Firearms Talk banner

arisaka type 99

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  99zulu 
#1 · (Edited)
My grandfather passed away yesterday. We were very close. He taught me to box, and to work hard, and to be a fighter. He led an incredible life, and will be missed.
He left me 5 rifles, 2 shotguns, and a pistol. Among the rifles was this type 99 arisaka. I've done a little bit of research on it, and have found that its one of the earlier models. I believe that it dates somewhere around 1939.

Any information would be appreciated as I know very little about the weapon. Mostly I thought that you guys would be interested in it.

Wood Floor Flooring Tints and shades Hardwood

Office supplies Metal Writing instrument accessory Natural material Cylinder

Brown Wood Air gun Shotgun Trigger

Wood Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Shotgun Air gun

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry to hear about his passing. I was close with my Grandad also. I started learning from him when I was 12 or 13 about reloading, woodworking, gardening, etc. I've shot a lot of surplus rifles but have never shot or even seen an Arisaka. (And I was born in Japan.) My dad brought back a large rising sun flag from fighting on Guadalcanal. He let a bar in Louisville display it, not sure if they still have it or not. Like you said, I've heard many or most of the chrysanthemum marks were removed.

#6 ·
The Type 99 takes 7.7x58 Japanese

Yours is a early model, as it has the Anti-Aircraft wings, do you know if theres a dust cover or monopod floating around somewhere? They make the rifle more valuable as they were thrown away by returning US troops. The Mum is a indication that is a battlefield pickup and not a surrendered rifle.

#7 ·
Trez nailed it. Rifles captured in combat- intact mum. Surrendered at war's end, ground off.

Some info on the 99, including assembly/disassembly.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/arisaka/index.asp

As said- should be caliber 7.7 Arisaka, aka 7.7 Jap. No subsitutes, please. If there is ANY doubt that the rifle may have been rechambered, take it to a gunsmith. Have him use Cerro-Safe and make a chamber casting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.