Army the only way?

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Drunk, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Drunk

Drunk New Member

I just reciently got out of the Army and I was a 240b gunner. There is a hole where My weapon system filled. My question is: What would I have to do to be able to own my beloved 240 once again (legaly)? I fear if I can't have it as a civi I'll renlist just to have it. Help?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Drunk- welcome to the forum. When you sober up, stop by the introductions thread, and say hello.

Now for the bad news.

Only those machine guns already registered with the BATFE by May 1986 can be transferred to a private citizen. There are only a few M240s in that group. As a result, the price is out of sight- about $30,000. You would need to locate an available gun, contact a Class III Dealer in your home state, file paperwork with the BATFE, pay a one time $200 transfer tax, and wait for approval. IF your home state permits private ownership of a machine gun,

Alternative- get a job working for a dealer that sells machine guns. Alternative- get a job working for US Defense contractor that repairs and test fires M240s
    Alternative- raise your right hand, say I do, take one step forward

3. Drunk

Drunk New Member

So other than the cost of the firearms all I need is the $200 tax stamp?

4. c3shooter

OK- you reside in MD, right? MD permits possession as long as you meet Federal law. You need to find a MD class III dealer. You need to be 21, able to own a firearm, do background check paperwork with ATF, get fingerprinted, get OK from local Chief law enforcement, and have the money for the gun and tax. Dealer will also have charges for transfer.

Really- go talk with a MD dealer. Oh- try to find someplace to shoot it.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

C3, don't they make a civilian version that fires semi auto only?

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. c3shooter

Yes, they make semi auto versions of a number of full auto firearms.

To me that is like bragging that you got a kiss from a girl-

If the girl is your Aunt Emily! :p

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

24.2 lbs! Does anyone make a semi-auto that is heavier than that beast?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

10. NativH

NativH New Member

And lots of money for ammo at $.70 a round. Even my 5.56 FA's get rather expensive to shoot at $.35 a round and 12 rounds a second. Can you say, 4 dollars, 4 dollars, 4 dollars. And it goes about that fast.

Not for those without extensive wallets. You can easily outshoot the price of the weapon in the first year of ownership. I know.

11. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

If you can't afford the Ammo, then you can't afford the gun.

:p

12. NativH

NativH New Member

Exactly why I don't own a M134.:eek: FA Steyr AUG and AC556 seem fine until an Uzi shows up at home.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  13. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

So How do you like your AC556 ? I have one too. My son has an Uzi, Nothing special other than it really reliable but so is my S&W76 !

:)

14. NativH

NativH New Member

Been away from the forum for awhile. I think the AC556 is a great, user friendly, reliable FA. I just sold it and the Steyr to put the funds towards some retirement property in the hill country west of Austin. Backed out of the Uzi and a silencer also. A bit sorry I sold them but the acreage is nice to have wrapped up. And I will have the funds in about 18-24 months to get back into the FA arena and a mini Uzi is the front runner along with a M2. Another AC556 will also probably come home as they are a great inexpensive 5.56 FA. I just wish Ruger would have kept supporting the AC, especially with replacement barrels. One of my biggest concerns with any FA.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

A semi auto version of a machine gun is about as useful as a diet crouton. Most of these weapons fire from the open bolt position. Depressing the trigger sends a heavy bolt powered by a heavy spring slamming forward to strip and fire the next cartridge in the belt. Sustained fire and the ability to walk round on target makes them a valuable suppressive fire asset in FA configuration but I'd take an M1A or an M82A1 over any semi "civi legal" open bolt variant of a machine gun.

Tack

Tack

16. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Tack - I think your quote is incorrect. I have never seen a semi auto version of a full auto MG that runs in a open bolt configuration. Most full auto run open bolt, but not their Semi cousins.

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Good to know. Still would not own one. They were never designed for one shot accuracy.

Showing up at the range with one of these would be kind of like taking a blow up doll to the prom.