are times changing?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by headhunter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. headhunter

headhunter Member

When old enough to head for the hills, we did. Early on my parents insisted on a knife, waterproof matches, and a compass.
    Here in MN the last two years have mad it apparent that a prudent person should be carrying.
    Our DNR (like many others) insisted we had no large cats until trail cams proved them to be mistaken. Coming from the northern portion of the state and at present residing in the southern part, I talk with outdoors people from International Falls ( the nephews) to Rochester). Hunting, camping, and 4-wheeling take me from one end of Minnesota to the other. Grey wolves (timber wolves) are found residing from north to south (one being shot in the Whitewater Valley being mistaken for a coyote was the official story: I almost dare to wonder if it wasn't how can a man be charged with shooting something the state says isn't there).
    Overnight the coyotes can lay down enough tracks that a body wonders how long it will be before some tragedy hits the news. I'm older, my children are grown, my grandchildren are not. I carry!

2. jacob_gatz

jacob_gatz New Member

I was hunting in the river bottoms this season and we saw 6 yotes in two days. Almost shot one at 20 yards for chasing my buck away. Times are changing, I always carry when I'm out in the woods, condition 1 ready to go.

3. jacob_gatz

jacob_gatz New Member

Between Hastings and Prescott,Wisconsin for location.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I do a lot of kayaking here at Lake Havasu. I have not carried while paddling but am rethinking after seeing mountain lions. The lake is on the CA - AZ border and while I can carry in AZ, I can not in CA. Mountain lions are protected in CA and they have killed a few people that were alone. I guess there is safety in numbers. We have coyotes in town. I have seen several just trotting down the street by my house. They keep the rabbits down.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. fmj

fmj Active Member

State of MI and IN "official" stand is there are no cougars in either state. Never saw a cat in IN yet, but too many rumors and even a trail cam pic from down south leads me to believe they are here. Just cause you aint seeing them dont mean they aint there. They ARE called the ghosts of the forest for a REASON!

In Michigan: (Dah Yooper)

I personally saw one with my own eyes east of Rapid River, MI in '97 and was stalked by a wounded cat in '00. (East of Rapid River)

How do i know i was stalked, one might ask?

Deer camp '00, i was living in my tent for 2 weeks. After 2 days of snow it finally let up in the early evening. The next morning I went out wandering to see what i could see. I cut a cat track in the snow. Started following it. Noticed cat was dragging one paw. Thought to myself, "hmmm wounded cat 300 yards from camp, this cant bode well!" continued to track with finger on the trigger of the 06. Came to a rise and thought, "Damn this looks familiar!" Saw where cat had laid down and where the tail had swished back and forth in the snow...looked over the rise and down on my camp!!:eek::eek::eek:

The night before i had stood out by the fire drinking beer and sipping whiskey whilst cooking a steak over an open fire. (i have a film of my beer next to the steak on the grill...it was so cold the beer was freezing in my hand so i had to put it on the grill to keep it "cold") That damn cat had laid not 20 yards behind and above me watching me cook!!

That night I broke a long standing rule in deer camp...instead of unloading the guns BEFORE starting the drinking I loaded every gun to the max and made sure there was one in the chamber. The 1911 on my hip, in condition 1 and easy to hand!

Scared the HELL outta me!! Black bears, wolves and cougars deep in the cedar swamps....not the place to be screwing around!!

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Times are definitely changing. Due to population growth & cities/towns spreading out, the wild critters are losing territory. Sad, but a fact of life. This means we can see them in areas that they would not have ventured in years past. Also, the animal rights people are trying to "reintroduce" species to areas where they have disappeared. Admirable idea, to save the wildlife, but every time humans try to meddle with nature, they mess it up.

I remember hearing about Austrailia putting a bounty on dingos, to lower the population. Ended up being over run with rabbits.:)

7. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

A number of years ago, Missouri's DNR released hundreds of Timber Rattle snakes to reintroduce them to Missouri forests. Now, if they stayed on state property I'd be fine with that.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

And rabbits are not native to Australia. They finally killed them off with a disease.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Even in the summer when I'm out cutting wood or hiking around my property, I always have a gun with me. You just never know what you might run into. Better to be prepared than dead.

10. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

We got a pretty bad bigfoot and yeti problem here in Pa..game rangers say we dont but them folks on the history channel seem to think/say otherwise hehehe

11. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

up until 15 years ago, no one thought we could have mountain lions in North Dakota. 10 years ago, one mauled a horse a few miles from my parents house, 5 years ago they started an experimental mountain lion season. now it's a regular thing, can't remember off hand but i think there's a limit of 10 total cats for the eastern 2/3 of the state, but for some of the western districts there is no limit. 3 or 4 years ago, in one of our little towns, a cat was holed up in a culvert near a golf course & playground. 2 years ago, a mountain lion was spotted & verified by authorities in the city limits of Bismarck, hell that means i'm not even safe at work anymore :D

but honestly mountain lions are the last thing i worry about when i'm in rural areas, all in all i think i have to worry more about the 2-legged predators moving into the state more so than the 4-legged ones.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have seen a mountain lion in the Sam Houston National Forest just outside of Huntsville, Tx. Stories abound of Black panthers in the area East of Huntsville.

Saw game cam photo's of a mountain lion in Eastern Travis County (Austin, TX) last year.

13. unclebear

unclebear New Member

pretty much up till last year I hadn't seen a bear in ky then last year I was coming home from work and there was a freakin black bear eating out of a guys garden. Animal control took care of it but we just never saw one in the town, then I was trapping later on the same year and I got a bob cat. Just because some desk jockie says that it's not out there or in that area does not mean sh*t, another prime example over near simpsons lake one of my buddies was hunting some property and he ended up shooting a hog and a 6 point buck, when most people didn't think we had hogs roaming around here.

Pretty much every time I go into the woods camping, hunting, hiking...etc, I carry when I can I carry a rifle just in case, I don't trust what the officials say esp when they sit behind a desk all day.

14. Judah_BenHur

Judah_BenHur New Member

Bears are the main thing here in the Blue Ridge Mtns. where I am. Though they will leave you alone most of the time. My neighbor likes his bird feeders and they are constantly getting up on the porch and ripping them down. I keep teasing him that he used to be worried about the squirrels raiding them. :p
    But feeders and trash cans are in essence 'baiting'. Usually, just step out the door and crack-off a couple rounds out of the .22 and they lumber away.

The worry part is when we're deep in the woods riding atv's or wandering around. Come across Mama bear and a cub or two...and she's not gonna just lumber away...so I always have the G23.
    Thank goodness that hasn't happened to me. I'd hate to hafta shoot a Mama bear. She's just protecting the young-uns against a 2-legged freak. I'd do the same thing. :D

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

You and me both. The dumb ba$#%&@- also brought back lynxs to missouri. I know....old man i hunt on borrowed one of my heavy game steel traps and caught it in his chickens. I also caught and killed a cougar at my grandmas on the niangua river last winter. It was after one of her calves. Needless to say when i ran traps after that i had my ragen bull on me besides my 22.

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Many years ago, my wife & a neighbor were on their way back from a trip to Austin & saw a mountain lion sitting on the side of a hill, not far from the highway, just watching the cars go by! :)

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The times are changing, IMO.

They made a man president that

McDonald's wouldn't give a Ronald

uniform to...

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Bush or obama?

19. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

In my opinion both.