Firearms Talk banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
That would be debatable by the SOCOM shooters whose life depends on it.

BTW, here's some cost info regarding air-ground munitions, and their cost. Note this doesn't include the cost (and danger to pilots) of operation of the aircraft delivering justice.

There is a trend toward limiting lethal weaponry when collateral loss of innocent life is a concern; the small-diameter bomb being one (not to mention the "Hassan-Chop" Hellfire that has no explosive warhead but a number of blades to slice-and-dice the target). There is nothing more precise toward a specific target than a good sniper with a great rifle, particularly at great range with the right ammo for the target and range. Not to mention the psychological effect of spattering a bad guy's brains all over his compatriots when they have no idea what happened. They live in fear after that.

Snipers are the epitome of precision weaponry.
I think it would need to be compared with similar weapons, you can always point to more expensive weapons systems. A rifles range is limited no matter who is shooting it, Hellfire missile can get the job done at around 5 miles. If the army based their weapons procurement on its cheaper than a aircraft etc so it OK, they would soon run out of money. Maybe the American army is ahead of the game, a rifle with three different barrels / calibres or it could be a case of gold plating.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think it would need to be compared with similar weapons, you can always point to more expensive weapons systems. A rifles range is limited no matter who is shooting it, Hellfire missile can get the job done at around 5 miles. If the army based their weapons procurement on its cheaper than a aircraft etc so it OK, they would soon run out of money. Maybe the American army is ahead of the game, a rifle with three different barrels / calibres or it could be a case of gold plating.
as an american I think we spend WAYYYY to much money on our army

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Ronnie Barrett's Company here in Tennessee gets a $50 Million Dollar Contract for the Army's Precision Sniper Rifle Program. The new Sniper Rifles are in multi caliber options. 7.62X51, 300 Norma Magnum and 338 Normal Magnum. At the present time the contract is figured on 2,800 units. Which figures at a ridiculous price per Rifle at close to $18,000. Even though I am sure it is accompanied by the barrels for the 3 different calibers, Magazines, Scopes, Mounts, Storage Cases, Spare maintenance parts, Cleaning Systems but still that is Government exuberant spending and waste of our tax dollars. Not to mention the cost of the specialized ammunition for the two 300 Calibers. The Marine Corp Sniper Program is also wanting this Rifle. *The Barrett Multi Role MRAD Sniper Rifle. They have estimated each Rifles in their "predicted Budget" of a cost around $17,000 +. If it is the same as the Army Contract they are looking closer to $18,000 per unit.
Nice Rifle and great Optics! Night Force! But a bunch of $$$$$$$$$!
View attachment 240645 03
Yes the government does spend our tax dollars wildly but if your son or daughters life was saved by a sniper's shot from one of these weapons you would think it was money well spent.

·
Supporting Member
12,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

You are exactly correct! The Contract involves much more cost than the Rifle itself! In my first Thread comment I did not focus on all the logistical support that would be required for the Weapon System regarding all that was involved in the Contract. And also being a World Wide Military application regarding my second response, in my Post responding to RJF's response earlier. Which was very well stated and in depth regarding the Contract!;)

Reactions: RJF22553
21 - 26 of 26 Posts