Ares Armor

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by clr8ter, Jan 31, 2013.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So a few weeks ago, I ordered an 80% lower from Ares Armor. Of course, everything is sold out, fine, I'lll wait. BUT, they charged my CC right away! I thought this was generally considered unacceptable. No update on their website about when anything will be available, and no replies to my 2 E-mails. NOT confidence-inspiring. I have no issue waiting, but need to hear from them about why the charge so early. Anyone have any experience with them? I'd hate to complain to my CC company, get my money back, and loose the lower.......

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do business with a company that charged my cc and then back ordered the merchandise.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Mmmmm, that's what I'm thinking. Although, I knew it was backordered before I ordered it. Just a question of them charging it too soon.

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ares armor is about 1 hour drive from here. I've purchased more than a few things from them. Dimitri is a real nice guy and I've spent a bit of time swapping stories with him. I've had nothing but great experiences with them and they have a pretty rep on calguns.net. But they are a small shop. Never seen more than 3 people working there at any given time.

As for the 80% lowers, I haven't purchased any from him but I've seen a lot of threads concerning their dilemma on calguns. Apparent they just got slammed but crazy amounts of orders and then got sucker punched with shipment delays. Since you used your credit card I'd honestly just start a chargeback with them if you are really worried. If you are not, and can wait a bit, just wait it out, they will make good.

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Ah, well that makes me feel a little better. Again, it's not about the waiting, or even the $100, really. I suppose I could wait it out, and at some point in the future, get my money back if it goes to hell. I wonder how long one can wait to do that? Have to call the CC people today.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Today I finally got around to E-mailing them to cancel that order. I got tired of waiting, and they don't seem to want to keep in touch about their progress. Before either one of us forgot, you know?
    I am very annoyed, I ordered this thing at the beginning of the year, and have only got 1 unsolicited E-mail from them to try to keep me up to date. I understand it's hard nowadays with people ordering so much stuff, but come on! You want to take my order, and charge me WHEN IT SHIPS, fine, take all the time you want. Otherwise, ship me my crap, or keep me very in the loop. To their credit, they got back to me today already. I guess they're working Sundays.....

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get your everything back asap. Can't believe you're still waiting on an order from january.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'm betting something fell through the cracks. Oh well. I have already bought a complete AR, and don't want to go through the hassle of machining a lower right now, anyway. Maybe if in the future they're available right then.........

9. tCan

tCan Active Member

Good excuse to buy a drill press though...

10. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I ordered a 3 pack of troy battle mags from them several months ago, and just like you I've had one unsolicited email from them saying they are still on backorder. I'm past loosing my patience on these. Every other supplier has received all mags back into stock and been selling for a month now. And they charged me immediately as well. It seems as if Ares is the only company that isn't getting any stock in, which makes me wonder what they really have "on order" vs what they were trying to get people to pay hysteria prices for and wait for the stuff to come back down before buying.

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Feel better. or they seem to be nice folks has nothing to do with proper business practice. I would call and cancel the order. Contact your credit card company and tell them you do not want your card charged. Tell them the facts. This is BS!

12. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i have an employee and a another friend that are both experincing the same issue,they send emails to a guy named mike to get answers.

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yup. Mike is the guy that refunded my order. If I ever end up doing an 80% lower, though, I will be using a milling machine at work.....NOT a drill press.

14. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

yah ive only used a lathe never tried a drill press.

15. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Guys, here is the scoop. My best friend lives in Utah and ordered 5 of then in December. They have been telling him soon, soon,soon, oh we're waiting on jigs....ect...ect. I live 45 minutes away from them. My friend is down for the week and we went in the store. They had shelves full of 80%ers. They were billet for $160, and not the forgings. We made them trade out the 5 forged for three billets and a $95 in gear off of the shelves. They claim they have 17,000 lowers coming in. I don't buy that! But I you want you lowers, call them and tell the to upgrade you to the billets.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  16. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

And while we were in there dealing with our back order , 4 customers came in to complain , and one canceled his order due to lack of communication alone. The kid working there was good guy but I think the entire company is lost in the sauce.

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, too late. I have little patience for that sort of horse crap......

18. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

Why would anyone expect a small shop to have any lowers in stock in the current political situation ? Even Cabalas and Gander Mountain were totally out of AR-15's for weeks on end, and they still have no ammunition.

Ares is probably at the mercy of their suppliers backorder list for un-machined raw lower forgings.

Exchange 80% lower for AR-15 magazine of any type, or AR-15 Bolt Carrier Group, and you find the exact same issues. I waited nearly 3 months for GI AR magazines from Brownell's, and for Pmags from Ruger and neither of them can be described as small shops.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  19. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

The difference is that Ares takes your money up front, and does not communicate with you for months.They know the damn climate! Why would they continue to take orders knowing that they are clueless about when hey will get it. Then their operation of selling jigs and having a shop for people to come mill gets shut down for being shady.... again! Their business practices are not ethical and I know of at least 10 people canceling their orders due to how they have been bent over and lied to. I get the climate when it comes to anything to do with weapons, but at least the reputable companies are not ignoring you for 6 months after they have taken your money!

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

^^^EXACTLY.

Now, currently, I know where to get AR's, & ammo and mags for them. LGS has AR"s coming in by the pallet. They also as of last Sunday had unlimited 5.56, albeit at 60 cents a round. I have also gotten AR mags at something like $15, at some point after this whole thing started.
    That is also part of the reason I cancelled. I bought an AR, so no need to build one, at least right now.....