Arizona gun lock law proposed by Tucson lawmaker

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Bigcountry02, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

FYI!

http://www.kvoa.com/news/arizona-gun-lock-law-proposed-by-tucson-lawmaker/

TUCSON - A state representative is proposing a law requiring adults to lock up loaded guns.

Victoria Steele of Legislative District 9 said she grew up in a home where her dad locked the guns away, separate from the ammunition.

"To me, this is common sense. This is a no-brainer," Steele said. "We've got to keep children from having access to loaded firearms."

House Bill 2542 only applies to homes where a "minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the minor's parent or guardian." A parent can be charged with a felony if their child shoots somebody.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

But we will fill the tanks of their cars when they are 16.
    Or buy them skateboards when they are 12.
    Or put them in grocery carts when they are toddlers.
    Or put them in un-safe child seats in our cars.

Yeah, we have to protect the world from our own lack of common sense.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Diane Sawyer makes a propaganda piece about children and guns and this brainiac has a Come to Jesus moment.

Conclusion: there are too many people in government without enough to do.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

That is another scare tactic. I have a better chance of becoming governor of AZ than the odds of HB 2452 becoming law.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Liberals are carrying flowers to Obama's Political Funeral. Obama has lost, it is over for him. He was the last great hope of the Save the Planet damn the capitalist movement. It is now time for the left wingers broken and tattered to pray at his feet of clay.;)

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

We already have a similar law in Florida, Mr Governor.

In a way, I favor it. I've taught my granddaughter all I can about firearm safety. The problem lies with her friends. Who is teaching them? If it's not on my hip, it's locked. My daughter is the same way. Is it common sense? To you and I it is, but since when has common sense become common?

7. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Here's another ingredient for your "common sense" opinion:

1. It WILL costs lives to make people lock up their guns. Self-defence will become more difficult.

2. You WILL become low-hanging fruit for charges anytime the police are in your house for any reason and see your firearm unlocked for any reason. Believe it - we have "safe storage" laws here in Kanada. That's how these laws work.

If someone really cared about children's safety as opposed to, say, just cranking out some more anti-gun laws, don't you think it would be a matter of "common sense" to start where far more children are hurt and therefore pass laws that required locked fences around swimming pools? Locked lids on toilets? Locked covers on 5 gal. pails? (All of those things kill more children, btw.)

The really good propaganda always sounds sensible and good. That's why it works - we all like apple pie.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Just another whacky Democrat.. She use to be a news caster for several years in the Old Pueblo....

9. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Nice job of selective editing. If you would care to try again in a more respectful tone I'll be happy to address your comments.

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Of course it make sense, but what is really in the law. They usually have to sell it as something that makes sense, and bury the crap deep in the bill.

I do not support any of these laws, because they tend to be misused on otherwise law abiding citizens, with no effect on the bad guys.

Since I carry at home, will I have to sit in my safe?

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you do choose to sit in your safe will you send us pictures? :D

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

more laws will not save anyone. passing new laws makes the sheeple feel all warm and fuzzy and that they think someone cares. these idiots sleep more soundly at night because they are given a false sense of security. also, IMO, most laws are passed to generate revenue for someone. they don't care one bit about you or your childrens safety in the least. it boils down to making money for someone or someone is getting a kick-back due to a new law being passed.

13. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

In my state if your minor child gets ahold of your unsecured weapon and someone gets hurt or killed, you are criminally liable.

I have mixed feelings about this. If some heroin addict dad passes out leaving a loaded gun on the nightstand, and his 5 year old shoots the neighbor, it goes well beyond "hey its his house, his business". Stranger sh*t has happened.

That said passing a law that tells you HOW you have to secure your firearms is quite invasive. As was said, if you have to unlock a gun safe and then a separate lock to get at your ammo, any would-be home invader would have done his worst and been on his way.

Maybe we should start by identifying all the morons and idiots, then take steps to insure they don't breed? Unless we can do that , all these laws do is continue to penalize the rest of us so the do-gooders can feel that did something meaningful

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

That's pretty close to the end goal. Make sure those that enjoy freedom are locked in iron cells leaving everyone one else at the tender mercy of people like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

All nations with sever gun laws use these rules. They all have dictates on how you secure your firearms. It is called Gun Control.:(

16. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

A law that goes only that far does make some sense. It does not require that your guns be locked up all the time. Rather, it requires that I put my mind to the circumstances and take some reasonable care to look out for my neighbours. That is as it should be, IMHO.

If I have a juvenile drug-smoking, lippy delinquent living in my house (as IF!) then I guess maybe my guns should be locked down. The thing is, I don't and my kids were taught the rules of safe handling of a firearm and how to shoot about the same time they learned to peddle without training wheels. I therefore resent some bureaucrat laying down the law with me telling me when and how I need to secure my guns. I qualified as a firearm safety instructor when most of those bureaucrats were still crapping yellow.

We used to have a simple law up here - it was a misdemeanour to store your guns carelessly....that's it. The circumstances needed to be weighed out to decided if I had done anything wrong. It worked reasonably well. Hanging a rifle in the rear window of my pickup did not meet the "careless storage" test. Now, we have detailed specs prescribed by obnoxious liberal twits and I know of two guys who were surrounded by cops and charged because they stopped at a store and left a deer rifle visible inside their locked vehicle while they went in to buy something. These storage laws are easily sold to naive city dwellers with good intentions but, in the end, will sweep up a lot of good folks and accomplish absolutely nothing in the way of public safety. That's been the case up here, anyway. I know a fellow who studied the beejezus out of our gun control laws, including our lengthy storage laws, and the net effect on our homicide rate over decades has been zilch. Zero. Nada. A lot of good gun owners have criminal records and/or lost their guns over it, though.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  17. Axxe55

i think most responsible gun owners err on the side of caution and practice safe gun keeping habits to begin with. some have children, some don't but most of us have invested quite a bit of money in our guns and we would like to keep them out of the hands of those they don't belong to in the first place.

responsible gun owners don't need someone dictating rules or policy on how to secure their firearms, and we damn sure don't need someone passing a law telling us how we should do it. besides, there are already laws in place that make parents liable for the actions of their children to begin with. maybe they just need to enforce these laws to begin with, instead of making up more ineffective ones that are not going to stop or deter bad things from happening in the first place.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

So true Axx. These Liberal programs are always about saving the children. If you are so concerned about your child's playmate ask about other more risky thinks. Is there Anti-Freeze or gasoline stored in the garage? Will they be using a power mower while your child is present. We have not had a curious child killed with an unsecured firearm.
    We did have child killed by a power mower. The mower blade threw a wire coat hanger which pierced the victims throat.

19. Axxe55

and what about swimming pools? the meds in medicine cabinets? the cleaning chemicals under the kitchen sink and in the garage?

IMO, i think guns are one of the least things we need to concern ourselves with in what is killing children.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Democrats do not have a war on Medicine Cabinets. "Yet".