Armistice Day

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Boris, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Boris

Boris New Member

Well Armistice Day approaches and this year I will be taking a drive up to the Argonne Wood to pay my respects and also to visit a private museum dedicated to those American's of the 77th. Division who fought there. If I have time I will also travel over to Ypres where I lost family.

The Great War has an effect on me I really don't know why, maybe it was the great loss of life, or the fact that given it was considered the 'war to end all wars' and that after four years of unrelenting war that touched every family in the land we are still stupit enough to indulge in it...

2. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

I wouldn't exactly call it an indulgence, a necessary evil as long as evil men will try to force their will on others. Has existed since the beginning of time. No one hates it more than the ones who have to fight, trust me.
    I have been to Verdun years ago, it is a haunted place. The ground looks like there are cars buried all over from where the artillery has churned the earth up. Very wretching seeing the Ossuary with the bones of thousands that will never be known. No, no one in their right mind would "indulge" in it. But there are worse alternatives.

3. CARNUT1100

CARNUT1100 New Member

I will be going to the Cenotaph for the 11:00 service as I do every year.
    I won't be coming in to work in the morning and that's for sure.

4. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

not trying to be ignorant or rude but what r u guys talking about, most sincere

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Boris, please remember what America's Sky Soldiers did for you too. As a member of the 82nd Airborne Division, I carry a great deal of pride for what my brethren did for the liberation of Europe. I shall celebrate those that I served with, those that came before me and those that came after me.

Dead American Paratroopers are what I drink for, when I do. Dead American Paratroopers are what I breathe for, when I do. Dead American Paratroopers are what I live for, when I can. Dead American Paratroopers are what has maintained the Worlds' freedom, and to that, I am forever indebted.

Toast: To us and those like us.
    Counter: May God rest their souls!

Rest in Peace my brethren. Everything I shall do tomorrow and forever will be in your names.

Really? We call it Veterans' Day. Please read up on it and learn what Armistice Day means to the Europeans. I would only hope that it means as much to you as it does to them. Your freedom, as does theirs' is owed to many great Americans that left their blood and their lives in Europe.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  6. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

sorry never heard of it refered to as Armistice Day. once again my apologies

7. matt g

Not at all, Armistice is more important than veterans. You're not taught about Armistice, you're taught about veterans. It lies the other way for the Europeans that we fought to free though.

8. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

thanx, ? though where is jefferson city

9. matt g

10. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

so one of two which

11. Boris

Boris New Member

-

Matt.....Argonne Wood as you may be aware was the first deployment of US trrops in 1918, having orders to take the wood, and against advice allied command of a direct assault, in four hous they took more causalties than US troops took during the whole of the D Day landings, and it's to those I am paying my respects. There are the graves of 14,000 US soldiers buried there, one third of those that fell, the remainder having been replatriated home.

Uncle Joe was wounded at Pegasus Bridge during Market Garden, and as a veteran paratrooper you will know what I am talking about........... He said that if 'life and God spares him' he is going to visit the battlefied next year and as asked me to accompany him...sounds odd but I am looking forward to the trip....

The Armistice for those who do not know was the agreement to cease hositilities on the Western Front effectively ending the war. It also inculded effectively the surrender although not unconditionally of the Germany Army. It signed at 5am, although did not come into effect 11am, 11th. November 1918. (hence the 11 hour of the 11th day of the 11th. month...). One celebrates the veterans, and remembers the fallen with equal measure.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  12. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

"To save your world you asked this man to die;
    Would this man, could he see you now, ask why?"

W.H. Auden

Epitaph for an Unknown Soldier

13. matt g

I hope you and your Uncle Joe make that trip next year, as I hope that I can make it myself some day.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Great post Boris - There was information there I had not heard before. Really excellent contribution.

JD

15. matt g

It's funny how Americans scream freedom every chance they get, yet they've never truly faced oppression and never had to live through war.

A good portion or Europe is still scarred from the last fray.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Have you seen the news surrounding the Muslim "Invasion"?? They are a hell of a lot closer to another fray than we are on our soil....

Isn't it Demark or Sweden, one of those countries, has pretty much completely cut off immigration.... Scary.

17. matt g

Maybe they're right in doing so?

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You certainly wouldn't get any argument out of me or anyone around the shop, that's for sure.

19. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

You guys might try ordering a book through your local library (inter library loan) called "Camp of the Saints". Can't recall the author's name (he is French).

He wrote this book about the destruction of European society by a non-violent, but not peaceful, invasion of France by a mass emigration from India.

It was written in the early '70's, and, except for the error of where the immigrants come from, it has become true. It is a process of slow conquest. It is a very spooky book.

Interesting book.............

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

There's another one called America Alone that bkt turned me on to and it quite frankly scared the crap out of me. :eek: