Arkansas suppressors

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by chuck klapp, Jun 3, 2019.

1. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I get a kick out of some of these "You-tube" tinkerers and how they come up with some of their inventions. One major "gimmick" involves using an automobile oil filter for a silencer. Of course, not all oil filters now require a tax stamp, but the threaded device used to attach the oil filter onto the threaded muzzle now requires the $200.00 tax stamp.
    When we used to sneak onto golf courses as a kid because they were "over-stocked" with squirrels in their surrounding timber, we stretched baby bottle nipples over the muzzle of our .22 rifles to quiet 'em down a bit. Worked for around three shots, and that was it.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  2. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I tried that bottle nipple thing once, I couldn't tell any difference.

SRK97 likes this.

3. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, it won't work on a 12 gauge! :rolleyes:

Caveman Jim and SRK97 like this.
  4. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Another trenchant and witty comment.

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Well-Known Member

Alright, i know this thread is over a year old, but let me give you some input as I have traveled down this road before, successfully. I built mine using a 4 D cell maglite. I wrote the serial number from my maglight onto the serial number block of the ATF form 1, then put the maglight away until I got the form back with rhe stamp on it from the ATF. You can find a lot of good examples of successful form 1's with a Google search. Then I started buying parts. The baffles were steel freeze plugs (do a google search for D cell freeze plugs, you will find many vendors), I was also able to find a set of both end caps for my AR easily. The expensive part was the tool to form the freeze plugs inro baffles. That tool wasn't cheap, but it was necessary. After you've formed the baffle, drilling the hole comes next. My baffles had already been center punched when I got them, but if yours aren't, the tool for forming the baffles hs a hole centered to help out.
    http://www.jstactical.com/JForm-D-SS-Complete_p_15.html
    One other thing: the baffles are a press fit into the maglite. I had to take a hammer to a 1/2 " extension with a 3/4 socket to drive rhem in. It took 20 baffles to fill the tube up, but my AR shoots 007 quiet. The only noise is when the bullet breaks the sound barrier.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  6. fsted2a

fsted2a Well-Known Member