the meters and the RF communications had no way of telling which one was where. The homeowner was paying the bill for a multi-family dwelling which had a significantly higher rate of usage. again, I will have to dig up the story.

6. txcasey86

txcasey86 New Member

That has happened here a couple of times. If that happens, it's always best to call the electric company to verify what meter you are supposed to have. Every meter has its own ID number.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Mine is a GE KVC2S, it is a bi-directional meter, not a Smart Meter. It must be read manually. In California we can opt out of a Smart Meter, it costs $75 and we have to pay $6 a month to have it read.

AFAIK, there are no Smart Meters that are bi-directional. There is also the problem that a Smart Meter cannot differentiate between what is consumed and what is produced on the customer's side of the meter. One of the purported advantages of the Smart Meter is that it "allows" the customer to see when their usage is highest so that they can adjust their habits to use more energy when the demand is lower. With us, we work from home so our usage is not typical, also we use more energy during the day when most other people are at work, which is also the time when our solar PV system is typically generating the most energy.

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Oh, and our old analog meter (which also cannot run backwards) was installed when we re-built the house in 1991 after the old house was destroyed in the 1989 earthquake, so it was not that old.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i don't have anything to add at this time, and just wanted to learn about these Smartmeters. this discusion came up at work today when we were listening to it on the radio. ;)

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

11. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

It's all about your carbon footprint and how the government can cheat you out of more of your hard earned dollars.

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yeah, well I am well into the negative numbers as far as my "carbon footprint" is concerned. I just wish that I could cash in on some of that "carbon credit" money that is out there:mad:.

13. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple things, first my dad is an electrical systems design engineer and helped design much of the smart grid. For the most part public utilities in America are run very well and the smart grid is a good idea in theory... depending on how it is used. The cost of energy production is going up no matter what your political ideologies may be and in order to offset some of that we need to better analyze production, distribution and usage. The smart grid is not a violation of anyone's rights, they can monitor your usage, recommend ways to help you adjust your usage and if need be cut your usage for you, and there is nothing you can do about it. Well, you can exercise your freedom of speech and scream your head off. Lastly, I was still living in California when a smart meter was installed, that thing was garbage, it said our highest usage was at 3 am when everyone was asleep. The first two months our bill nearly doubled before mysteriously going back to a normal usage. PG&E said we could have our meter checked for a fee but there was already a waiting list about a year long and they guaranteed it was working properly, we left the state before ever resolving the issue. One last thing, if your worried about electro magnetic radiation you're either horribly misinformed or slightly retarded, either way you have a better chance of being shot by one of those evil assault rifles than you do of being killed by a brain tumor. There is enough electro magnetic radiation in America we can now passively track aircraft without turning on a radar, in fact one way to detect stealth aircraft is to look for the hole in the sky because they are absorbing the radiation. Point is, if it's bad for you you're completely screwed!!!

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Ive had a few friends over the years get newer (Non Smart) meters because they complained that their power was being metered wrongly. They were right, unfortunately in the wrong direction, their bills increased with the new meter. I suspect even with the super best needle bearings, they become a bit sluggish over time.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

In the rural area i live in, some people have their meter mounted on a pole that is not necessarily all that close to their house. Perhaps, this would be an acceptable alternative so far as limiting their RF exposure? My nephews meter is at least 20 yards from his home.

Alternatively, people can opt to have their electrical service disconnected, can't they? Perhaps a natural gas-powered generator would be an acceptable alternative for those who are truly worried about the new meters?

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Not only is it not worth getting arrested over ... the woman is clearly in the wrong. The meter and socket panel are property of the utility company so if they want to upgrade the meters that is their choice.

if that woman doesn't want a smart meter I suggest she take her home off the grid ;)

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

easiest way to get off the grid. just don't pay your electric bill and they will do it for you!

18. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Exactly. If you want to use the power company's juice, then you need to let the power company install their equipment to measure how much of their juice you're consuming.

If you don't want to submit to their tiered payment schedule, then your only option is to quit using their service. switch companies or start making your own power.

The lady in this instance was wrong and deserved what she got.