Arisaka 38, Unknown Further

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by blackdouglas, Aug 24, 2012.

1. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

I recently inherited an Arisaka Type 38. Past that, that is all I know. It never had the mum, which I found odd. It is very old, from what I can tell. The serial is worn, but I think it's 6386. The Arsenal mark is something I've not been able to find either. It looks like a box missing the right wall with either a circle or a half-moon with the horns facing up. Everything appears to match, but it's seen better days. Anybody got any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... Do you know if its ever been shot? It could be a trainer, meant to fire blanks. Is there any rifling in the bore?

very strange that there is no mum or school marking.... :confused:

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

5. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

No, it's a Jinsen type 38, made somewhere between '39 and '40. Turns out there's a very, very faded star on it. If you look in the second picture next to the 6, it's barely, BARELY visible.

6. -06

-06 New Member

5 or 7 mm? Probably a "Jap 25". My old hunting bud has one that is still very accurate. His dad brought it back from the Pacific (WWII).

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You, sir, are hereby nominated for the Eagle Eye Award! That star was hard to pick up, even with magnification cranked up. Good job!

8. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

LOL! I wish I could take the credit, but a friend of mine spotted it first. Took us looking at the picture though. The lighting made it easier to spot.