Arisaka

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Justen.223, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

Can any one tell me much about this rifle? What is it worth? I know it's worth the cordless drill that I traded it for. But aside from that. How old do you suspect it is? It's a Arisaka type 38, 6.5x 50 (6.5jap). After a lot of research and looking at other Type 38's online, I come to realize that this one has obviously been re-worked. It still has the mum insignia intact and all the numbers are still visable and quit clear. After around 50 rounds (by my own hands and who knows how many rounds prior to me) still groups < 1.25" @ 100yrds. The rifling still in good shape and shows no obvious signs of abuse and/or neglect.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    DSCF4003.jpg

DSCF4008.jpg

DSCF4011.jpg

DSCF4005.jpg

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's trash, you could get really hurt. Send it to me. :cool:

3. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

A 6.5 is a great caliber, even in Jap. You have a nice rifle. I also have one, but it's completely original, right down to the mum,etc. Dad brought it home from the jungles of Burma during the Second World War.Again, good looking gun..

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice stick Justen. [​IMG]

Besides, no one says "I need more drills!"

5. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

its sporterized

whats the name on the butt.Its worth whatever some one wants to pay.its not colectable.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Mum intact or not, It is a $150.00 rifle max. Nice looking shooter, but still an altered rifle. If it were not drilled and tapped for a scope, the action may have been worth more. Good hog gun!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  7. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If it was all original with mum intact it would be worth more than $150. But they are good shooters and known to be strong actions. I too have one that was converted into a 6.5x57mm Shoots good enough for 100 maybe 200 yard shots on deer.

9. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

Justen..!! You've got my rifle:eek: (lol) I swear I have the same rifle at home in one of my lockers right now.

In my opinion, you've got a very nice rifle there. If it were all original with the mum, it obviously would be worth more. I have seen them go for $400 or more for all original condition. The coolest thing about these Jap rifles though is that they are supposed to have the strongest actions of any rifles that were out there during its time and perhaps even by todays standards.

There were tests run in the states to see what it would take to get one of these rifles to fail and even firing into a blocked barrel, the action showed no signs of failing. Even the "last ditch" rifles are great actions to build off of.

You've got a keeper and a darn nice looking hunting rifle. 6.5 Japanese was the original caliber for the type 38. the other was 7.7 Japanese.

Cheers;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  10. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Hatcher would disagree. He considered the M1 action the strongest military action for it's day.

11. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Oh and to the OP, Justen.223, you shouldn't be smoking around your reloading bench.....:eek:

12. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

I believe it was the NRA that ran the tests.. But in any case, Just quoting what I'd heard and read.

Cheers:)

13. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

I don't see any powder, primers, or anything to indicate Justen was reloading when that picture was taken. all you have are a few empty cases and some reloading blocks. The bench looks very clean and organized in fact.

14. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

I know that you wouldn't believe me but I had sat my my smokes and ashtray down while I snapped the pics. That's my #1 rule at manland...all who enters shall not be smoking while the powder is present...and bring over lots of cash.

15. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

It was prety obvious to me that you run a tight ship ;)

16. bcl32

bcl32 New Member

Had a gunshop selling theseabout a year ago, original condition. They were filthy dirty and well used. Sold them for $100.00 each. Back around 1962 you could buy them sporterised for $59.00 from Mont. Wards, I bought one in 30-06, my first big game rifle. My dad also brought one back from Burma. Every kid in the neighborhood had either a Jap or Mauser, played cowboys and indians with them. I lost mine playing as many others did.

17. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

LOL...Hard to believe kids running around playing with the real thing for cowboys and indians... Differnet times and different place. Anywho, welcome to FTF. You need to go to the front end and tell us a bit about yourself in the "introductions" thread... ;)

Cheers:)

18. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

i did...six months ago

19. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

Naw .. that was for bcl32 :)

20. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member