Army's new sidearm?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Crazvet, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Seen something about the Army may adopt a new sidearm, it was a FN something? Seen it on Facebook so its probably bogus, just wonder if anyone else seen it?

2. Donn

Donn Active Member

The Army signed a five year extension with Beretta earlier this year.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you saw it on Facebood i would question the credibility of it for sure. but, it is possible. the military adopts a lot of different arms for diffrent purposes and they may be adopting something new to replace something else.

4. Axxe55

the Beretta is the standard service pistol they issue to soldiers. they use other types and brands for other purposes as well. so this may be replacing some other pistol in their inventory.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Kinda reminds me how everyone was saying "The Marines are going back to Colt 1911's!!!!" And... they weren't. Force Recon was replacing their aging and worn stock of 1911's with some new ones is all...

So, if there's any shred of truth to this thing you saw on Facebook, it's probably something similar.

6. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I spent 9+ yrs w the Army so I know how slow they would move if they were gonna replace the M9. I really was wondering about the which FN(I know the M249) handgun they might be using

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

They aren't replacing the m9 anytime soon. It works well enough for the purpose and nothing out there works truly better for a military role. Unlike enlightened liberal paradises like russia cuba and iran our sidearms aren't used to execute our own people for minor infractions of incorrect political or religous thought, they just dont get used as much as those places and are simply last resort self defense weapons when everything else has failed or gone ohsht.

8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The only thing I have seen about FN and the army was a less than lethal riot control device, but it's not a sidearm. They are looking to replace the M92, but it was my understanding that proposals were not being solicited until early next year.

From the Army Times:

Link to Story

9. Axxe55

it also usually takes them a bit of time to go through trials and testing before making a decision to make a change too.

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Yup. Government inaction at it's best, and that is not a typo.

11. Axxe55

i didn't gather it was a typo!

even if they needed it yesterday, it will still take them two or more years before something passes. the hurry up and wait syndrome!

12. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Thx guys, I was pretty certain it was just FB rumors, it peaked my interest cause it looked like a FN Five Seven.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

With the scaling back of the military, I don't see them changing ANYTHING right now.

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

This administration changed "Don't ask Don't tell." :p :rolleyes:

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yes I can just see the Obama administration allowing a more modern handgun for the military. It is more likely the Democrats would ban handguns and Black Rifles in the hands of 18 year olds. Joe Biden would like our military armed with 12 gauge double barreled shotguns.:(

16. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I would've never got on the plane to Iraq if they had handed me a double barrel shotgun

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

There are already several different platforms in limited use for more specialized work. If there was an overpowering need I suppose they could quickly change to one of them, but justifying it later might end some careers.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree with this. Coupled with extreme budget cuts, I don't see the M9 going anywhere anytime soon.

19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The understanding I've been getting is that they are going to have to replace the present M9s, even if it's with more M9s. They are at the end of their serviceable life.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

That makes sense. Still a whole lot cheaper than finding a total replacement.

When the military looks into replacing a firearm they spend billions of dollars in research, testing, more testing, more research, field tests, and then maybe issue them to the troops.

Its happened a lot in the last couple decades (either trying to replace the M9 or the M16) and the end result was always scrapping the idea and sticking with what we've got, AFTER investing billions into the project.