Armed intruder shot and killed

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by pioneer461, May 9, 2013.

1. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Warrenton, on the Oregon coast near the mouth of the Columbia River and the end of the Lewis & Clark trail. A 43 year old woman successfully defended herself and her children when her estranged husband illegally entered the home (restraining order?) armed with a gun (story doesn't say what kind of gun). Mom, a 19 year old male and kids, fled to the bedroom where they hunkered down and called 9-1-1. While on the phone with dispatch, hubby kicked in the bedroom door and was promptly shot to death. News isn't saying who shot him, or if mom and 19 year old both did.

As with most of these kinds of stories, the Big City (Portland) gives it only scant attention. http://www.kptv.com/story/22189913/warrenton-family-shoots-and-kills-armed-intruder

Local news goes into a bit more detail; http://www.dailyastorian.com/free/w...cle_b1265314-b7fc-11e2-a583-0019bb2963f4.html

From my knowledge of the area, it is unlikely any charges will be filed, as the DA there is pro-gun and supports self defense. The dead guy has assumed room temperature.

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Estranged Husband + Restraining Order + Gun + Threat + Bedroom Forced Entry = PAID FOR! ;)

3. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes violators of restraining orders become worm food.

Some judge let the scumbag out of jail after he was charged with this:

Rogers was arrested around 7 p.m., charged with fourth-degree assault, coercion, second-degree criminal mischief, interfering with making a police report and strangulation. He was booked into the Clatsop County Jail.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Luckily the right person is wearing the toe tag. With his history against this same woman it could have gone the other way. Restraining orders are helpful when they deal with a fairly law abiding citizen, but in reality they are as worthless as gun laws when it comes to the criminal element.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

In the end, a restraining order really is nothing but a piece of paper. I really don't see someone who would already be considered violent, being stopped by a mere piece of paper.

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

True, but there is a difference between someone that is violent as a way of life and someone that was goaded into a one time thing. The one timer will usually respect the order for protection. In this case I agree the OFP was worthless.

And then there are divorce cases. One spouse will often do anything and everything to harass the other spouse including lie their butts off about a need for protection.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Lol...my ex tried to get a restraining order...the judge ended up granting me and my son one instead!

Um, if I really, REALLY wanted to be a jerk, couldn't I cause some problems over her living with a boyfriend who has hunting rifles? And the order has been lifted/expired/overruled?

I don't care about her or her new guy, and I think that with the heat of the moment gone, there would never be any issues...

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I thought about what you wrote.

But it's not just a piece of paper in one respect and alot less in another. It is a line. Drawn by people. The law. A line one is warned not to cross. And if one does they do so knowing that they did so in violation of the law and that there will be repurcussions. The reasonable man doesn't approach that line. The fearful man doesn't cross it. But the man bent on violence!?

It may be meangingless. May even be a challenge. A dare! The law and its piece of paper aren't even a speedbump to the villain and the outcomes are often violent and bloody as well as left to the mood of a killer.

I hope this badguy had no idea what was happening until he was shot. And then that he lived long enough to know that whatever evil he had in mind, however barberous, that it was not going to happen now. That he failed and had fallen, well vanquished, at the very footsteps of those he would violate. And, finally, that he knew he was a dead man and that there was just nothing for it...

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  9. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Restraining orders

They should be printed on rope, placed around the perps neck, and the other end tied to a high branch. With him standing on a two legged chair...............:eek:;)

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

If the order is still in effect, and if your local law is similar to ours, you could have her arrested for the firearm access if the order forbids them. Me? I would let it lie and move on in peace. It sounds like a can of worms you really don't want to open unless you're forced to.

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

A two legged chair? That doesn't sound very stable to me. Maybe an old wooden headstone...

"Blondeeeeeeeeeeeee"!

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I wonder if she would have done it to him? And if THAT changes the situation any...

I knew a woman, about as offbalanced as her husband was a raving obnoxious a-hole, and when they were getting divorced she got a restraining order against just to have his guns taken away. He told her he was just gonna go buy a shotgun, that he wasn't gonna be disarmed, and that there was nothing she could about it. He was right. She went to the police and they agreed -- his guns were taken for "safekeeping" but he was not prohibited from posession of a firearm.

Wonder if Trip might have been disarmed in his jurisdiction? Maybe, possibly, for life if it had gone the other way!?

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

I thought it was federal law? Don't they ask about it on the check form? I don't remember, even though I just bought a shotgun recently...

Either way, I do intend to let it lie in peace. I know she can't handle a gun, the custody papers give me the same legal footing the restraining order did, (except that she gets to see the kid now) and I damn sure wouldn't interfere with a hillbilly's hunting. That's like kicking someone's dog...

14. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

It is asked on the purchasing form, and I believe it keeps you from purchasing a new gun nationwide if the order is active or within the last three years.

This part is another one of those check your local statutes things. In a few states it is not illegal to possess a firearm even if there is a protection order against you. These states hold the opinion that the Constitution trumps federal gun laws. Some will allow all guns, some will allow long guns. Other states completely forbid possession of firearms as long as the order is active, and some even require them to be turned in only to the local law enforcement agency.

There is good news. Once the order is no longer in effect you can file a motion to have them returned. I believe you will still have a three year wait for new purchases, even with the order returning your older guns.

15. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

If he is in a state that demands he surrender his guns it could have been for life, but it's highly doubtful. If he kept clean and waited until after the order expired, or if he had it vacated, there is no legal reason to keep his guns. He would have to have a judge sign a release order, but he should get them back.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well, as I said, I'm gonna let it lie. Besides, she's in West Virginia, the orders were from Mississippi, and I'm in Louisiana. If I wanted to press the matter, it just wouldn't be worth it.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well the order was never taken against me. She tried, but the judge literally laughed. She had already screwed up so bad under that same judge that if the judge weren't an openly biased woman (she admitted this herself, kinda pissed me off), the ex would have been in jail on multiple contempt charges.

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I doubt you could press it with that distance involved. How do you explain having the information when they are so far away? Let it lie and don't lose any sleep over it. You and your kid are much better off now.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well explaining having the info is nothing, he was cleaning one of his rifles while they were video chatting on the internet.

But, I never even intended to cause them trouble, it was more an idle question than anything.

20. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Some people can be incredibly stupid.