Are you stocked up & satisfied with your ammo cache?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by StainlessSteel215, Jan 11, 2013.

1. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

I dont know if its smart to post an approx round count on a public forum in this current climate.....but Ill just say I have enough to feed my pistols for a while. A few ammo cans filled to the top in most popular calibers.

My question to you all is....even though I think that is plenty for personal storage....for now...every time I read a new article on guns and ammo shortages I get another feeling that this may be the last chance to OVERSTOCK for the future, before either 2 things happen:

1) Ammo prices will double, triple, etc
    2) Ammo production simply stops, due to over demand, government interference, etc. Who the hell knows what laws will pass over the next few months.

Do you guys have that same anxiety about buying more and more, just in case there is a full blown ammo shortage/stoppage?

I say this because my 2 local guns shops are drying up more and more each week. Supply isnt meeting demand and who knows how bad it will get.

2. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I feel the same way, at this point I don't feel like you could have "to much" ammo. Like you I have a few ammo cans full but maybe not so much in the calibers I'd like to have and those are the calibers it's getting hard to find of course.

3. pnolans

pnolans New Member

I'm not satisfied. I do however have more than I will likely ever need...

IF I don't shoot anymore at a target range. :cool:

Right now, when I find my ammo, and have the $$$ I buy some.
    I buy bullets and powder as well.
    Every payday, I buy SOMETHING.
    223, 22lr, 9mm, 270, 7mm.

4. StainlessSteel215

Thats a great point PNolan and I was just thikning about that....my monthly range trips may turn into bi-monthly range trips at this rate.

What I do now is just pick up 3-4 boxes of ammo at the range, and bring a box home to add to the stash. For now, its working, but prices are slowly climbing while supply is getting low

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Hoarding is a personality disorder. There is even a tv series about it.
    cottontop

6. StainlessSteel215

Thanks for the useless post cotton....if you consider a few small ammo cans filled up, neatly tucked away in a metal storage shelf in my basement "hoarding" then I would like to see your doctorate of mental health ;)

Some folks on here have ammo caches that would blow your mind. And what some consider to be an adequate stockpile, others burn through in a month. We are in tough times...it cannot continue this way for long

7. therhino

therhino New Member

Happy enough. I only have a handful of boxes of each type of round I have guns that fire, and that's really plenty for me. I fire unpopular (Makarov) or out-of-favor (38SPL) rounds, so I don't tend to have to fight over ammo at the shop. 22LR is not in short supply up here liek I'm hearing it is in other places. I say that with my fingers crossed to ward off The Jinx, of course ;).
    I simply don't have the inclination or the desire to stockpile thousands upon thousands of rounds.

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I'm not worried about it. I don't think I've got that much time left anyway. But then again, crotchety groucy opinionated old farts with no friends (like me) sometimes tend to live a long time.
    cottontop

9. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Never really satisfied but I have alot of ammo on hand plus I reload. I have enough reloading supplies to restock once. Like you guys I think I may shoot very little centerfire and break out some of the 5000rds of rimfire for range trips in the near future. My LGS had a new shipment of .22lr and some wolf and mfs 223. I bought a new decapping pin, my old one is bent slightly.

10. pnolans

pnolans New Member

I'm not hoarding. I'm just buying whatever I can, when I can. And then burying it in my vault, underground.

Is that hoarding? Oh, I guess I do.

:cool:

11. orangello

orangello New Member

That's like asking if you have enough beer.

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I try to keep a thousand rounds on hand for the calibers I shoot the most of. If I start getting close to that I either buy, or adjust the amount or caliber of what I shoot. The only reason I keep a thousand rounds, is because I know that the NRA will take any chance to spread panic, and I want to have enough on hand to continue some level of training, till sanity returns.

The Olins of the world are not about to give up their civilian markets, as soon as the panic buying ends, the stocks will come back. (when they get the price where they want it) We had this same panic in 2008. When ever the "regulations" are settled, the supplies will come back and a lot of "stashes" will hit the secondary market. Will prices be higher? Sure will. We have shown what we are willing to pay, and the makers and sellers will take every dime they can get.

The supply and price issue is a SIW.

13. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Cheer up cottontop, you have friends here!!

14. davva360

davva360 New Member

I am not happy although I was able to snag some 9mm today. It is concerning when you see so many empty shelves.

I don't keep a ton of ammo stored but I do intend to gradually build it up whenever I see it. I feel like I can't go to a range again until I can at least replace what I shoot. I have more 22 than anything else right now.

Like others have said, I have plenty if I don't go to the range, but until supply stabilizes I feel like I should not go to the range unless I can at least replace what I shoot.

15. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I have a ammo can full of 22lr but I didn't buy it. I got lucky and got it all for Christmas. I got lucky cause all everyone has here is 22 shorts. But I'm affraid to go target shooting and use it all up and not being able to find any. My gun can shoot shorts so I might go buy them up for targets and save my 22lr.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ehhh- I'll be OK for a while......

ammo 2.jpg

17. StainlessSteel215

Haa! Reminds me of the final warehouse scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark

18. Ara

Ara New Member

Ammo is almost non existence in my area (Southern CA), particularly 9mm and 45acp

Hence, "hoarding" ammo is impossible!

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have enough to be OK until things get better. I learned my lesson in 2008/2009 when a LGS charged me $17 for 100 rounds of Super X 22 LR ammo. I haven't made another purchase from that shop since then.

20. Kemosabe

Kemosabe New Member

As of today I do not have enough. Once the mayhem started a week or so ago, it has been slim pickins. I spoke to my LGS Friday and told him I would be placing an order once he's back from the SHOT show this week. This and shopping online will be the best way to get what we need.