Arisaka Thread

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Trez, May 24, 2012.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Hey, why should the Mosin guys have all the fun?... :p Show off those "Jap" rifles! Bonzai!!! :D

Heres what I have so far...
    Type 38 Long Rifle, and im usually not interested in Arisakas with the "Mum" ground, but this one had all the accessories, Cleaning rod, Dust cover, and even the sling! It looks to be school rifle with the markings, but has a really nice bore and good rifling, and the proof marks service rifles have. Im guessing it was a school rifle that might of been returned to service? Its not a matching # but all the numbers are from only two rifles, and the 2 non-matching numbers are stamped on the bottom of the receiver, along with (what im guessing) is a two digit inspector number on all the parts.

Ive heard school rifles can be unsafe to shoot, but those are the smoothbore ones right? This one should be safe, shouldnt it?

Type 38 Carbine, It still has the Mum. I need to get a stock for it but are hard to find and expensive.. Im thinking I might just get a repro one from Numrich... Everything matches, but the bolt and it has all the armorer marks, So Im sure it was refurbished by the Japanese military..

Type 99, Still has the Mum and is 100% matching (except for whats missing, Dust cover and monopod) It is not a "last ditch" and has the Anti-Aircraft sights..

Type 2 " Paratrooper, It really sucks I only have half!! :( The Mums ground but its all matching.... Nobody happens to have a barrel half to a type 2 lying around do they? ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

More Pics!! T38 Carbine, T99, T2 Half..

Attached Files:

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'd love an Arisaka, but so far all I can find are ones that look like they have been dragged through a swamp (and I mean literally dragged), and beat to hell. I usually see them go for $300-$400. I'd love to find some that looked as nice as yours for that price.

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

A "Bonsai" is a type of a tree. I think the word you're looking for is "banzai".

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Sorry.. thats what the spell check told me to fix it to... :eek:

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

You don't need to be sorry it's an honest mistake, and it' not like anybody died.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Finally got my Type 38 Carbine fixed!!! Yea!! Cant wait to shoot both the T38's!! :D

Attached Files:

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

New T99!!

My new T99... Its a Kokura Arsenal 24th series, all matching with the "Mum", even got the bayonet with it. :) A little sad it doesnt have the AA sights, but it does have the chrome lined barrel and is a great shooter; I couldnt pass it up...

According to what ive read its a "Simplified T99".. Tthat this was the second to last series from this arsenal, the only series of "simplified T99"s, as in the next and last series were the "Substitute" (or last ditch?) rifles.

The bayonet is a Mukden, and came with the frog... I read that the Mukden rifles are rare (Only about 3,000?), are the bayonets any rarer than others?

Attached Files:

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Finally got bayonets for all of them!!
    Hey... The T38 doesnt fit in the pic anymore.... :( :p

Attached Files:

10. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

@Trez,

I have been eyeballin one of these for a few months now at the shop near my house. Was not sure if I wanted one or not. Now, looking at the pics posted here I have decided to get at least one for my WWII collection.

Can you provide some details about them?

What I am looking for is: What type of protectant that is normally on them, I.E. Linseed Oil, Lacquer?
    What should I look for when buying on?
    What accessories comes with them, if any?
    And anything else that you would think that would be helpful.

Thanks!

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

What kind do you want a Type 38 or 99?
    The earlier T38 is in 6.5x50, and available as a long rifle, 2 carbines (one has a attached bayonet, the Type 44)
    Theres the Type 99 in 7.7x58, in long and short rifles.. The long ones are kinda rare, the production was dropped in favor for the shorter rifle, which became the "standard"
    There are differences in T99's.. The early ones have a dust cover, monopod, and Anti-aircraft sights. (Most are missing the dust cover and monopod, they were noisy and rattled) Later ones, known as "simplified" rifles are lacking parts that were "unnecessary" the A-A sight arms, dust covers, and monopods (but still have the mount) The last of the T99's are the "substitute" ("Last ditch") rifles, they were just being made as fast as they could, and are extremely crude. (Makes a Mosin look like a Weatherby.. :p ) Most have unfinished metal, visible welds, just a fixed rear sight, no dust cover, no monopod mount, wooden buttplates, etc..... There is a big debate to if the "last ditch" are safe to fire or not.. I dont know, I stay away from those just because of how crude they are...

The Arisaka family of rifles are one of the strongest mil-surps out there. Look for the same things as any other mil-surp.. Make sure its not a smoothbore trainer..
    As far as collectibility, matching numbers are more desired than the "mum" I personally try to find "mums" because its more likely a battlefield pickup. The Mum was defaced by the Japanese solders before they surrendered or by American ones after they were captured..

I think the stock is finished with Uragshi (sp? :confused: )
    What ever they come with is a bonus... Slings, bayonet frogs, cleaning rods, and dust covers are the hardest things to find.. Seems most of the G.I's just threw all stuff away when they brought the rifle back..

12. texaswoodworker

Trez, If I'm ever in Arizona, your going to have to show me where you keep finding those Arisakas. All the one's I can find look like they have been drug through a swamp, and used as a hammer. I can never find them cheap like you either. :(

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I paid a little more than I wanted to on this one ($400), but it was so nice and came with the bayonet & frog..

I might show you where I get them.. Maybe.... :p

If you're interested in a project I might have a Type 38 carbine.. I havent decided what to do with it yet.. I have a barreled receiver, I think its too nice to part out, but it needs a bolt and stock...

14. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

All of these choices!!!! :eek:

I will have to look again at the one in the store that I shop at and see which model it is.

Either way, you have given me some good info for making a decision.

Thanks! :D

15. texaswoodworker

I have a few projects I need to finish now, but maybe next year I could do that if you decide to sell. How much are you wanting?

16. marysdad

marysdad New Member

Nice example of the Kokura 24th series. The evolution (or devolution if you prefer) from the Type 99 standard to subsititute-standard was a progressive thing. The Kokura 25th series was much cruder than the 24th. This photo comparison I did some time back shows a very early (Nagoya 3rd series) and a Kokura 25th series. Both are excellent, matching, unmessed with examples, save for ground mums. It gives a good idea just how far south things had gone by War's end.

The original stock finish was Urushi, which is made from the sap of a sumac tree native to Japan. If you are going to disturb the finish, wear protection in case your skin is sensitive to sumac.