Arisaka Type II Paratrooper Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by thefirearmman, Sep 17, 2011.

1. thefirearmman

thefirearmman New Member

We have an Arisaka Type II Paratrooper rifle, which was used by the japanese during WWII.

These rifles were manufactured between 1943 and 1945, when Arisaka discontinued all their rifles after WWII.

There were only around 22,000 of these made, making this somewhat a rare find.

The design of the Type II is based off of the Arisaka Type 99, a rifle that produced around 3.5 million units.

The only notable difference is the stock that comes apart, seeing as it's a paratrooper rifle. The bolt is also slightly different.

Needless to say, a good majority of these were likely destroyed after the war, with the exception of some that were brought home by the American soldiers.

Out of all the arsenals that manufactured Arisaka's, Nagoya Arsenal was the only one that manufactured the Type II.

I have some pictures of this rifle, so feel free to check them out.

I consider my family very fortunate to have such a piece of history.

Attached Files:

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Are Arisakas good shooters? And please explain just what the heck those wings are on the rear sight. Are those for getting proper lead on a freaking airplane or something?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Arisakas could be very good shooters- one of the strongest actions made, and yes, those wings are for leading aircraft in flight.

4. thefirearmman

thefirearmman New Member

The aircraft wings are used to shoot down enemy aircraft. The numbers resemble hundreds of knots. They get an idea of how fast the enemy is moving, aim, and hope to hit it.

5. thefirearmman

thefirearmman New Member

The Arisaka is a very good shooter in my opinion.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Nice !!!!!!!!!!

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The Arisaka is one of my favorite guns.... Does it have the "Mum"?

8. thefirearmman

thefirearmman New Member

Trez,

Unfortunately, the mum is not intact. When it was surrendered, they grounded it off. It does, however, have the original cleaning rod. The dust cover and the monopod is missing as well. The stock is in exceptional condition compared to other Type II's I've seen.

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Think you could post a pic of the stock apart? I would like to see that.

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

That would be awsome!!! :D

11. thefirearmman

thefirearmman New Member

The rifle is at my other house right now, however, I found a picture of the stock apart. Check it out.

Attached Files:

• jap.jpg
      jap.jpg
      File size:
      60.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  12. Garadex

Garadex New Member

That is awesome :D. Thank you.

13. thefirearmman

thefirearmman New Member

Yeah, no problem. I'm glad you like it. This rifle is hands down my favorite firearm. Anything else you would like to know about it, let me know.

14. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Well if for some crazy reason you actually want to get rid of it I'll be very glad to take it. (Although I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to keep it)

15. thefirearmman

thefirearmman New Member

Thanks but I will definitely be keeping this for as long as I live. Another picture for you. The receiver.

Attached Files:

16. thefirearmman

thefirearmman New Member

17. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Shame about the mum.... So, do you ever go shoot it?

18. thefirearmman

thefirearmman New Member

I take it out once a month and shoot it. The ammo is a bit expensive, so I'm going to start reloading the ammo for it.