are wasr 10/63s crap?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Abc1911, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Abc1911

Abc1911 New Member

I hear they are hit and miss some have canted sights loose wobbly magazines wobbly handguards, gas leaks ect. Are these rifles really that bad? Does anybody own one? Can you fix it up n make it run like a champ? If anyone owns one please tell me what you think about it I'd like to hear from the owners any problems? Post pics if you can! :D

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I dont have one. But as others said and you said.. they are hit and miss. Some are great with no problems or sort ever. And anyway it is a decent price AK. Can't expect it to be the better or best one. Im sure others who own them will give their opinions.

3. rm7077

rm7077 New Member

I had one, went everytime but accuracy wasn't the best, it was ok but not like a at at 100 yards

4. rm7077

rm7077 New Member

5. nfafan

nfafan New Member

No. Not crap. Just ugly. In a good AK kinda way that is!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  6. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

With a little bit of work they aren't ugly anymore. Zero problems, had some double feeds but that was from a warn out mag spring

ForumRunner_20121018_002453.jpg

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I've had a couple. The first one was an early one and it was pretty rough. It was 100% reliable, didn't group really well with any ammo but was still reasonably accurate.

The one in the picture above is a more recent version and it seems that it is put together a bit better than the first one I had. It too has been reliable with FMJ, HP, and sift point ammo. It does actually group fairly well. It was spray painted black from muzzle to butt when I got it. It took a little work to clean all the spray paint off and refinish the wood. It has some mag wobble, but not as bad as some.

Look for versions that have dates in the 1970s on the trunions along with a triangle with an arrow in it. They seem to be made with newer unused parts and seem to be out together better.

8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Have one and I am quite happy with it. Recently put in a bumpski with a 75 round Romainian drum on it. Then began shooting it. It was all over in less than eight seconds. Powerful! :D

9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Happy as hell with mine.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I bum one from a buddy of mine on a regular basis and it is reliable.

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

No...the WASR is an AK Variant, CRAP is something very different, usually left behind and most often flushed...HOWEVER

There are striking similarities between CRAP and GLOCK...:eek:

They both have the Same number of letters in there names, evoke similar facial expressions while handling, LOOK very much alike...

...and warm plastic can begin to smell...a bit. :p

Tack

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Just wanted to preserve this for ya'. :D

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

And Gello WINS...

That was a test to see who could count! :D

14. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Yea, I went to the browser on my phone and "liked this post". It's a hell of alot of trouble for me but worth it. I stumbled into the glock thread one night and barely got out of there intact. Fanatics !!

15. Akam

Akam New Member

For what I know, most of the canted ones were from old Cugir/RomArm imports that Century got. I've looked through a lot of WASR rifles these days and I can honestly say I've not seen one with a canted sight through the past year.

When it comes down to it as a standard AK rifle set aside from other AKM types, there are a few differences.
    1. Bead blasted metal, parkerizing/bluing - That gives it a rough look, but it really is just as finely made, aside from the occasional funky tolerances when it comes to internals.
    2. Magwell plates - The Soviets first started using these on RPKs first I believe, If I recall, it was to make the feeding more reliable or for the magwell or to be tougher under the stress of full auto fire. Some say the plates can fall out on WASRs easily, but I've never heard of such a thing before. What would make you think such a thing? Especially when the internal rails on an AK for the bolt carrier are spot welded in just the same as the magwell plates.
    3. Fugly wood - Oh, so you can't replace wood you don't like? Guess you'd better hate on the whole rifle then! No really, that's probably the biggest complaint I've heard from people other than canted sights. I mean really people, it's aesthetic!

I think that sums it up pretty alright.
    -A

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

mine has functioned great so far it goes bang everytime. it groups about 2-3 inches with cheapo ammo at 25yards.. at 100 yrds it take alot of effort and concentration to keep it inside a mansized target.. would i buy it again? yes!.. making steal clang at 50 yards or shooting targets at 25 is very fun, and cheaper to waste ammo on then the AR...

Attached Files:

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No real problems with mine after 5+ years.

18. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

There's a video on YouTube of a guy shooting his wasr at an 8" Target at 150 and 300 yards. At 300 yards he hits it almost every time. I used to think they were Untill I saw this an shot one. I was at 50 yards an I shot the doorhandle off the door we were shooting at for the day. Not a bad buy for the money I don't think. Check for the dreaded canted sights waa wa waaa.