Are You Old Enough to Remember Iver Johnson?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by HankStone, Jun 13, 2013.

1. HankStone

HankStone New Member

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Got him onea them Owl's Head pistols, he does! :D

Not only do I remember them, I HAVE a few of the topbreaks.

The most knowledgable man I ever knew on those gun was Mr. William Goforth. Shortly before they were to publish the first compiled guide to the different models and histories, Mr. Goforth died unexpectedly. Publisher was convinced to go ahead and print, and i got a copy of his book.

Same company also made the US Revolver Company guns.

3. fortinsj

fortinsj New Member

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

5. c3shooter

Hey now! I never carried a pistol when I was in grade school. Had me a Barlow pocket knife, and a brass Yale padlock hanging on a 3 ft long piece of leather bootlace.

Never know when you need to lock something up.....:D

6. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Tipping my hand Sir,I carried a Barlow and a Zip Gun in 22cal made from a car radio antenna,a small sharped door sliding door latch sharpened for rim fire,with NEWS paper rubber bands for striking the primer and bolt.,BANG!

That's when we moved from West Virginia back to the Bronx NY,now you all know me,I'm still the same Demon Kid!

7. HankStone

HankStone New Member

You Talking To Me---You Talking To Me,OK fugetaboutit the Sheriff likes me now,thinks I'm a crazy old man?

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Hank,

Yes Sir! I do remember the old Owls Head Iver Johnson pistols. I still have two of them at the present that belonged to my grandpa. He owned a small grocery in a small Indiana town and carried one when he went to the bank. And kept on hidden beside the cash register at the store in case of a robbery. Never had a robbery in town but grandpa was always prepared. He also carried one of them when he went fishing and coon hunting. I have both of them although I would almost be afraid to shoot either one! They are in 32 Cal. Once again Great Memories were made! I do get them out, clean them, handle them almost in his memory and put them away!

9. c3shooter

Actually, while they were not high dollar guns, they were a long way from junk. If the gun is not excessively worn or broken, it still should be safe to shoot. .32 S&W is still loaded as a light load.

You DO need to exercise some care with the .38 S&W models. Some of those were made for black powder .38s, and should not be shot with modern ammo.

General rule of thumb- if caliber is marked on side of bbl, is for modern ammo.

10. gvw3

gvw3 New Member

I have one in 38. It was made in 1924. It was my wifes grandfather issue gun from the city of chicago. I shoot it every so often. 38 S&W is not easy to find. Very bad trigger pull.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

My grandfather had an old .38 S&W "Owl Head". During the Great Depression defending live stock was a full time job. Grandad caught a thieve breaking a lock on his chicken house. The night visitor fired at him with a handgun putting an impressive hole in the smoke house. Grandad returned fire only hitting the big brass Yale lock.
    The shooting was no OK Corral. It did however provide 2 family hand me downs. An old Owl Head .38 and damaged Yale lock.:D

12. towboater

towboater Active Member

Yep, here is mine.
    US Revolver Company
    [​IMG]

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The U.S. Revolver Company was set up by I.J. to sell off parts left over when they went to the safety system. I.J. safety revolvers "Hammer the Hammer" transfer bar change over left piles of out dated receivers. I.J. wholesaled the U.S Revolvers with out transfer bars to use up the old parts.:)

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Are You Old Enough to Remember Iver Johnson?

Didn't he play for the lakers and ended up getting aides?

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Anna you are suffering from "Highway" fatigue. That old truck is wearing on you.:D
    Iver Johnson is still around with some very modern toys. This is their .45 ACP carbine. They also import a line of 1911s.:)

Attached Files:

16. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

About 1975 I bought a Uberti Cattleman, then imported by Iver Johnson. Included in the box was a catalog sheet of the then current made IJ revolvers and shotguns, and a neat booklet, with photos, outlining the history of Iver Johnson.

Bob Wright

17. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Yep,
    My Father had a Break Top in .38 S&W
    A S/S .410, sure wish it was in my safe today.
    I have, I think, This one.
    No, mine has adjustable sights.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  18. bargeahead

bargeahead New Member

My first new bicycle was a new Iver Johnson in 1889. I AM well preserved.

19. c3shooter

20. twoolddogs

twoolddogs New Member

Black powder Iver Johnson revolvers (first and second model, large and small frame) can be easily identified by having only 2 pins in the lower receiver.

The smokless powder, third model, has 4 pins in the lower receiver.