Are You NEW to Firearms? I have a question for you!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Are you a new member here?

Are you new to firearms in general?

Are you new to a specific platform of firearms ( like AR-15's, shotguns, defensive pistols, etc.)?

We would like to grow the firearms community and we would like to help educate those that might be new to the sport or new to a type of weapon.

I am soliciting ideas for new threads that might be of use to newer or inexperienced shooters.

What kind of a weapons thread would you like to see? What would help you in your information searching?

JD

2. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

This doesn't really answer your question directly, but have you considered a new to firearms sub forum? Or even a new to pistols, new to shotguns, etc sub-forum in their respective categories? A place where new shooters can post basic questions without fear of other members jumping down their throats? I know that many of the people here have been around guns all their lives, but I didn't grow up that way. I started shooting when I was 8 or 9 but I never became a "gun guy" until about three years ago so I remember what it's like trying to find information and it is tough to pick through some of the friendly bickering and ball busting to get to the important information.

3. V3ritas_A3quitas

V3ritas_A3quitas New Member

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

I think this is definitely a good idea. I've found out a lot about the AR platform just looking around on my own, but I think maybe something about what makes different parts better, like twist rate and such. Now that I think about it, I think an FAQ would be one of the better things to add. The questions can easily be compiled and the thread can be stickied.

I know I've asked you guys quite a few questions, and I think having something like that at the top of the sub-forums would be a great tool for people to use.

Let me know if you need any help.

V3

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'll pass it up the chain and see what the boss says. Good idea.

JD

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, that could be a very varying and wide range of a thread. Are you proposing a Q&A for multiple platforms? Like one for the AR alone, one for the AK alone, one for the Mini-14?? Because we have sub forums dedicated to those areas with a lot of that information in them.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think we should explain to folks why the grip angle of the 1911 is so magical. A lot of guns share it but few people know why it makes such a difference for most shooters.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Do we have anyone that can explain it, medically and scientifically??

I just know it's the best damn grip and trigger out there. :eek:

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The trigger is a whole other subject. I'm just a retired urologist but I could try to research it and make it sound like I know what I'm talking about.

9. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Spitty, I saw this very thing explained just recently. . . . . now if I can just remember where :confused:

10. V3ritas_A3quitas

Yeah I was thinking one for each platform. I definitely know there is a lot of information in the forums, but I feel the same questions get asked. A Q&A at the top would enable a majority of those questions to be answered. Anyways, just a thought I had.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

JD I think what they are looking for is a "safe house" where truly dumb questions* can be asked without ridicule. The following link is an example of basic questioning. It certainly was not a dumb question to the guy that asked it and common knowledge to many.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/45-26293/#post273225 << Click Here

If we scare (new) members away from asking for firearms information on the very basic level, some people will never advance in our hobby. And then there’s the safety issue. (grains vs grams of power in reloading)

I think each Sub-Forum, like Long Guns, could include a Q&A section for real basic information. This section should be restricted to noobies and mentors only. It would be enforced with an honor system and award violators with a five day time-out for first flame offence.

I think the more comfortable a member feels when asking questions, the faster they advance in our hobby. This could be a big draw for membership.

*Not all of us grew up with guns in the house. Hell, I was in Junior High before I found out not every house/family had guns or went hunting. (I found this out when a new friend came over and refused to eat rabbit with us??)

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

13. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

^^^ Hey! That's it! ^^^

Thanks Cane

14. V3ritas_A3quitas

Canebrake has the right idea. Not only would it be a good place for new members to look, but it would also cut down on the repetitive threads that pop up.

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I think there should be an M&P/SIGMA section.:D:eek:

16. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm all for it!

17. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

I like the idea, I'm a newb and I enjoy learning from the "dumb" questions. Also, being a newb I might have fair advice for another newb as I have just gone through the "what is the best handgun", and the "how do I buy on the internet". So I feel there is value in the newb to newb relationship, with mentor support.

18. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Hey JD, how about a section, maybe called Firearm Basics,or, Basic Instructions, where members can use their own guns, show how they are loaded, unloaded, cleared, broken down and cleaned, of course all illustrated with pictures. There is, I'm sure, quite a variety of firearms owned by the members here. We can explain about safety, sight alignment-sight picture-breath control, how to hold a pistol or rifle, like you said, for the folks that are NEW to the gun world. Make the posts you feel are good informational posts stickies so they would be easy to find. It might even benifit some experienced members, who knows. There is a plethera of info that could be stickied, just a thought.

19. opaww

opaww New Member

Well actualy there are no dumb or stupid questions as far as guns go. Not everyone was born with a government model .45 auto in their hands as they came out.

I don't mind giving my 2 cents worth, if I know the answer.

Also we may need a FAQ in legal sense many are asking questions about legal things related to firearms.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  20. ChuckD

ChuckD New Member

A FAQ would not be a bad idea. How about a new firearms or potential owner section so people can feel free to ask any question, no matter how basic?

CD