Are These Safe to Shoot??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Trez, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

A friend of mine gave me some .38 Long Colt that he thought were wadcutters, but when we looked at them he noticed that there were gas checks in the cases. When pulled out the gas check at the mouth of the case there were BB's and another gas check underneath... Seems to be some old homemade snakeshot? Are these safe to shoot with out harming my gun?

Attached Files:

2. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Loads of this type have never done well for me. Mine were very safe for my weapons. I found that card board wads with waxed shot gave better pellet groupings. I did better with cut down 303 Brit brass out of a .44 Mag revolver, but only as a first shot. Small amount of recoil and the pellets and wax would move forward, falling away. Did the same with gas checks.

To your question. I can not speak for the specific loading, but the concept will not hurt your weapon.

If you have any question as to the safety of these, junk them. Your hands and eyes are not replaceable.

Be safe and enjoy.

OSOK

3. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

Excellent reply ^^^^

...woah.....spittinfire, no disrespect, but how is he going to identify the powder? Different powders, that even look the same, are going to require different weight loadings.....Trez, please don't do this, it is an unsafe practice......my opinion!! (course I know you know Trez....)

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

You could check the powder. If it happened to be red dot you could identify it.

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I shouldnt have a problem, I was wondering more about the projectile than pressure. I will be shooting these outta my Medusa, so pressure isnt really a issue, the cylinder is rated at 86,000 psi. :D

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You know what....you're right.

7. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Ah there you go again with bragging about that dang medusa. ;)

Just giving ya a hard time.

8. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

From what you have shown me there is no way I would shoot them. I have seen some loaders do goofy things and I tend to be pretty cautious.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That is the same kind of shot shells I make for my .41 Mags. They do not pattern as nicely as the Speer shot capsules, but they work. It would be hard to imagine an unsafe load using this payload.