Are you an ammo hoarder?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mouser, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Mouser

Mouser Member

With all the violence in the media, I have heard it stated a few times that the shooter had a hoard or cache of ammo and weapons...knowing that I'm listening to the uneducated, I dismiss most of this...still, the media has a pofound impact on what other people think.

While I am not going to divulge how much ammo I have on a public forum, I think most non-gun people would call me a hoarder. I have accumulated enough ammo and reloading supplies to go a 3-4 year period with no ammo supply and to sustain my shooting habits at maybe 80% of my current 'burn' rate. And over the years, I have accumulated several calibers which further compounds the need for ammo.

There is no right answer, but how much ammo/rounds is a hoard in your mind and how much do you think the uneducated will view as a hoard?

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

If you have a brick of .22lr the media will make you out to be an ammo hoarding psychopath.

3. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

You should have at least enough ammo for your lifetime & as much as your kids lifetime

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I read one report in the national media where the "gunman" had an arsenal of weapons and an ammo dump in his basement. turned out to be a double barrel shotgun, a .22 rifle and less than 100- rounds of ammo.:mad:.

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

It's continued programming of the human mind.

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I abhor hoarders. I try to buy all of it before the hoarders show up.

7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Theyd have a field day with all of the" bomb making" reloading equipment in my basement

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am simply a gun collector. I have a lot of different caliber guns in my safe. I have stuff from world wars. I also have stuff that is still in production. But I shoot somewhere around during 20 different calibers. Several of them are obsolete. But I shoot them all. I do not buy ammo. I make all my own. What if I want to go out and shoot 100 rounds of 357 Herrett through my Thompson Contender? That is a fired 30-30 Winchester case that is resized and necked up to accept a 357 caliber bullet. You can't get those at Walmart. I shoot 4 calibers like that. I also have several rifles that you can't even find ammo for at Cabelas. If I only kept 100 rounds for each caliber that I load...that would be something like 2500 rounds of stuff that I only shoot once in a while. Of course I have a couple of bricks of 22lr.

Now let's talk about the fact that I am an IDPA competitor. I am a safety officer. So I am always at the match. I usually load 500 to 1000 rounds at a time for my 1911. And I go through it pretty fast. Plus I have several boxes of self defense ammo for my carry guns in an ammo can in my safe.

Most of the people on this forum would think this is a normal amount of ammo. People that don't shoot would think I am crazy. But what is the point of owning any gun that you don't have ammo for?

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Add to that a couple guns that use it and you have: "An arsenal with hundreds of rounds of ammo."

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The media are hogs at the trough. They are so busy making some ho-hum

story into a big deal, they carelessly discard the truth, and wind up being

the patsies of the left.

11. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ammo hoarding , what's ammo ...? :confused: :eek:

12. locutus

13. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

All kidding aside.......Time to stock up.. Police Dept's are changing the way they patrol. 2 to a car now in alot of communities is protocol.. Ive been talking to my Brother's and other LEO i know... Much slower response times in some areas due to limited staff spread thinner... This is just the beginning... If we don't shut down the BLM bull5hit.....and get behind, beside, and in front, of our Police Departments..

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

By the definition of the news media, the loose rounds under the seat of my pickup constitutes a hoard of ammunition.

And I must have thousands of rounds of .177 caliber ammo for that rifle in the corner.

daisy red ryder.jpg

15. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

A gun without ammo, is nothing more than a heavy paperweight

16. locutus

Stock at least 5 times as much as you needs. If the SHTF, AT LEAST 4 of four stupid friends/neighbors won't have any ammo. You will need them to back you up and help defend the neighborhood.

They almost all have guns, but few have ammo. My next door neighbor has a fancy $2500+ tricked out, scoped AR-15, and he buys just enough ammo for the day when he goes to the range. He's an excellent marksman, and would be a great ally in a bad situation, but I would have to supply the ammo.:(

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ammunition ????

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I just like boxes. Yeah, that's the ticket. BOXES. Wooden boxes.

Yeah...........

ammo storage.jpg

18. jeffm

jeffm New Member

When it goes on sale I usually buy a few cases, my family thinks it's crazy but I am not just gonna buy a box or two. I especially go crazy when buying shotgun shells, local places have 250 shells for around $50.00 for either federal or estate shells. I tend to load up on it. I do however need to buy a few cases of slug rounds.

19. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Working on it!!!!:D

20. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

the media would have a field day if they ever saw my "arsenal" and "ammo hoard"!!!!:p