Are you familiar with the GFSZA ? = 5 years in Federal Prison

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by galapogos, May 23, 2012.

1. I don't have time.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. I don't care.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. I'm a casual drug user. Gotta stay low key.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. One person can't make a difference. Why bother.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I'm American. I expect tomone else to fight my fights for me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm the exception. I wrote my legislator or took other action.

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. galapogos

galapogos New Member

Is everyone familiar with the Gun Free School Zone Act?

You should basically know this....

If you go within 1000 feet of a school zone with a loaded gun or a gun that is not in a sealed carry case, in a state other than the one that issued your CCW, if caught you could face 5 years in Federal Prison and lose your right to own guns for LIFE.

In case you don't know, it's practically impossible to drive in any urban area and not violate this Federal law.

It effectively negates all state to state CCW reciprocity.

I would wager a bet that over half of the people here could think and come up with at least one time you violated this law and unknowingly risked a 5 year federal prison stint but simply weren't caught. Maybe more than half.

2. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

I can't be the exception because I live in a damn state where there isn't even CCW and in order to carry in CCW friendly states, we need to get out of state Utah, Florida etc. permits. This gun free school zone act is outrageous, especially considering how easy it is to unknowingly break the law. It reminds me of a similar law to protect people from the government where you can't be within a certain radius of them with a firearm.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

It is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to get to the range from my house without going through a school zone (very small private school). To get to it, and avoid the zone, you would have to a LOT of extra drivings.
    That said, the zone itself is very small. It literally takes 30s to get in, and out on a bad day.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Here's a couple of truth noirs of the American justice system for you:

1- It's literally impossible to obey every law, every where, all the time.

So if LE is intent on busting your balls, you're pretty much in for it,

anyway. They'll find something to put you away with.

2-These "laws to save us" do the exact opposite. Do you

really think the Virginia Tech gunman would have racked up

38 casualties, if folks on campus had been allowed to carry,

and had a chance to protect themselves?

3- Consider this; the laws like GFSZ and DFSZ being what they

are, what does a criminal have to lose, by carrying a gun when he's

dealing drugs at a school? Once again "well intentioned" law has

the opposite effect.

4- It's a good thing you and I know the law, because as simple

laymen, we are held to "ignorance of the law is no excuse". LEOs are

happily exempt from this burden, and are rarely held to fault when

they are ignorant of the same laws for which we are mercilessly forced to be

accountable. It almost makes you want to become a member of LE, so you

will be held less responsible...

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My home is within 1000 feet of a school zone. I have a class A ltc. If the police were going to hassle me for being outside my apartment with my sidearm it would have been done the day that the corrections officer in the next apartment over killed himself. I was outside with local and state police and swat all day long and I was armed and they knew.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Can you pick me out?

Attached Files:

7. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

This is the most stupid thing the US congress ever did. The first gun free school zones act was shot down by the US Supreme Court. The congress ginned up another version of the gun free school zones act citing the commerce clause.

Enforcement of the gun free school zones act is mostly left up to the states. Here in OK high school students are allowed to have long guns in their vehicles on school grounds so long as the gun is cased and out of sight. However, Vo Tech and colleges do not allow guns on campus, go figure. If the feds are after you on some trumped up bs thats another matter.

i would imagine police in states like CA, IL, NJ, and NY enforce the stupid law.

8. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Mountain I'm guessing you're the guy with the beard and hat?

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You are correct.
    Wow my beard was short.

10. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Now the name makes a lot more sense....:D

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol yep. You're not a truck are you? Lol

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

again - My post from a similar thread;

This is a case study in why our country is circling the drain!

"Central government's preeminent failure exists in its inability to distinguish between one’s behavior as innocent or malicious." - [​IMG]

13. galapogos

galapogos New Member

Alright, I figured most of you guys were already aware of this.

Someone voted "They don't care". I think that's pathetic. I'm glad most gun owners do care and are not so nonchalant about our gun rights being slowly eroded.

The number of people who want their rights and freedoms but will sit back and wait for everyone else to do the sacrificing for them makes me puke.

Aren't we slowly, progressively and persistently moving away from the free nation intended and toward a Police state ?

The nation is becoming deeply divided between those who value Constitutional Government and family values and those who only value self indulgence and personal comfort. The pervasive "Me Me Me" mentality is bringing us all down.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I voted I don't care. I am licensed to carry and live well within the 1000' range of a school zone. If it's not being enforced we have better things to worry about. If it were a poll about whether carrying should/should not be allowed on campus etc my stance would be different.

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The final line of your statement lends itself to my stance. Why concern ourselves with something not being enforced when gun ownership itself is a concern. Pick your battles.

16. galapogos

galapogos New Member

Very true. How do so many ignoramuses get into elected offices?

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Because only rich, priviledged people for the most part have the money and the connections necessary to be able to run a campaign. At voting time, we end up trying to guess which is the lesser of the evils - the guy who will get our jobs outsourced to China, but will let us keep our guns vs the guy who will let us keep our jobs but take away our guns and other things guaranteed by the Constitution, like privacy and freedom of speech.

18. levelcross

levelcross New Member

When I read about the GFSZA I took it to heart as there is a private school several hundred feet off of my property. I bought this home beside a church with a small school so I did not have to worry about someone building something beside me house. I shoot out back several times a month and always wait until the school is out for the day to make sure the children are not in harms way.

I also fired up the email brigade to voice my opinion on how stupid this really is. Am I supposed to keep my guns somewhere besides my home? How can I defend my family with a law like this on the books? Since when did criminals obey the law?????

19. galapogos

galapogos New Member

The fact you even need a license to carry shows you are already P'owned.

Going by your post, you don't understand the issues here. It is not about your rights in your own state. It's once you are out of your state. You may not, but a lot of gun owner's get around. It's the Feds making State's rights on Gun laws null and void.

That's how they get us, one little step at a time.
    Lose enough battles and you'll certainly lose the entire war.

20. galapogos

galapogos New Member

Hmmmm.....

To reiterate...

GFSZA as it relates to Concealed carry is not about schools near you. Most states allow you to carry within 1000fr of schools in your own state (where the license was issued and where you were certified gun competent) It's about the Feds ability to slap law abiding citizens who have valid CCW's and visit other states with reciprocal Concealed Carry laws with 5 years in Federal prison and bar you from ever again owing a gun..

You are to be commended for actually doing something regardless. ;)