Are Uberti c&b's any better?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Scratchammo, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I know this subject has been beaten to death but production quality always seems to fluctuate as time goes by depending on who's making what. I have owned a Pietta 1851 .44 back in 2003 & the quality was questionable, the barrel seemed slightly bent to the left & was confirmed after I grouped it. The screws also came loose after firing. I bought a stainless 1858 last summer from Cabelas when it was on sale. That barrel was also slightly bent, the screws didn't come loose but the barrel catch seems to be giving way. The loading lever also rubs against the cylinder. I also have a 5.5" Pietta 1858 with a blued finish, the barrel & screws are fine but the hammer isn't centered correctly & rubs on the left. The barrel catch gave way over a year ago & now there's a magnet holding the lever up. In short, I'm tired of Pietta & IMO their quality sucks:mad:. Any Uberti owners have problems with their c&b's?

Sorry Pietta owners but I'm one as well.

I will post pics soon.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Sorry for your bad luck. I've owned several Pietta's and they were all good. The only Uberti's I've had were 1873 cattlemen. The finish on one wasn't so hot and the screws came loose. Blue Loctite will take care of the loose screw problem but don't use red if you ever want to take it apart again.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Where did you buy your Piettas?

4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

They all came from Cabela's.

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

My first two were from Bass Pro & the stainless from Cabelas. Probably explains why the bp revolvers were on sale at the time, I think the quality control guys were hungover.

6. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I have no experience with the Pietta's, but I do have two Uberti's, a Walker-Colt C&B and a Model P (Peacemaker replica). I believe that both of these revolvers are very high quality in all respects including fit and finish. I have enjoyed sending many 100's of rounds downrange through each of them, and find them to be very accurate.

7. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

What size nipples are on that Walker?

8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I never got one from Bass pro but all the Cabela's were on sale. I do have an older 61 Navy made in 76 when Pietta's quality was questionable and it's just as nice and tight as the newer ones have been.

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I don't understand why everyone else has better luck with them but maybe fourth time's the charm.

10. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Anyone own a Cimarron c&b? I've heard their Uberti's are inspected twice.

11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Not a C&B but I have a Cimarron 1873 in 44-40. It's nice. Do have to keep an eye on the hammer screw tho.

12. Reinhard

Reinhard New Member Supporter

Uberti is way better than Pietta,I had a Walker Uberti and a Walker pietta,the action of the Uberti is much better
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYOJa8ZNxmE]YouTube - How It's Made - Uberti Revolvers[/ame]

13. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

To my knowledge Pietta never made a Walker. Are you sure that wasn't ASM?

14. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

#10 caps fit best on the Walker-Colt.

15. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

My Model P (.45 Long Colt) is an Uberti via Cimmaron. My Walker-Colt came from the Cabels'a catalog.

16. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

top is Cimarron Uberti, bottom is Uberti imported by Stoeger.

[​IMG]

Pietta

[​IMG]

Pietta

[​IMG]

Pietta

[​IMG]

17. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Older Pietta Navy made in 76, imported by Pioneer Arms.

[​IMG]

18. Reinhard

Reinhard New Member Supporter

:confused: hhhmm,yes the other walker was an ASM,difference between the Uberti and the ASM was that big that I sold the ASM after two weeks ,the guy who purchased the gun from me removed all the proofmarks gave it an antique look and she performs well as a wall hanger now, believe me the quality of your gun depends on the year of producing,my Walker Uberti was one of the first, serial 15,all the Ubertis I had where made early in the eighties and
    the quality from those period guns are better than the later production guns,I had recently a new Uberti Walker model in my hands ,and again I have to say that the blueing and finish on the early guns is better done ,but this only goes for the C&B revolvers and not for the single actions, I'm no fan of today's ASM replicas ,but I have one for about twenty years now and it is one of my favorit shooters,Pietta are good guns but the quality and finish of the (old) Uberti's is a bit better,

19. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

AWA bought out ASM in 2000 but if my memory is right ASM quit making percussion revolvers around 92.

20. PRM

PRM New Member

I have 2 Uberti C&B revolvers and two Cimarron(s). The two Cimarron cartridge guns needed some work right out of the box. But are good shooters now. The C&B(s) have been great from day one. No complaints on them.

My most recent was an Uberti 1858 (Remington) New Model Army .44 in SS that is really a nice gun. Great action, fit and finish #1.