Armorer's tools

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by matt g, Nov 12, 2009.

1. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

What special tools are needed to assemble an M4gery AR with a YHM gas block and possibly a Bushy piston setup?

2. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

how much of everything are you going to have to assemble?

a DPMS multi-tool will handle most assemblies, from stocks to suppressors. other than that, a set of punches, vice grips with taped jaws, a mallet, basic hand tools, maybe an action block to hold the receiver when you install the barrel (if the barrel assembly isn't already installed on the upper).

now the piston setup, not too much experience there, but from what i've read and seen, basically the same tools.

Slo

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

If it happens, they'll be ground up builds. I'll most likely be assembling them from stripped receivers, both bottom and top.

4. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

I would definitely go with the:

1) Action Block

2) Multi-Tool

3) Snap-ring pliers

4) set of punches (preferrably roll-pin punches, but regular will do, assorted sizes)

5) Vice grips with taped jaws (makes inserting rolls pins a breeze) - make sure to put a drop of lube or oil on the pins when you are installing them, makes for smoother sailing

5a) Razor blade - for holding down detent pins and springs when you are inserting take down and pivot pins - and a large clear plastic bag, to do your assembly in when you get to that stage - trust me, this is a grief saver - the razor blade keeps the detent pin and springs from launching across the room, but if they do manage to get by, the plastic bag keeps everything right there ;)

6) Needle nose and mallet - in case you don't have the vice grips

7) Molybdenum-Disulfide grease - for installing barrels into upper receiver - wheel bearing grease works, too

8) a bench vice - to hold it all while you assemble

9) enough bench space left over to put copies of assembly instructions or maybe a laptop PC with access to internet so you can watch assembly instructions on Brownell's site or arfcom, and room for a six-pac :p

As you go along, you'll figure out which tools work best for you and you'll end up streamlining your assemblies.

Slo