Arisaka

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Justen.223, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

I recently acquired a arisaka rifle and not knowing much about these long guns, I took it to a local gunsmith who poured some gel into the chamber and once it hardened spec it out. He gave me a brief history on them and told me the caliber of this particular rifle was 6.5x50. So like a kid with a new toy, I can’t wait to field test it but first it’s off to the sport shop I go for a box of ammo. Strangely enough, no one at the sport shop had ever heard of a 6.5x50. Only 6.5x55, 6.5 Swedish, etc. So I decided to research this myself as much as possible online but end up more confused than what I started. On a few forums that I came across one guy says that the 6.5x50 is the same as 6.5 Jap. Sounds likely to me, after all, arisaka is Japanese. Another states that a standard .264 win is the same and yet another fellow claims that it’s a .256 cal. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

That ain't surprising. Sporting good stores don't have the most knowledgeable clerks at the gun counter..... ;)

But 6.5 Japanese is what your gun should fire. You can find it at ammo websites and maybe a local gun show. There is also a 7.5 Japanese, they're not the same. One chambered for one can't fire the other.

3. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Many firearms have cartridges that go by different names but are actually the same. The 6.5 Jap is the same as the 6.5x50. The 6.5 is bullet diameter and the 50 is case lenght both in millameters. Bullet diameter in inches is .263 to .264". Hope this helps

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I too own an araskia rifle. Mine is a differnet caliber. But close. The 6.5x50mm is the 6.5jap. It is not however s 264 win mag that is close to a 300 win mag necked down to 6.5mm bullet great cartridge but not yours. and no the 256 is not youras either.

You can order ammo from midwayusa.com I believe.

They are not the most accurate rifles out there but they are strong. Seen a test where a guy packed so much Bullseye powder into the case that it was starting to push the bullet out. It took some wacks with a hammer to get the bolt open but the action was all intact. Now that is TOUGH. mine shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yards on a good day most days it is 2 to 2.5" with peep sights (That I really hate).

5. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

thank you guys, this really helps me alot. Can't wait to try it out.
    Again Thank you.

6. K.O.W.

K.O.W. New Member

I have rebarreled Arisaka 38. The barrel is heavy with thight chamber cal. 308Win. It is now very accurate rifle. The scope mount is Redfield mod. "Remington 788" I think.

7. PADutchman

PADutchman New Member

Justen,

Just a word about the Arasaka Type 38 rifle. They have a very liberal chamber dimension. The possibility is highly likely that when you fire a round and eject the empty you will notice that the empty will have a slight bulge in it near the case head. After a lot of research with fellow mil-surp collectors specializing in the Arasaka I found that they almost all do that and it is normal. If you handload simply neck size only as working the brass back and forth to spec will weaken the brass and you won't get a lot or reloads out of it. They are fun to shoot. Good luck!

8. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

arasaka

I have two 6.5 and they dont bulge the cases.Hornady and Norma make the rds.
    That is 7.7 X 58 or 303 cal not case..312.I have 5 of those.I have found that 7.7 norma bulges,no doubt they use 8 mm cases.I make 6.5 from 35 rem but grafs has 6.5 new cases.Privi Partisian brand. :rolleyes:

9. 1hole

1hole New Member

"Another states that a standard .264 win is the same"

That's great, but quite harmless error. You couldn't get a "standard .264 Win." to enter the chamber!

The Japs sorta shot themselves in the foot with their small arms ammunition. They had so many rifle cartridges the troops in combat often found themselves with lots of ammo for guns they didn't have!

Not only is that Jap 6.5x50 ammo going to be hard to find, if it's possible at all, even finding reloading dies for it will be difficult. You likely have a wall-hanger.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  10. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

I also have a 6.5 jap. It's a nice shooter, but the problem I face is if you don't reload your own, the price for 20 rds can be expensive. I saw some at a gun show, $30 bucks for 20. I left it there.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

A 264 win is a belted magnum cartridge. It will not chamber in a 6.5x50 chamber.

The Japs sorta shot themselves in the foot with their small arms ammunition. They had so many rifle cartridges the troops in combat often found themselves with lots of ammo for guns they didn't have!

