Are you rich?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Dec 14, 2010.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I just came across this article while reading news on the internet. I want to smack this woman upside the head for being a whiner. When so many of us debate whether we can afford an occasional meal out to the local steakhouse or even should I pay the gas or electric bill this month, this woman is lamenting the fact she doesn't have enough money! For me, rich is paying all the monthly obligations and having a little left over for fun. Something isn't right.

Wealthy Americans: How much money makes you rich? - chicagotribune.com

2. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

yeah i am rich my family is healthy i have a job albeit took a 1.75 hr cut i am going to be a gramps in 3+- weeks so if the baby is healthy daughter is good
    and momma is happy I AM RICH. there are people that have money but they are not rich. God is good to me all the time, so i will not worry about being (rich in the worlds eyes) As for me i am wealthy

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The problem with this 250k mark is that often the person who is making 250k is actually a business owner who is living off 50k and putting 200k back into his business.

kyle, I couldn't agree with you more.

4. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

momma has been with me since 1997 she has been with me since i came out of being homeless married 10yrs together 13 she stuck with me through all the hard times. i dont have any bio kids of my own, but i have 2 daughters that are mine. and i i would die for anyone of them, so in my mind they are mine..
    So for me to see the growth in me is priceless, and all the cash in the world
    could not compare

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

It's all relative to your situation.

I'm make good money but I'm not rich, but to a starving family, I may as well be Bill Gates.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Yunus is right on point. Everything is relative to be sure. Making 250K here in the boonies of SE GA would make you a wealthy person - in NYC you'd barely be making it. My oldest is a lawyer in NYC and has an impressive number on her W2 - but factor in 3K a month rent (1 BR apt), 200K in student loans, and the general cost of living in NYC - and I have more free income than she does...

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Many years ago when I was having a very difficult time financially my oldest son (he was about 10 at the time) asked me if we were rich. I told him, "Of course we are! We have good friends, a house to live in, a car that runs, a wonderful dog. We are very rich." He then said, "No, I mean money rich." I answered "We always have food, the lights go on when we flip the switch and the furnace pumps out hot air when it's cold out. Yes, we are rich." He just stared at me for a few moments then walked away. I never really answered his question, but in a way I did answer his question. :)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Money wise, not by a long shot. But I can go out for a steak once in a while.

Friends, Family, FTF, I am superbly super rich.

9. opaww

opaww New Member

I am rich because...
    1. I woke up this morning to find I was still alive.
    2. I gots a roof over my head.
    3. I have 4 fine grandchildren whom I love to no end.
    4. The nightmare of my ex-wife showing up on my door step wanting to come back was just a bad dream and not real.
    5. I live in the United States of America.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

$250k is living good in my area but it is not at the point of beyond rich. A 2 income college educated family working in DC will make $200k easy many times.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry- rant from C3 incoming-:mad:

I make good money. Nothing that Donald Trump would envy, but not minimum wage, either. That came about after a number of years of working 2 (or 3) jobs, taking every class I could in my field (most at my expense) and over time, being recognized as being a person at the higher end of competencies in my field.

Along the way, family had a lot a macaroni and cheese, scraped refrigerator, and jeans from a yard sale. We did OK, we paid our way. Our kids grew up healthy and strong- and working for, and earning much of what they wanted (not needed, WANTED).

Today, my lady and I have no debt, modest savings and investments, and if I need to pay the plumber (weekend before last) I can write him a check. To some people, that makes me "wealthy", and I should "pay my fair share". Let's look at that last term for a moment, shall we?

What does that mean? It means that someone thinks THEY have a right to what I worked for. But that I don't. OK- IF I accept that, what do I get for my "fair share"? When it snows, does the road to my house get plowed first? If I am paying more than you, it would seem to be fair to me. When I go to DMV to renew my license, do I get to go to the head of the line? Hey- I'm paying these folks twice what you are! Guess that means the 55 mph speed limit for you is really 110 for me, huh? In an emergency, I get a priority response from the fire department- you'll just have to wait- I paid my "fair share" of the fire truck, y'know. I suppose that when I vote, MY vote should count for more than yours, huh? I am paying more to run the local state and Federal gummint that you. I mean, it's only fair.

OK- rant over, but folks that whine about others should be pelted. I will contribute the fruit for the pelting.

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Early Retirement.....

I ain't completly under the water yet, The Gumbment hasn't taken away my 401k To date. Every one in the family's healthy, everything I have is paid for including my death. If I want a change in meals I'll shoot out the back door for tree rats or pull catfish out the bayou in the front yard. And don't forget about them Big La. Blue Crabs..... :eek::D

13. schwefel

schwefel New Member

This may be slight tangent, but I see this as being more a post on taxes than specificaly on income.

Personally, I would like to see a flat tax rate. EVERYONE pays Y% on ALL income above X. (If you make below X, you do not pay tax.) It is across th board, on everyone.

I cannot say what X should be, that is not my area of expertise, but it would simplify the tax code significantly. If you donate to charity, that would increase your X by the amount donated and that is it.

All you need are thee lines on the tax return:

1. How much did you make?
    2. How much did you donate to charity?
    3. Amount of tax (1 - (X + 2))*Y

14. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Nice ideas in theory but who gets to determine X and how would that be "fair"?

15. Yunus

Yunus New Member

How much did you make is the question that turns tax returns into books.

16. willshoum

willshoum New Member

The Rich and taxes......

Why have you been, Why DO YOU THINK WE'RE NOT ALL RICH!!!!!! And Ossamy will get his way even if it means thru the back Door.:eek: Yes I guess you can say I'm rich, but only on paper.:(

17. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Being one of God's kids: priceless

Having a wife to love and who loves me: priceless

Having friends to trust and love: priceless

Material wealth and possessions: not so much

Three out of four ain't bad. ;)

18. freefall

freefall New Member

Ann Coulter says, "According to Democrats, you're rich if you own a lunch-box". So I qualify.:rolleyes:

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

post of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Well guys I've been living in the Ukraine for the last 6 weeks and even the poor people in the U.S. have it made compared to these people. I won't be back home for a few more months but thank God for America. Can't wait to get home.