Are we done with sub .10 per round 22lr?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Vincine, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Yes? No? Maybe? Why?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Maybe. The ammo is returning. Slowly- because it is being snapped up as it shows up.

But I said maybe for a reason. That reason is the increase in inflation, and the diminished buying power of the dollar. Check out the price of a can of beans- you cannot buy those for what you used to pay.

Even when the ammo is back, the cost of producing it is higher than it was. Thank you, Washington DC!

3. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i think sub 10 cents is everywhere (average i see is 6-8 cents a round), although not easy to find due to being bought up very quickly. the 4 or 5 cents a round of the pre-panic is almost non existent though....:mad:

and yes, we could get back to normal prices....but not enough folks in the shooting sports seem willing to stop buying up, shooting up, scalping or hoarding all the 22 they can find. :(

every place that sells ammo should have a sign that reads:

Attached Files:

4. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

A few stores around here are stocked, but they want 50$+ for a bulk back of Remington golden bullets. I kind of want to tell the owner he's part of the problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

tell him that you refuse to buy anything from him because of his inflated prices.

then he'll know he's part of the problem. :mad:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I DID buy a 500 pack of Federal last week. $26. Dick's. About 5.1 cents per round.

7. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I'm sad to say I bought a 333 pack of Winchester at the LGS in town for $23 dollars. I think it runs $18 at Walmart. And I think that is where they got it from. But it was the only bulk pack I've seen in almost a year. And I was down to less than 100 rounds. I picked up 150 blazer at Walmart last weekend for $2.50 a box and 100 rounds of federal at bass pro for $2.30.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

If it doesn't drop back down soon, I predict a switch to .38's or 9mm's for the plinking fun by a lot of people. That wouldn't really be a bad thing as far as their preparedness for a self defense or CHTF situation and would almost certainly be cheered on by the squirrel population.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

I haven't seen reasonably priced .22 LR (with one exception) in over a year. That one exception, I bought it. I was basically out of it.

We aren't able to shoot anything as much as we'd like lately. I suspect when we're back to shooting a normal amount, .22 fun will be rare.

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

Its already getting there on a limited basis. As I said in another thread, a couple weeks ago the local Wally-World had boxes of 100 for $7/limit 3. Also it could depend on what happens in November and if congress will grow some stones (fat chance) and stand up to Barry. Now if and when the price gets back to sorta reasonable, anyone on this forum that lets themselves get caught short the next time this happens, which it will, just needs to sit down and be quiet. There was a primer shortage in the late 90's and as soon as they started flowing again I ordered 40K. Still using and still buying.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well hot dang. I guess the trick is to post about not finding .22 at a decent price.

Today at Wally World with the wife we found .22. Not on the shelves, mind you. But the manager, who might've been flirting with me (a dude........) told me they just got a shipment in when I asked. I then asked if I would be able to buy it tonight. He let me. He told me there's a limit on it. But then a few minutes later he asked me how many boxes I wanted.

I was told by my more reasonable half that one was our limit. So we left with a 550 round box of Federal for about $22 ish.

Woohoo!

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We will see 22 LR ammo under 10 cents a round in the near future. Eventually people will quit buying 22 LR ammo. I am seeing ammo on a regular basis for around 13 cents a round. I am not looking to buy 22 LR ammo. I am sure I could find 22 LR ammo for less than 13 cents a round if I made it my business.

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The cheapest .22 I've found so far was so much per round, I can reload some calibers of ammo for less. :mad:

Pretty bad when I can reload for an odd ball caliber like 7.62 Nagant for less than I can buy .22 LR.

14. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Beast: if you check Ammoseek's 22 listings, many vendors are selling that box for $87.50-$100!!(that's 33 to 50% higher) I'd do $50 on 525 GB's. It is a bit high still, but if I had none and I walked into the store....The most I was able to find at a"Semi- reasonable" price was the 100's($13.49 at my indoor Range/GS) and the 225's at $28( at another shop, who's co-owner Drove to a sporting Goods Dist. Somewhere in S. Utah to buy them in bulk just to get them at a good price, and didn't Jack up the price, so he can't be making too much.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

15. mboylan

mboylan New Member

If you look at currency indexes, the dollar is fairly steady state. The inflation we see in food is due to gas prices and demand due to overpopulation. Gas is where it is because of an exponential growth of the middle class in Asia. The oil companies are exporting huge amounts of gasoline and jet fuel because they can get a better price in Asia than the US.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Fed has been trying to devalue the dollar for quite a while. Devaluing the dollar is a gimmick to revive manufacturing in the US. Devaluing the dollar will help manufacturers turn a profit. But the key to reviving manufacturing in the US is turning a profit by making the best products, not by making the cheapest stuff possible.

17. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Well they haven't. The dollar index has averaged about 82 over the last ten years and inflation minus volatile items has been low. Food and energy are high for the reasons explained.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I play a game that is based in Canada. It costs $80 a year Canadian to play the game. When I started playing the game in 2005 it cost $45 in American money to play. This year it was $80 American to play. Pay Pal is doing the currency exchange, it is accurate.

If the dollar is only worth half of what it was worth 9 years ago how is inflation at 0%? I can cherry pick some items so that it looks like the dollar is worth more than 10 years ago. The rate of inflation figured by the government is based on the prices of a handful of durable goods. The fed doesn't use the prices of milk and eggs to figure inflation. Hell, the fed doesn't even use the cost of farm goods to figure inflation. Ten years ago I could get a ton of fertilizer/herbicide for less than $200 and the fertilizer vendor put the fertilizer out in my fields. Now the same ton of fertilizer is $1,800. Plus, I have to go get the fertilizer at a rail head and apply it myself. I would really like to see your zero inflation math.

19. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

oh the good old days , a box from my old stash

Attached Files:

20. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

Just found 3 50rd boxes of Federal .22LR at my local Walmart this morning for $2.47 a box. It's out there, just not much of it. .05 a round