Reloading dies are made by
    Hornady: MidwayUSA - Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka

Lee: MidwayUSA - Lee Pacesetter 2-Die Set 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka

Redding: MidwayUSA - Redding 2-Die Set 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka

Brass by Norma: MidwayUSA - Norma Brass 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka

Ammo: Ammunition - Shop Premium & Discount Ammunition at MidwayUSA

12. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

6.5 jap

I buy my brass from Grafs,it has gone up but was $40ish for 100.the japs did not shoot themselves in the foot.the 6.5 cal was quite popular whe the japs made there rifles in early 1900.they found it was not doing as well so made the 7.7.and those were the two cart.remember we had the 30/06 and the 30 carbine.and they had one pistol sub gun cart , and we had several.
    :eek::rolleyes:

13. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

you are right about the dies... i contacted rcbs on that regard and was told they do make them, but they are special order dies and cost are $149.00

14. imhatz

imhatz New Member

Arisaka ??

I too recently got an Arisaka....problem is the guy said i was a 7.7
    I try to chamber 7.7 the case will not go all the way in and seat.
    I put the 7.7 bullet at the end of the barrel ...it will go down 2/3rds

If I put a 6.5 carc in the chamber (bolt out) it will seat all the way down the case

The 6.5x52 bullet is real sloppy at the end of the barrel ...it will go all the way down to the neck ???//

Mark

15. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Well the very first place I checked (Graf And Sons) had 3 different manufacturer dies sets for 6.5 Jap. They also had 5 different brands of ammo. That was so easy I stopped looking.:p

16. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

You can find 6.5 x 50 (6.5 Japanese) from both Norma and Hornady (made by Privi Partisan) at several on-line suppliers.

The RCBS dies are very expensive, I bought a set of Lee dies, and then a Hornady neck sizing die (my Type 38 has chamber issues).

The most common Arisakas are the Type 38 (6.5 Jap) and the Type 99 (7.7 Jap). There is a Type 30, which was a late 1890's pedecsessor to the Type-38, and a Type 44, which is a carbine version of the Type 38.

For information on your Arisaka, check out:

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II for identification markings

17. imhatz

imhatz New Member

thanks guys not sure i understand yet....if I get 6.5x50 jap will the bullet be larger than a carc 6.5....i know that the case is different but the 6.5 carc is 6.5x52...and it is real sloppy at the end of the barrel.....won't a 6.5x50 jap be even sloppier ?

18. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

The 6.5 x 50 Japanese is not the same as the 6.5 Caracano. The 6.5 Jap uses a .264 diameter bullet, the Caracano uses a slightly larger bullet due to its unique rifling.

The 6.5 x 50 Japanese cartridge was never chambered in any commercial rifle. It was ONLY used by the Japaense military.

Take your Arisaka to a competent gunsmith and have him gauge the barrel and cast the chamber. Many Arisaka's were GI "bring homes" during/after the second world war. Many were re-barreled or re-chambered for more (then) commercially available ammo. The very first centerfire rifle I ever shot was my cousin's Arisaka that had been sporterized and re-chambered for .257 Roberts.

Go to the webstes I had posted earlier. Interpret the Japanese kanji markings on the top of the receiver, that will confirm what model you have. With good markings you should also be able to tell when it was manufactured (within a range of years). If you see a "0 0" stamped ahead of the serial number that means that the rifle was designated "for school use ony". This means that for some reason the rifle was not up to spec for combat service - Unfortunately, I learned that tid-bit of information the hard way.

Be aware that the Type 38 (assuming you do have a 6.5 x 50) was first manufactured in 1905 and up through the early 1940's. Your rifle may have had CONSIDERABLE use, and the barrel may be "shot-out". Also some Arisakas have "chamber issues". Mine has excessive head space problems and if you are not a reloader this may not be satisfactory for you. Again, take it to a competent gunsmith to be sure you know what you have.

19. imhatz

imhatz New Member

okay...thanks the serial number is 012433 ....the receiver has 2 gas vent holes...from research I belive that would mean 6.5mm....a 6.5 mm bullet is real sloppy in the barrel when lowered in at the end of the barrel. when I take a 7.7x58 arisaka load ...i purchased 2 boxes online....the cartridge will load into the chamber about 2/3rds..( i remove bolt and slide it in). it will not seat it gets stuck...when I take the 7.7x58 and slide it in at the end of the barrel it is tight down to about the last 1/4 of the bullet ahead of the case. I purchased the gun online and it is a sporter and listed as a 7.7.....so does that mean that the guy put a 7.7 barrel on a 6.5 receiver...can that be...
    i can go off line with someone and send pics imhatz@aol.com

20. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

ihatz - PM sent.