Are You Justified?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

You're driving along a fairly deserted road at night. You see the lights up ahead, a cop has someone pulled over.

As you get closer, you see some ground and pound going on. And the cop is recieving. He's alone, with no back up, and the guy doing the pounding is twice the cop's size.

You have your cell phone, and your trusty CCW.

What do you do?

Not what is the logical choice, what do you actually do?

2. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I hope an LEO can weigh in on this, because I gotta tell you, I'm doing what it takes to see the cop get home at the end of the shift. I don't know if that's prudent, but I know it's the right thing.

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

First I'd call 911 for assistance. Then pull the gun and order the perp to the ground. He'd have about ten seconds to comply before I put one in him.

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I'm thinking phone in one hand and piece in the other. I want 911 to record this as it goes down.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Call 911 tell them OFFICER DOWN give location and that you are going to subdue the BG and assist the police officer and that your name is Billy Ford and you have a CCW.

I would then while on phone order the guy to stop or I will shoot. If he doesn't stop I shoot him till he does. Then I assist the officer with first aid till back up and units arrive. I understand that they are more than likely going to pick me up and cuff and stuff me. I haven't got a problem with that. It is called controlling the scene. Once they figured out that I was the good guy more than likely I would taken out and un-cuffed.

6. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Here is what I would do. First dial 911, then I would do a flying,spinning super somersault-round house front kick to the front of the back of the bad guys head.
    Then I would realize that I'm not Chuck Norris and would dial 911, grab the shovel handle I have in the back of the jeep(used to prop up the hatch)and proceed to crack the guy about the head and neck, if that didn't stop him, I would step back and draw my weapon. Well depending on how bad off the officer was I might just draw on him first without trying to soften up his head. My goal would be to give the Officer the time to get control of the guy, if he was unable to, and the guy came at me, then all bets are off.
    Whenever I am traveling in my vehicle and see a LEO has someone pulled over, I allways slow way down and look to see if he is OK, my Father was a cop and I know that if he was making a solo stop and someone was getting the better of him, then I would want, no, expect, someone to jump in and help. Although a lot of the cops in my town are young tough guy pecker-heads, if they needed help then I would do whatever I could to help.
    DISCLAIMER: Remember I live in Jersey so there is no CCW.

7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

If it were me, I'd hope somebody would jump in there.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I strongly believe that if you have a weapon and you have chosen to carry it, you have an obligation to ( insert your cosmic force here - Fate, Karma, God )to help.

In the situation as described, I am not taking the time to call 911 first, because I do not know how much longer the cop has. Has s/he already been knocked cold? Will the person in control go for the officer's gun next?

The "Why" there is a civilian beating the hell out of a cop can certainly be debated. For all we know it could be one off duty cop and one on duty cop who are having a go at one another because one was sleeping with the other's wife.

What matters is one person in a uniform is getting their ass handed to them and based on how I was brought up, that is not allowed in my presence. The same would go for a grown up beating the hell out of a kid or a domestic situation.

I think back to the day when I was kid, about 1,000 years ago apparently based on where society is today, and if I told my old man that I saw a cop in trouble and didn't help, I am not sure if my old man would have beat me senseless or never spoke to me again. :(

Neither option would have been acceptable to me then and I can't say anything has changed. I would definitely get involved.

JD

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I've stated before on this forum that I have no great affection for LEO's. But i have before and will again come to the aid of an officer, or any person who I believe is being beat down unjustly. :cool:

I believe it to be the responsibility of those that can, to do ;)

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

First, call 911 and inform them you will be assisting a down officer, your location, name and that you have a CCW.

Second, come up behind the two, which both will undoubtedly be oblivious of my presence and strike one or several blows to BG, knocking him off the officer. Once I got his attention, then if necessary, pull my weapon and warn him, keep him at bay till the officer regains poseur to draw his own weapon and/or handcuff him, and regain control of the scene.

I carry an expandable baton in all my vehicles and bikes for such occasions or in cases of uneven odds, bladed weapons or no-firearm situations for backup in case I ever need to reach out and get someone's focused attention quickly and very painfully. I will draw my firearm in last resort. :cool:

Disclaimer: Expandable batons not legal for carry in all states. Your actions may vary.

Jack

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'm with call 911, put my headlights on the altercation going on, exit the vehicle phone in one hand and pistol in the other. I'd position myself so that I had a clear shot at the perp and fire one shot over the top of the struggling pair. I would order the dumb ass off the officer. If he even looks like he is going to throw another punch, I'd shoot him all the while having 911 on the phone.

If he gets off, and is responsive to my orders to get on his knees with his hands behind his head, I'd hold him at gunpoint until the officer told me to drop my point of aim.

12. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

^^^ That sounds like a good sensible levelheaded course of action, I like your style Dune :cool:

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you take too much time "thinking" about what "may" actually be happening, The officer will likely be dead or very seriously injured. Go with your belief and stick to it. It is all that matters. If your belief is the officer is being assaulted in a deadly manner, you have no choice. One or two the the BG's head.

Try to call 911 first but call eventually to go on the record as having called ASAP. Be prepared to prone out at the first sign of a backup unit. You do not want to become the victim of that officer's "belief" that you are the BG. You may initially take a couple of whacks, but there will be apologies after. (not to excuse the whacks, but officers are human).

14. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Officer Down!!

Use police radio to call for help. Pull your gun and fire warning shot. Then ask the guy why he's beating on the officer, If he say's that the officer has been doing his wife, I'll say have a nice day and go back to the car and say false alarm. If he needs help I'll be more than greatfull to shoot the purp for him. :eek::)

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^^ I agree Robo. I was saying that trying to figure out "why" the situation was happening wouldn't be a real pressing thing for me personally.

I don't care personally, what I do care about is that there is a person in uniform getting a beatdown. The same would hold true if some random civilian like a Milton was getting beatdown by some gorilla.

And I would understand, and while not exactly "prepared" for some aggressive response from the PD, I accept that I might be seen as an additional "bad guy" by responding units. Cops are humans and when one of their own is down, they take that seriously.

What I can not live with, for me personally, would be to witness something and spend the rest of my days wondering "What if I could have done something?".

I am pretty sure my old man would be waiting for me in the afterlife to get an answer to that question. :eek:

16. bkt

bkt New Member

Is this a test? Who the heck wouldn't stop to render assistance to the cop -- or anyone -- by getting the guy off him?

(Flip it around: if it was a big cop pounding the bejeebus out of someone, I'd stop then, too.)

17. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Apparently, many would rather break out the video camera.

I posted awhile back about assisting an officer who fell and was injured. I still see her around, and she still thanks me each time.

With the anti-cop sentiment I often see pop up even here, I sometimes ask these things just to make sure I'm not alone in respecting what these guys do for us.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Something like this & then later ask the officer if he has any contraband i can help him dispose of. ;)

edit*Unless it was JCSO deputy; i wouldn't even slow down for a bribe solicitation gone wrong. I never turn my back on one of those boys, their department is & has been so full of corrupt scum bags no decent officer will stay.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  19. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Rewritten for local conditions:

You're driving along a fairly deserted road at night. You see the lights up ahead, a cop has someone pulled over.

As you get closer, you see some ground and pound going on. And the cop is recieving. He's alone, with no back up, and the guy doing the pounding is twice the cop's size.

You have your cell phone, which has no coverage outside the major cities since the Govt shut down the CDMA network, and a tyre iron in the back which you could not legally use anyway as the BG is unarmed.

What do you do?

20. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Hahaha pull over and politely request him to stop..