ARMSCOR Rock Island 1911 ?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by yesicarry, Apr 7, 2010.

1. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Under 500 bucks. Parkerized finish. Nothing fancy. Been reading about them. Not pretty but reliable from what is read so far..

Any opinions on these ? Originally made in the the Phi.Islands and imported by ARMSCOR in Pahrump, NV..

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

ARMSCOR is the company in the PI that manufactures guns for Rock Island among others. Good solid entry level 1911s and RIA has great customer service should it be needed. At the $500 point, you should be getting a Tactical model with beavertail, dovetailed Novak sights, etc...

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've owned one and shot several. They are pretty nice. It's one of the better deals on an entry level 1911. AS said already at that money you're looking at the tactical model. A couple bells and whistles.

4. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Great gun for the money. Accurate and reliable. I have 3 of them.

5. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had the Tactical model. It was a POS. I'm sure it was just a lemon and not necessarily indicative of Rock Island's in general. However, I don't believe I would own another one because of the experience.

7. jlank

jlank New Member

I have the GI and compact. Both have been reliable and worth the money.

8. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

I have the 5" Tactical, the 3.5" GI and the 5" Match and they are all very reliable and accurate. Evey gun company makes a few lemons.

9. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

So, I have report of a bad experience (CA357) but yet all others say it is a decent deal for these pistols.
    That one that Canebrake showed is beautiful ! Showed the wife. She even liked it. Woo Hoo..

I knew I could count on everyone here. Looks like a 1911 is in the near future. Hopefully I can get one before my Birthday in June so I can shoot it on the day of.

Unfortunately, now I feel my 9mm is inferior and you all have created a monster.. But dam,... Feels Good !

THANKS !!

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have no doubt that CA357 may have gotten a lemon; however, I've known folks that have used RIA's customer service and found it awesome...

12. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Rock Island has one of the best CS depts., if not the best out there.

13. CA357

Like I said, I'm sure mine was a lemon. That's why I don't bash RIA's, too many people have good results with them.

I felt it was only fair to share my experience for balance. I might even consider trying another one someday. I might not, but...

14. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

What was wrong with the one you had? If you ever get another and have a problem, just call the service dept. and ask for Arnel. He's their guru and will take great care of you.

15. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I like the ones I own, 45's & a 38Super. :)

16. CA357

Mine wouldn't feed consistently. I bought it new and it never fed. I used the RIA specified mags and it just wouldn't feed.

My 1911 is designated as my :combat" gun. If it ever comes down to it, it gets the duty. I couldn't trust the RIA.

I don't have a bunch of money and multiple guns in multiple calibers. My customized Sistema 1911 has the duty now that it's re-broken in.